Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

Not sure if anybody still reads this thread but wondering if somebody has a good recipe for yakamein?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

It's Dungeness crab season so I made a gumbo using Alton Brown's oven roux method and crab shell stock last week. It was delicious but I'm not sure I ever want to make crab stock in my home again - it took 5 days for the smell to clear out (not helped by being unable to open up all the windows for a while due to weather) and after the first day or so it made things pretty gross. Roux method was easy and foolproof, I don't think I'll ever bother making it on the stove.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yeah, I run my vent hood close to max whenever I make shellfish stock…it’s potent.

No vent hood for my gas stove slumlords ftw

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

Shooting Blanks posted:

You always have the option of oven roux - it takes noticeably longer, but is apparently much more consistent and less prone to burning. Plenty of recipes online, or I'm sure someone here has a link to one they like.

It's basically impossible to mess up this way and you can watch a movie or do anything else around the house while it's cooking. Equal parts flour to oil at 350 degrees for 11/2 to 2 hours, set a timer and stir once every half hour. At the end you might end up with a little extra oil, just pour it off and you're good to go.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

neogeo0823 posted:

Am I heathen for making my gumbo with roux, okra, and file powder? I kind of hope not, but also, I don't care if I am, seeing as I just got done with a silky smoooooth gumbo for my work lunches this week.

File powder is usually recommended to be stirred into bowls individually, if you stirred it in to be reheated later for work lunches did it affect the texture at all when you chilled and reheated?

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

pandy fackler fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

pandy fackler fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 22, 2024