Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Question about the OP gumbo recipe. When it says to remove the roux from the heat, and then add the vegetable trinity, is all you are doing literally just moving the pot over from the heated surface to a non-heated surface while adding those 3 things, then moving it back when adding the chicken stock?

Also is there a more precise measurement for the stock? There are different sized boxes so I'm not sure what 3 boxes means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Just attempted the gumbo. It's cooking now. I never managed to get the roux chocolate brown. It ended up being dark yellow-tanish, and the consistency ended up more like porridge, so I think I put too much flour in? I'm currently in the 4 hour simmer phase, and it looks like the attached image below. Not sure how badly I messed it up, but hopefully it will be edible. Any tips for next time on how to get a dark brown roux?

During the simmer phase, what do you guys normally bring the heat down to? Also lid of the pot on or off?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 26, 2015

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Your roux is undercooked. You've made a big pot of bechamel. Did you use oil or lard, and what was your ratio of flour to fat? 1:1 should be plenty. And like Zaepho says, roux-cooking is a multiple-beer affair. Like 2-3 beers, or as some old timers like to say, one side of an LP.

I used 1 1/2 cups of butter to 2 cups of flour like it said in the recipe. I couldn't find lard in the grocery store. I melted all the butter 100%, then stirred the 2 cups of flour in gradually over 25 minutes. My roux looked exactly like this google search image I've attached. Should I have just kept stirring for another 10-20 min?

Only registered members can see post attachments!