Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Is cornbread Creole/Cajun? Or is that more of an inland/Appalachia thing? Either way, goddamn I want some jambalaya. My buddy's dad used to make it growing up. This thread has given me a hankering to make it; thanks for the recipe.

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Made the jambalaya recipe from the OP. Killer. Used my own homemade chicken stock, skipped the tomato paste because the fartsypants grocery store by my house doesn't carry any. I dumped in a bit of the local ale I was drinking even though I had stock on hand, because yum beer. Did it stovetop and it worked fine, no scorching on the bottom, maybe because of the extra liquid from the beer. Thanks!

e: Also used brown rice because I like it and it's what I had on hand.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Breaky posted:

Nice! That's really cool. How did you like it with brown rice? I've used that before in gumbo and etoufee but never in Jambalaya yet since the rice: liquid ratio is more important and I never got comfortable enough to put a different grain in there.

Also yeah on the beer, just finishing up a tupperware for lunch today of the last pot of Jambalaya I had that used beer almost entirely as the liquid added and can still notice the nice flavor coming through from that. Definitely using it heavily in the next batch.

I added the beer after the tomatoes and before the stock. It didn't feel like the tomatoes had dropped in enough liquid to stop the rice toasting. It was kind of a spontaneous "No burn rice! :downs:" thing so I just eyeballed it. Maybe 1/2c or so. I probably just about lucked into the right amount of extra liquid to handle the brown rice, because the texture seems about what's described as correct, and the rice at the bottom was just starting to form a crust that was easily scraped and folded in with the parsley and onions.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

I don't know what it's like in Louisiana, but round Californy-way, tomatoes are way cheaper than almost any meat, and shrimp and other seafood cost approximately their weight in human flesh, so I'll be adding tomatoes to things and I'd better not take any guff about being a fancy-pants!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

So, someone told me "holy trinity" was equal amoumts by volume of chopped onion, chopped bell pepper, and mashed garlic. How religious is the onion-pepper-celery version seen in this thread and how sacreligious is the onion-pepper-garlic version i've heard elsewhere? Because boy howdy, garlic is the best. If celery is canon I may just have to include it while tripling or quadrupling the garlic content in most cajun recipes (I do this with most recipes anyway, mmmm garlic).

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong, then. Thanks!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

What makes "good" or "correct" andouille? I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere besides "pork, smoked." Lots of people say chunky and non-homogenous with big chunks of fat (like sopresetta or salami is) but then I found out some big-shot old-school Louisiana chef swears by blending and milling to get a smooth, pate- or bologna-like homogenous texture.

What gives? What is andouille, what defines it? not even wikipedia is very clear beyond "pork, smoked." Is that it?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Hollis posted:

Just make sure the sausage does not contain fennel. This is important do not buy sausage that contains fennel and put it in gumbo, you just put breakfast sausage in your gumbo and it's disgusting. On it's own good not so much in gumbo.

If I smoke some spicy Italian sausage, is the fennel in it going to gently caress up the works? Or is it just not a flavor natural to cajun/creole food? A local butcher has awesome and cheap spicy italian links.

e: though I guess I could also try to talk the butcher into making andouille...

ee: thanks for the info though! especially the part about smoked vs raw + liquid smoke being an important distinction.

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 22, 2013

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Cayenne powder and white vinegar got me through a drought without my beloved egg condiment Tabasco (what the gently caress podunk grocery store doesn't carry tabasco, loving rural Colorado).

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Fo3 posted:

I don't know if they first mix list is authentic, but I'm totally using 2t of that spice mix in the beans and rice I'm cooking right now, (along with some cumin, a bay leaf and extra chilli). E: Giving it a try with smoked paprika as a veg beans and rice needs all the help it can get. :(

Just spotted this, but with vegetarian dishes, especially ones that would typically get meat stock, butter is your good friend who is here to help. I'm too broke to afford meat right now, but a tablespoon of butter per 1/2c of dry beans makes a big difference, not just with flavor, but with texture too. Rice gets a lot less, more like a teaspoon per 1/2c dry.

Vegetable stock lacks the gelatin of simmered bones, but a little cornstarch thickens it up nice. Shouldn't be needed for rice or gumbo, but with beans or soup it can make a big difference.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Mushika posted:

So apparently what I've had as "green gumbo" isn't exactly that. Years ago, when I was vegetarian, some friends and I would make "green gumbo" by starting a gumbo the traditional way with a roux, trinity, maybe some garlic, and then incorporating the stock (vegetable at the time). After that got well and going, we'd chop up a bunch of turnip, collard, and/or mustard greens and stew them until just tender. A delicious stew of greens to be sure, but recently I've discovered that was not quite a gumbo z'herbes. Seems like a green gumbo has a much larger amount and variety of greens, and tends to be more blended. Most pictures I've seen makes it look comparable to an Indian saag.

It's not something I've seen in restaurants that I've been to, though I guess I could try asking for it off-menu during Lent. I've looked up recipes and it looks delicious, but I was wondering if any south Louisiana goons have a favorite recipe or maybe a certain preparation their family typically uses.

e: A friend told me to try Dooky Chase, has anyone tried theirs?

This sounds amazing. I love saag and southern greens both. If you find a recipe, please post it.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Canned tomatoes are picked ripe and in season, and canned more or less immediately. Grocery store tomatoes in February are... well, they're summer vegetables, in a grocery store, in February.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

That wasn't the point; the point is that, unless tomatoes are in season, canned usually is better.

e: but yeah, a bird in the hand. Use what you have first.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

The local grocery store had tilapia and squid both on sale so i grabbed some and made a fish stew that ended up tasting a lot like blackened fish. It's been a long time since I had blackened fish, but I sauteed an onion, two bulbs of garlic, and a goodly amount of crushed red pepper to form the base, and that's just how it came out. Delicious.

What are the seasonings for blackened fish? Did I just stumble upon them?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

That's a helluva a commutment to wreck the seasoning on a pan. I have a stainless steel/copper bottom pan I keep unseasoned, would that do the trick? Or would I be at risk for melting the copper bottom? I only have one cast-iron pan and I'm not wrecking the seasoning even if it means getting seared instead of blackened

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, a little cayenne or red pepper flakes go a long way. You can always add hot sauce to taste but once you've got too much heat in the pot you're in it for the duration.

Paprika can be useful for getting more peppery flavor without overshooting on heat. That may not be traditionally correct though, I'm not sure.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

If I were to substitute bacon for andouille in something, because it's a pain in the rear end to find for non-fuckoff gluten free people prices, what spices would I need to add to help get closer, since the bacon just has salt, sugar, (sometimes pepper) and smoke?

or if there's a better substitute I can find at a regular grocery store on the west coast that poors like me go to, that would be helpful too.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

I was taught to at least quick-soak at a minimum: bring beans & a lot of water to a boil, cover with lid, set heat to low. After 1-2h, strain and dump the gassy fartwater.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

I pickled some okra this summer, and just finished eating the first jar. The brine got thickened by the okra; is the brine useful for gumbo? There has to be some precedent; I can't be the first person to wonder about this.

Normally pickle brine gets re-used for pickling eggs, but this stuff seems too thick to use for that. It's got the consistancy of a very light syrup.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Sorry if this has been covered before, I couldn't find specifics:

Let's say smoking is 100% out. No patio, no grill, no hot smoker, no cold smoker, no outdoors, no DIY cardboard box with a sautering iron and a tin can full of wood chips, nothing. Nothing but an oven and a spice cabinet.

That's my situation. Two questions:
1) Good options for smoky spices? Liquid smoke seems the obvious choice, but what about dry options? How does smoked paprika compare to liquid smoke?
2) What oven situation would approximate a smoker in terms of temperature and dry air? 200F and a roasting pan, or should I pop for some sort of wire rack? I have a V-rack for poultry; something like that? It's not a convection oven, either, so should I set the temp higher on the oven than it would be in the smoker to make up for the fact that air is circulating in a smoker but stagnant in an oven?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Hopper posted:

Q: being in Germany I can't find Andoulli(sp?). What sausage can I substitute?

knockwurst is probably the closest german equivalent, but i'm no expert