Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

Well poo poo, look at the size of that gem I coerced from the rocks. I'm buying the stuff to do this later on in the week as i type this. What Creole seasoning mix do you guys use? I mixed up a recipe i found online back last year, but failed to take into account the fact that it's like 50% cayenne pepper, and so it's all spice and nothing else. Can I get away with store bought mix, or is there a special blend you guys recommend?

I'm not actually a good source as a New Yorker, but I like to cook cajun/creole from time to time and don't like to buy packaged mixes since I have a ton of spices already. I settled on this, based on cobbling a bunch of poo poo off the internet together and simplifying it (and not using any salt since I like to salt separately):

3 parts hot paprika (it should be hot paprika, if you use sweet, toss in some cayenne. I usually use Spanish smoked paprika because I'm addicted to it, but Hungarian is probably more typical)
3 parts garlic powder (or a split between garlic and onion powders)
2 parts dried oregano
2 parts dried thyme
1 part ground black pepper
1 part celery seed (not celery salt, that 100% celery poo poo)

It works well for me, but I'd love any comments from actual cajuns or New Orleanians if it's all wrong. (Just noticed the one in the OP has allspice also, I should try that...)

Scythe fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I don't know linguisa well enough, nor do I technically know portuguese chorizo, but both mexican chorizo and spanish chorizo are not good substitutes for andouille at all. You want something that's smoked and not dried, generally with a finer texture than chorizo; if you've got Polish people around, kielbasa is fairly decent (sorry, actual cajuns in the thread).

That said, I bet gumbo made with any of these sausages would be pretty good anyway. And you don't need sausage to make gumbo, necessarily. If you make a good stock and use the best 2-3 kinds of protein you have (any shellfish, lots of kinds of fish, dark meat chicken) and do a good job with your roux (or your okra or file or whatever) it will be good.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I had no idea mirlitons were a thing; they appear to be the same thing as chayote which I can get easily. How else are they usually used in creole/cajun cooking?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Made a pot of beans yesterday. Lately I’ve been throwing in some duck fat in at the beginning and a big spoon of whole grain mustard in at the end, both of which I’m enjoying. Anyone else have any tweaks to their red beans recipe (beyond the standard beans, andouille, trinity, garlic/thyme/bay/cayenne)?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Looks great. I’ve gotta make some.

(And thanks That Works for the fish sauce suggestion upthread, I’ll definitely add that.)

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Those shrimp look a lot like oysters.

But seriously, drat, all that looks delicious.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
That is a great post that should be linked from the OP. Closest thing to a gumbo bible I’ve seen.

I didn’t see it in the roux section but what’s your opinion on rendered chicken fat for the roux? Last couple gumbos, I’ve skinned my chicken, then chopped up the skin and rendered out its fat. Then I strain and use the fat for my roux, plus I get chicken cracklins which make a great garnish (I also do scallions and parsley), and I have to do way less skimming later since most of the chicken’s fat is in its skin.

Gotta find some andouille so I can make a gumbo this week. It might be a seafood one though since my shellfish-allergy-having girlfriend will be away and I should take advantage…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Personally I don’t use Crystal for heat. When I cook cajun/creole, the food is already spicy enough from cayenne/etc when it hits the table (I also often throw in chopped jalapeños with my trinity, even though I bet that’s heretical). The Crystal’s there for a pop of acid and color, it’s almost a garnish.

It does kill on eggs too though.