Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Just made red beans and rice for the first time this week, and was asked to post it in here. Here's the finished product:

I am not a vegetarian, but I cook almost exclusively vegetarian for a variety of reasons, so stuff like ham or andouille don't generally show up in my food. I'm going to post the recipe as I made it in case anyone else wants it -- it's similar to the vegan one posted earlier -- with some notes on what departures I took from the recipe after:

quote:

Vegetarian/Vegan Red Beans and Rice

Ingredients

Oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 rib of celery, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp cayenne
4 bay leaves
1 lb dried red kidney beans, rinsed and picked over
7 cups vegetable stock
4 cups water
1 tsp liquid smoke
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Definitely do all your prep in advance because this has like 3 steps.

1. Put a bunch of oil in a big pot over medium heat. I rarely measure my oil so I don't know how much. A bunch. Add onion, pepper, celery. Yes, we have to buy those things separately outside of Louisiana, we can't just go to the store and buy a tub of trinity. Sauté til soft, about 8 minutes, stirring frequently.

2. Add garlic, cook 30 seconds or so, til fragrant. Add literally everything else except the liquid smoke.

3. Turn heat up to high, bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Simmer uncovered until beans are tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add liquid smoke near the end.

Make rice separately. I am presuming no one needs instructions on making rice. Serve over rice with hot sauce.

Notes on and departures from original recipe:

1. Original recipe called for bacon and andouille sausage, starting with the bacon for the fat. I omitted them and I did not replace them with anything, and I kept the other proportions as listed.

2. I used white pepper instead of black pepper because for some reason in my head that was the authentic thing to do. Everyone in here seems to be using black pepper so I'm assuming that's not true.

3. Original recipe called for 7 cups stock and 7 cups water. I ran out of room in my pot at 7 cups stock and 4 cups water and it was good; I might even use less next time.

4. 1 tsp of liquid smoke is not bad but I might up it slightly next time.

5. This thread says red kidney beans are okay but not authentic. My NOLA friend I consulted says they are authentic. I have no idea.

I know most of you don't need the recipe, but since most of them include pork I thought it would be handy for the veggie types. I have never had proper Louisiana red beans and rice, so I have nothing to compare it to except Popeye's, but my NOLA friend gave it a thumbs up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks y'all. Getting a thumbs up from locals on one of a region's signature dishes is a huge compliment and means a lot to me. :)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Is that true of pretty much all beans? I did it with dry pinto beans last night -- I made the borracho beans recipe Gravity posted in the first page of the POT BEANS thread -- and they were good in about that timeframe, but I wasn't sure if I could do that for all beans. I usually use cans because I often don't have the foresight to soak, but if I can use dried straight off if I'm willing to wait an hour or two then I can use a lot more dried.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks. I am gonna eat so many beans.

And yeah, generally anything I simmer gets brought to a boil briefly before being reduced to simmer, unless it's something that can't be boiled.