Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
How are all you people eating gumbo with no potato salad on the side? Shameful. Also, I like half and half pork sausage and andouille sausage + chicken in gumbo. I'd do seafood if I could get away with it, but the only seafood my wife will eat is boiled crawfish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Breaky posted:

Trinity was always, and I mean always, onion, celery, bell pepper, never heard anyone say otherwise. But yeah, we used garlic considerably depending on the recipe.

Maybe it's like the John the Baptist to the Trinity.... :v:

It's always been onion, celery, bell pepper. The garlic comes from the creole side of things specifically some of the Caribbean influences. If you've ever had authentic Puerto Rican food, you'll notice that there's garlic in everything.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Someone have a decent recipe for jambalaya? I tried this (cut down since I don't need to feed an army) http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/poultry/chicken18.htm Every time I do it, it comes out greasy as gently caress making it borderline inedible. It's hard finding pork sausage in Texas so I end up buying a ton when I visit family in south Louisiana, but I'd rather not waste it on lovely jambalaya.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Klyith posted:

The third post on the first page is a pretty easy standard jambalaya. You don't need a lot of extra fat like that recipe you found, just enough veg oil to brown the meat. The sausage and chicken fat should be enough (particularly if you're using thighs). In the middle of winter I just use a can of diced tomato rather than whole tomatoes.

Oven-finished is way easier than cooking it the whole time on the stovetop -- stovetop is easy to scorch the bottom if you don't stir occasionally or have a super-low heat setting.

I brown my chicken in a separate pan at the same time as my veg & sausage sauteing in the main pot, cause I use more veg in my recipe than That Works. Also you can throw some ham in a jambalaya if you have leftovers or get a small ham steak. It's an anything goes thing.

??? Just normal kielbasa / smoked sausage in the grocery store will do the job.
Thanks I'll try that recipe!

Everything is beef sausage and I find it has a different texture and taste compared to pork. We always used pork sausage growing up and I'm trying to get a taste of back home.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Doom Rooster posted:

Where in Texas are you? In Austin, every HEB I have checked in carries one small row of Cajun Hollar andouille, which is pretty passable actually.

Dallas. I'm in north Plano aka Vanillaville, USA.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Doom Rooster posted:

My old stomping grounds! Vanillaville indeed. Your Eatzi's there may actually carry good andouille. Definitely make the trip down to Hebert's (cajun butcher) at some point though. Just a quick trip down the tollway to Inwood.

Didn't know it existed! I'll be sure to do that. Thanks!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

the_chavi posted:

I spent the weekend in Lafayette for a wedding. I'm still gumbo hung over, but I just had king cake for breakfast, so...

Everything about this statement is correct.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

GEEKABALL posted:

Daube.txt

● 3 lbs rump roast
● 5 garlic cloves, 2 slivered and 3 minced
● salt, pepper, Creole seasoning
● 2 tablespoons olive oil
● 1 large onion, chopped
● 1 bell pepper, chopped
● 2 celery ribs, chopped
● 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
● 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
● 1 cup red wine
● 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
● 1 tablespoon italian seasoning I (used bouquet garni)
● 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (more like ⅛)
● 1 pinch sugar
● 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped (I added chopped
green onion or chives)
DIRECTIONS
1. With sharp knife or ice pick, punch holes in the roast, about 2 inches
apart, and stuff with slivers of garlic.
2. Rub roast generously with salt, pepper, and Creole seasoning.
3. Heat oil in a heavy pot or Dutch oven, and brown roast well on all
sides over medium-high heat.
4. When browned, take roast out of pot and set aside.
5. In the same oil, saute onion, bell pepper, and celery over medium
heat until soft, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Add minced garlic and cook 5 more minutes.
7. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring frequently, almost until it begins
to brown, about 10 minutes.
8. Add tomato sauce and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally,
for about 5 minutes.
9. Add wine, beef broth, Italian seasoning, cayenne, salt if needed, and
sugar, and stir well.
10. Return roast to pot, fat side up, turn fire to low, cover and simmer
for 4 hours until roast is very tender.
11. Stir well every hour and turn roast over half way through cooking.
12. Slice roast thickly and return to sauce.
13. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with spaghetti (or pasta of your
choice).

I guess this is (italian) cajun roast. I had it once at Mandinas and it knocked my socks off. I found this recipe somewhere on the internet.
I made this and Mrs. Geek talked about it for days. It was very good

Just got back from grocery store with the goods. Pics incoming in 4 to 5 hours...

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Awwwwwww yiss.....

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

I know, right? The only modification I would make is probably trimming away the fat and letting it cook fully submerged for maybe an extra 30 minutes to an hour. Roast likes to dry out crazy fast.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I want to pickle me some pork for red beans this weekend, I see two methods, one just distilled white vinegar and the other has apple cider and water. What's better?

Solution: Buy two jars.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Mouth instantly watered. What's the cook time using the Instant Pot?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Nhilist posted:

30 minutes with the dry beans, onion, bell pepper, jalepeno, garlic, seasoning (tony's, kosher salt, ground pepper) and 7 cups of water.
Then release steam.
Add the andouille and another 15.
Cannot stress how good the beans turn out, I mean perfect consistency.

Did you presoak the beans at all? That's incredibly fast!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

kloa posted:

My cousin always does one, but it turns out so dry :yikes:

Your cousin should brine the turkey first. My dad does an oilless fryer for turkey and it always turns out perfect because of the brine.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Nhilist posted:

No presoak at all!!! Rinse em and dump 'em. Cool is it not?

Our instant pot came in tonight. I’m gonna need recipe for them beans if you don’t mind sharing. We’re looking to do a pound.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Thanks all for the recipes and suggestions! We snagged some more andouille sausage and boudin while we were in Breaux Bridge for the holidays. Can't wait to get home and start cooking!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Huge success! Thanks again!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

empty whippet box posted:

Just made some red beans and rice with chicken, celery, onions, parsely, jalapeños, garlic, Tony's, salt and pepper and a shitload of tobasco. Fuckin love me some simple Cajun food.

I've never had chicken in my red beans before. It's always been pork sausage and andouille sausage. Also you're missing some bell pepper in there for the holy trinity.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

empty whippet box posted:

Actually I left that out, I did have bell pepper in it. Couldn't afford sausage or I'd have had some of that too! We were waiting on payday and I realized I had chicken and 2 pounds of red beans and could make a bigass pot of insanely delicious red beans. So I went with what was in the fridge.

Sounds like a winner to me then!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I use roux from a jar if I'm lazy. I dunno about a microwaved roux.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I'm glad I'm not the only one that does the potato salad in the gumbo. There's something about the creamy cool potato salad with the scalding hot spicy gumbo that's just a match made in heaven.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Trying to force autumn to show up. Seafood gumbo (shrimp, lump crab).

I would ugly eat that gumbo.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I have never seen a wild pig ever in south Louisiana. I've seen more wild alligator, deer, and turtles than anything else though. Are wild pig even a thing in LA?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I grew up an hour south of Lafayette and everything was swamp and cane fields. I don't even know where the rice fields are in LA!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

That Works posted:

:confused:

Pretty much all of the area below the I-10 belt that isn't growing pecans, oranges or sugarcane is growing combo rice / crawfish fields. It's like the #1 export crop of the state...

The big big plantations I know of are over in Calcasieu parish but they're everywhere.

I never saw crawfish fields until my parents moved to Breaux Bridge. I lived in Franklin which has a sugar mill so pretty much everything in a 25 mile radius was sugar cane. I didn't get out much.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Did chicken thighs and andouille sausage gumbo last week. I pretty much ate gumbo for a week straight every night.

I'm totally about to make another pot...

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELPKuKvo44k

This is the only thing I want to know about Guy Fieri.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Jar of roux, frozen mirepoix mix, water, salt, pepper, and whatever meats he wants. Bulletproof.

Substitute jar and frozen for fresh stuff when they are more comfortable.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Mail him a jar of roux. That's easily 90% of the difficulty making a gumbo.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
My girlfriend made an attempt at a king cake. It asked for sour cream and came out a little dry and way too much like bread than king cake. The taste was there though oddly enough. Anyone have a good recipe so I can make my own instead of driving back to LA for cakes?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey goons, I found this dump of recipes. Maybe you'll enjoy them, maybe you already know them all. I dunno, but I'm looking forward to trying a few when next I have to go shopping.

Cooking For The Soon To Be Dead

Holy poo poo, my grandmother has this exact cookbook on her counter. For an ironic twist, she lives in Pierre Part, I call her mawmaw, and her last name is Landry (maiden name Breaux).

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Just gonna watch this on repeat for about 3 to 2 hours.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Make fried boudin balls and float them in your bowl of gumbo.

Or make boudin egg rolls and serve on the side. I recently did this since flour paper is so drat cheap at the asian markets. And find a jar of pepper jelly too.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

-if only someone made frozen trinity.

They do! They usually call it "Seasoning Blend" but I have several bags of it in my freezer. Straight from the frozen vegetables section!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

More lazy instant pot gumbo:

Des herbs or z’herbs products w/e. It’s alright. Just used some ham hocks, but I think sausage might be critical to good gumbo.

Are you just making the roux with the saute function? High pressure? For how long? I love me a good instant pot recipe.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Instant pot gumbo with chicken thighs and smoked deer sausage (thanks grandpa). Made about a cup of roux myself and used frozen “gumbo vegetables” which is just mirapoix and okra. Just waiting for rice to be done to dive into this.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Playing Cyberpunk 2077 and an NPC cooked us up some jambalaya. It's uh... yeah...

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
The quest explicitly asks you to go get the rice from the kitchen (he's cooking outdoors). You come back with a box of rice and pour it in but maybe my graphics settings aren't maxed out because it only looks like maybe 15 grains of rice came out of the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

TheKingslayer posted:

Spent the weekend with Jazz Festing In Place on the radio and made a gator sausage po'boy with remoulade slaw. Nothing fancy but so good.

Holy gently caress this looks gooooooooooooood.