Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Yay Cajun! I've got one of Prudhomme's older cookbooks and it's got the best BBQ shrimp recipe in it. But, it's not BBQ like smoked meats, thick sauce, etc. I don't really know why he calls it BBQ...but whatever, it's seriously delicious. Fresh shrimp cooked in a spicy, garlicy beer broth. When I get really good, fresh shrimp, I'll eat a pound of this with a big chunk of crusty French bread for dinner.

~1 lb large (I usually use 16-20s) shrimp, preferably head on, but it's ok if you can't get them
13 T butter
1.5 t minced garlic
1 t worcestershire
1/2 c shrimp stock
1/4 beer

1 t cayenne
1 t black pepper
1/2 t salt
1/2 t crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 t dried thyme
1/2 t dried rosemary leaves, crushed
1/8 t dried oregano

Pinch off the portion of the head in front of the eyes forward (the spiny parts). The idea is to leave the shrimp fat in the head because it will melt out into the sauce.
Melt 1 stick of the butter over medium high, add garlic, worcestershire and seasonings. Add shrimp, cook for a couple minutes, shaking the pan. Add the stock and beer, and the rest of the butter, shaking constantly to emulsify the butter into the liquids. Cook for a few minutes longer until the shrimp is opaque.

Now, holy poo poo that's a ton of butter. I can't bring myself to use more than a few tablespoons and it's still plenty rich and delicious. I also never have shrimp stock laying around, so I just replace that with more beer. Still freaking amazing, so make this. Make it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Defiance Industries posted:

I hope it's this one.

It has a real soft spot in my heart. Back when I was learning to cook this stuff, it was my first step in reference before I called my dad (who got me started cooking) for advice.

That's the one :) I got mine a couple years ago on Amazon for like $3. It's in really good shape, too.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

holttho posted:

If you whip honey together with butter, you can make any style cornbread and you and your guests may dial in the sweetness as they desire. It is A Very Good Thing.

Add some orange zest too. Amazing.

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm probably going to catch a metric gently caress load of flak for this, but frankly, I've always liked the jiffy cornbread mix, dressed up with a good amount of shredded pepper jack, chopped jalapenos, and grilled corn. Literally just dump the little box of mix into a bowl, with a handful of those ingredients and the other poo poo it calls for, then mix and pour into a loaf pan and bake till a toothpick comes out clean. Slice thick and drizzle a bit of honey over it. I don't really have proportions to give, since we just kinda eyeball it, but it tastes amazing and is one of my guilty pleasures of lazy cooking.

Naw, I use Jiffy for cornbread stuffing, and just to snack on with some jam sometimes. It's like using any kind of boxed baking mix; you can make better, but it's not terrible.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Steve Yun posted:

So if I need a single book on cajun cooking, would Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen cover me?

Definitely. You can get used copies cheap all over the place.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Reeeeally wish I had read this last night while the stock was actually being made. I think I cooked it for like two and a half hours or something like that. My bell peppers were basically mush by the time it was done. :gonk:

So is my gumbo still fixable or did I just waste $40 worth of ingredients?

Well considering it sounds like you used the meat from shrimp and crawfish for your stock instead of just the shells, you definitely wasted $40 in good seafood.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Gonna pour one out tonight for all that seafood you destroyed.

Next time, buy raw shell on shrimp, peel them, put the part you eat back in the fridge, and then just the shells in the stockpot.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Has anyone microwaved their roux? It seems to good to be true. https://thetakeout.com/make-better-gumbo-faster-with-the-miracle-of-microwaved-1822915988

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Phil Moscowitz posted:

No and I never will, making roux is enjoyable and smells great. I saw that article and the only thing sillier than microwave roux is the commenter who says gumbo shouldn’t be made with roux anyway.

lol I saw that it was a top tier troll

But I don't know, it feels sacrilegious somehow, but at the same time I don't see that it would really affect the flavor of the roux. Kind of like toasting your dried whole chiles in the microwave. It's odd, but I've done it and I sure as hell didn't notice any difference.

I also know people do roux in the oven and this seems like the same principle.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Anyone ever used the cajun spice blend from Penzey's? Tried it on some shrimp for the first time last night and I thought it was great. Having not cooked much cajun food, I'm not sure how close it is to a traditional cajun spice mix, but it definitely seemed a lot like the flavors in the Paul Prudhomme bbq shrimp recipe.

Theirs has too much celery seed for me. I like the Spice House's King Creole a bit better. (The Spice House people are family members of the Penzeys and the two businesses split off from each other.) It's a bolder mix. https://www.thespicehouse.com/king-creole-seasoning

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Manuel Calavera posted:

Aren't they kinda lovely Conservative though? I thought I'd heard that, but then again, it could just be that Penzeys is very liberal.

e -
https://twitter.com/thespicehouse/status/800376430093893632?lang=en
this was after Trump was elected

The families don't really get along I don't think, hence the two companies. I think it's been more related to that than actually being super republican but I dunno.

Besides, its spices. I don't really care.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

eke out posted:

haha i must've instantly censored it out since it seems so completely wrong

you shut your mouth, this is revelatory and sounds so right

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Comb Your Beard posted:

Was watching beat Bobby Flay and the chef challenged him on Chicken Gumbo and won, pretty rare for a challenger to win. She put potato salad made with creole mustard right in the bowl. Otherwise mostly traditional recipe.

That is actually a regional variation, I think in Southern LA mostly. So also traditional.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Dik Hz posted:

When I was growing up in Minnesota, there was a dude who would drive up from the gulf every Wednesday and hawk shrimp to local lawyers and doctors at a premium. He'd get $25/lb for jumbos in 90's dollars.

yeah, these still exist but they're mostly companies with a bunch of trucks that go to set destinations. I buy from Fabian, for example. they set up their truck and coolers in the parking lots of convenience stores, mostly. https://www.fabianseafood.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

there's a place here that does vegetarian jambalaya with red beans, smoked pecans and tofu that's really good.