Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

About how much gumbo does the the OP recipe make? I need to know how many ingredients to buy.

Also where do you normally find shrimp stock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

That Works posted:

Id guess around 6. Make cornbread with it, it owns.

6... what, exactly? Cups? Bowls? Servings?

Can I refrigerate/freeze whatever I don't eat right after I make it and eat it later? Does it keep well? Cuz I was hoping I could eat it for lunch for several days.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Also about how much stock is a "Coupla things" in people-units?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So I'm probably gonna need to get more stock, then.

Last question, is there a lower-calorie (or less calorie-dense) alternative to the lard? Or perhaps something I could mix with the lard to use less lard?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

In that case, I'll try mixing about 1 cup lard with 1/2 cup unsalted butter.

Thanks for the tips. :)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just want to eat a bowl or two a day without getting fat. I'm supposed to be on a diet right now.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lol gumbo isn't diet food bruh

Well not with that attitude :colbert:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Okay, fine, gently caress it. I'm eatin' it anyway.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Cornbread is good.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

btw I need a cornbread recipe. :(

Also a sweet cornbread recipe. I ate at this restaurant in Washington DC last year and they served this sweet cornbread that was out of this world.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Okay I have more gumbo questions:

1. What shade is the roux supposed to turn before I start adding stuff? Last night I got something that was around the color of clay mud, then I added the trinity and it turned into a thick, velvety, dark reddish-brown substance which I assume means that I burned it. :gonk:

2. Are a few black flakes okay? The recipe says it's ruined if I see one single black flake, but I'm wondering if some tiny little ones are inevitable.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I thought about doing a Cajun turkey stuffing with green bell peppers added to the standard celery and onions, plus uncooked andouille sausage, oysters and/or shrimp, and some sort of liquor mixed in (maybe Jack Daniel's). But I'm not gonna be able to cook anything this Thanksgiving, and I have no idea how to proportion all the ingredients, so maybe you guys can do something with this idea. Let me know how it goes. :smith:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 26, 2015

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm thinking about taking another crack at the gumbo sometime soon. I used "seafood stock" (:shrug:) instead of chicken stock in my first attempt, and I wasn't too enthused with the results. Not entirely sure why. It came out okay, I just wasn't thrilled with it.

I'll be using chicken stock this time around.

I was wondering if there's any particular reason to use green bell pepper instead of red, or some other color? I like the way red bell peppers smell and taste.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

That Works posted:

I've used either of them as I had available. Green is more "typical" but its gumbo man you can just throw anything in there after getting the essential base done.

In all cases, making your own stock is going to greatly improve the quality of the dish.

I don't know how to make my own stock. And I'm scared it involves me spending extra money on food I'm only going to use for the stock, but not put into the finished meal. :smith:

Otherwise, I'd make gumbo with homemade shrimp stock.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Buy a whole chicken, some onions, carrots, some garlic, some celery, some bell peppers. Butcher the chicken but keep the carcass. Boom, you have what you need to make chicken stock, and you can use the meat in your gumbo.

This is meant to be a cheap but hearty meal.

Making stock is literally covering everything with water and letting it simmer unsupervised for a couple hours, then straining. At its base, that's what it is.

That sounds easy enough. I can do that with frozen bagged peeled shrimp before adding it to gumbo, right? Or does it need to be fresh shrimp? Or do I have to get the shrimp with the shells? Cuz I have 6 lbs of frozen peeled tail-free shrimp and 2 lbs of frozen whole crawfish, but no shrimp with shells on. I can probably do something with the frozen crawfish though.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 15, 2015

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

holttho posted:

The question would ultimately be what level are you trying to achieve and who your audience is. Quality frozen shrimp is exceptional, (ALL decapod seafood is frozen as it arrives to your market, it is impossible to have it any other way unless it is still alive. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying.) and the shells and head contribute a bunch of complex flavors, but are by no means required. If you're putting something together for the Paul Prudhomme Cajun/Creole Authenticity Committee, then you might not score high with something that wasn't fresh. But if you are putting together a good meal for a good time with friends, then you will be amazed at how well good frozen options can be. I live in Chicago and have pretty slim choices on fresh non-lobster shellfish year-round. But a good eye** for frozen stuff and you'll be on your way to greatness.

A lot of people want (for whatever reason) to make folks thing that 'frozen' and 'fresh' are opposites on a scale. Not by a long shot. Maybe in 1941 when it took four hundred hours to freeze a bunch of carrots which were then left in a shipping container for nineteen months would quality suffer, but nowadays with IQF stuff going from literally in-the-ground to being cryogenically rock solid in less than an hour, quality and flavor are preserved to an astounding level.

As for stock making, it is wonderfully forgiving. Just toss in whatever healthy scraps you got from your vegetables, any bones, skin, uglies, or carcass from your meats, a bay leaf and some pepper, and you got yourself a stew, baby. Only rule of thumb for a general use stock is to avoid any vegetables that have the word "green' in them. Green peppers, green peas, green lettuce, anything like that; they will utterly dominate the flavor of the stock. And not the way you want. Onion/carrot/celery butts, mushroom stems, all the parts that 'meh, I'd rather not eat' are wonderful in the stock pot. All those chicken neck bones that you'd never eat, but are flavorful and nutritious and $0.29/lb are PERFECT. Toss 'em all in some cold water and bring up to a simmer for a low, lazy afternoon. Don't add salt, as you may need it reduced at a later time and you'd just end up with a salt lick. You can just add salt after reducing.

**When looking for frozen anything, the biggest thing to look for is that each 'thing' is an individual piece. Not a brick or frozen lump. 'Lumpitude' clearly indicates that the product has been thawed and then re-frozen which will have a definite loss in quality. Next time you are in the grocery store, pick up a bag of frozen baby peas. Notice they are all single individuals. That's because they were frozen as individuals, then packaged together. Shrimp is no different than peas.

Of course, if there is freezer burn or weird discoloration, they are immediately rejected. Something they say about fishmongers is that if they are good, they'll let you smell the product. That is true of a fishmonger, but rarely of a mega-mart meat counter minimum wage guy. Try it if you like, but the above will likely serve you the most and the best.

This is very a informative post, thank you!

How much water should I use if making crawfish stock with 2 lbs of frozen crawfish? Or for any amount of any meat? Would 3-4 quarts be too much?

EDIT: Correction: Make that 3 lbs of frozen crawdads! Whole and unpeeled. (and fully cooked if that matters) :getin:

EDIT 2: ... the "fully cooked" part matters, doesn't it?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 15, 2015

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Cooked is ok but take the tail meat out and just boil the shells if you want to use the meat in the gumbo. I mean you don't have to remove the tails but the point of stock is to extract the flavor from the stuff and put it in the water, so the tails aren't going to be very edible if you leave them in.

I use heads and shells leftover from a crawfish boil every year. There's plenty of stock builder in the heads and tails. Your issue will be peeling while frozen which I've never done so you might decide to just throw it all in there and use something else (e.g. shrimp) in the gumbo itself .

As far as how much water, what I always do is put everything in the pot and cover it with water. As mentioned above, stock is forgiving. 4 quarts is fine, and if you have a lot of liquid you can always just reduce it.

Good point about reducing.

I wasn't really planning on doing anything with the crawfish meats, so I doubt I'm gonna remove the tails. I was gonna just use shrimp in the gumbo, since I really like shrimp. I really hate to waste good crawdads, but the main reason I have these crawfish at all is because I had another bag several months back and tried removing the tails so I could eat them straight out of the bag, but apparently it'd been so long since I last ate crawfish whole that I forgot how to peel them without the entire 'dads shattering in my hands. I guess I need to work on strengthening my grip.

Thanks for all the advice, guys! Sorry to hijack the thread with my stock questions.

Actually, I do have one more question. Does that rule about not using "green" vegetables apply to okra stems? I'd like a little more clarification on that, if possible.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is there any reason I shouldn't cut/prep vegetables two days ahead of time for gumbo or stock? I just ordered a new stock pot on Amazon Prime and I'm waiting until it's delivered before I start making the stock.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Made the stock. Made the gumbo with it. It's gooooood poo poo y'all. :getin:

I ended up having to use red bell peppers instead of green because all my green bell peppers were spoiled. Also I feel like 2 cups of uncooked rice might be a little too much. But apart from that it's great. 8/10 would make again.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 19, 2015

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I thought about doing a Cajun turkey stuffing with green bell peppers added to the standard celery and onions, plus uncooked andouille sausage, oysters and/or shrimp, and some sort of liquor mixed in (maybe Jack Daniel's). But I'm not gonna be able to cook anything this Thanksgiving, and I have no idea how to proportion all the ingredients, so maybe you guys can do something with this idea. Let me know how it goes. :smith:

I'm actually legitimately curious as to whether this would be any good or not. Enough that I might try a batch at some point. My grocery store sells both andouille and boudin sausage; I might try one or both of those with the casings removed and see if it turns out good. Maybe with or without chorizo.

Guys which sausage(s) should I use for my Cajun stuffing recipe? I can do one or two, but if oysters are going in there too then I need to draw the line at that. Otherwise it's just overkill.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 4, 2016

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I am probably going to make Fuckabees's gumbo again sometime in the near future. Right now I'm trying to decide whether to use the two jars of crawfish stock I made and froze four months ago, or make some fresh. How long does crawfish stock keep for?

Also, is there anything wrong with putting scallops and/or calamari in gumbo? Both are lean and high in protein and I'm wondering how they'd taste with shrimp.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I'm pretty sure every Cajun south of I-10 would retch at the idea of scallops and calamari in their gumbo. I think they will give it a different flavor, but I've never tried and can't tell you if it's good or bad. Certainly they're less offensive than putting clams or mussels in there, I would think.

Is it seafood only? What else is in there as far as proteins?

It's just seafood. Shrimp and possibly either crawfish or calamari. I'm also using half the rice and doubling the total quantity of meat, so it'll either be 6 lbs of shrimp or 3 lbs of shrimp and 3 lbs of one of the other meats.

... I... enjoy shrimp.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well it looks like my gumbo won't be featuring calamari after all. Also I couldn't find the bagged seasoned whole crawfish I used last time, so instead I'll be using fresh cooked whole crawfish from the seafood counter.

I'll still use 6 lbs of shrimp, although I'm a little disappointed with the quality of the shrimp I just bought at the grocery store. They should be fine, but they're not the brand I was hoping to find.

I'll try to remember to post pics.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It's posts like this that make me so thankful to live in a place where the "brand" of shrimp I buy is "shrimp that a guy in a boat pulled out of the gulf the other day" /humblebrag

Are you not using scallops anymore? I was wondering if they were going to be bay or sea scallops?

I might still use scallops if I can find some at my grocery store. If I do then they're going to be the little ones.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I ate a really good etoufee yesterday that I think was made with chicken stock. Now I'm wondering if I should try adding some chicken bouillon to my crawfish stock the next time I make gumbo, which will be soon. Like tomorrow.

Should I do it? Should I add chicken bouillon to my crawfish stock?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I will be making a homemade crawfish stock. I'm just wondering whether I should try mixing it with chicken bouillon or not.

I think I'm gonna try it.

My last attempt at gumbo ended in failure. I oversalted it at the beginning of the cook and then I overcooked the shrimp.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Are you using crawfish shells and heads from a boil? If so you have absolutely no need for chicken stock. I would argue you have no need for chicken stock regardless.

I'm using whole uncooked crawfish.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Now that it's approaching Thanksgiving, I'm starting to think in earnest about that Cajun turkey stuffing recipe idea that I had awhile back. I decided to use a mix of andouille and chorizo, and right now I'm trying to decide whether I should use cornbread or French bread. I'm also looking for a good stuffing recipe to use as a base, so anybody with a good stuffing recipe, post it here! :)

I'd kinda like to make this tomorrow for a party some of my friends are having, if possible.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Dirty rice is the best dressing but I don't think that's what you're looking for...though it could probably work with andouille and chorizo.

Yeah I'm looking for a more traditional bread-based stuffing, but my goal is to tailor it so it uses the full trinity instead of just the celery and onion, and add the sausage.

Also I'd like to add a little liquor to it for flavor, because I like cooking with liquor.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well I made the stuffing. I used this recipe, substituting sage sausage for half andouille and half chorizo, and adding bay leaves, a green bell pepper, 3 tsp cayenne, and 1/4 cup Jack Daniels. It's in the oven right now.

It's... okay, but it tastes like it's missing something. Maybe not enough salt? Also I think I should've either skipped the cayenne or used less. Apart from that it's not bad, but I wish I could figure out what seems to be missing.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

That Works posted:

How was your stock?

Store-bought, low-sodium chicken broth. So not too good, but I didn't have a turkey on hand to get real stock from so it was the best I could do.

That Works posted:

Try adding in a little garlic and salted butter maybe? Also if you have any giblets brown those up a little and melt your butter in that, whisk out add minced garlic until fragrant and roll all of that into the stuffing. I like having just a few caraway seeds in mine if the sausage doesn't already have some in it.

I already added more garlic than the recipe called for. Although I like garlic so I guess I could've still added more.

Butter was already in the recipe. It's what I used to brown up the sausage. Again, I didn't have any turkey or giblets on hand, or I would've thrown those in too.

That Works posted:

Edit: maybe a little thyme also?

I'll keep this in mind for next time.

Probably throw in some msg, too.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Quick question: At what point during a gumbo's cook time should I add 4 lbs of shrimp (shut up, I like shrimp okay! :mad:) if I don't want the shrimp to end up overcooked and lovely? Also at what time should I take the gumbo off the heat? Assume I'm using Fuckabees's recipe on the first page in all other aspects because that's what I'm using.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I actually screwed up in that post. I meant to sat 6 lbs of shrimp. :doh:

I'm making the stock right now. I combined 2 lbs each of frozen seasoned cooked crawfish and fresh shell-on shrimp with red bell pepper, a diced yellow onion, and a SHITLOAD of garlic cloves (at least 3 bulbs worth, seriously, I love me some garlic), then added a little over 7 quarts of water. It's sitting on low heat now.

About how long should I let the stock slow-cook for before I take it off the heat? I was thinking about 3 hours or so, but I could go longer.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

holttho posted:

In a stock, it's recommended that vegetable matter to be cooked no longer than about 90 minutes. More than that and you will see the stock get murky in both appearance (which is fixable) as well as flavor (less so). The things basically just start to degrade and you'll end up with a pot of muck; all the fresh and aromatic flavors we want are extracted within an hour provided you diced it all well enough beforehand.

Fish and seafood need similarly short stock times- only heavy beef bones need the all-day dinner to extract their goodness.

Reeeeally wish I had read this last night while the stock was actually being made. I think I cooked it for like two and a half hours or something like that. My bell peppers were basically mush by the time it was done. :gonk:

So is my gumbo still fixable or did I just waste $40 worth of ingredients?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Well considering it sounds like you used the meat from shrimp and crawfish for your stock instead of just the shells, you definitely wasted $40 in good seafood.

No no, I used whole crawfish and whole shrimp, shells of both included.

That Works posted:

I think he just cooked the vegetables that long, not the shrimp... I hope... :ohdear:

I cooked everything for that long. But the shrimp going in the gumbo is different from the shrimp I used to make the stock. So I've still got 6 lbs of frozen shrimp that haven't been ruined yet.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Next time make the stock with shells, you're wasting shrimp and crawfish dude!

I'm not wasting it. I'm giving it to the homeless to eat out of the trash. :)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My roux is about the color of a Hershey bar. Is that dark enough?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well after 7 hours of work, my kitchen is destroyed, I have squishy burn wounds on my hand and arm that are full of puss, and all in all my latest gumbo attempt ended in failure. :(

It seemed to be going good until I added the trinity. I think maybe I added the vegetables too soon after taking the roux off the heat. I put them in right after the roux came off the stove. The whole mixture basically tasted burned after that, and no amount of salt could fix it.

A real shame. I spent 2 hours making that roux, and probably put together one of the best stocks I've ever done. $60 worth of ingredients I'll never get back.

How long should I wait after taking my roux off the heat before adding the vegetables?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 31, 2017

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

For the record, this is what my roux looked like just before I added the veggies. Note that the smoke in the photo makes the roux appear lighter than it actually is, so picture this color but slightly darker.

Is this too dark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

poo poo is burnt.

Also you shouldn't have roux clinging to the pot like that. It's definitely burnt.

The recipe called for a chocolate roux, though. Is that not chocolate-colored? :confused: