Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

If I were you I would stick to milk chocolate, not dark chocolate. While it's true you can bring a roux to a deep brown, and many cookbooks and videos will show it dark as poo poo the margin for error is very thin at that level of browning. And you can make a perfect gumbo with a lighter roux. Also, if you are going to add vegetables before the stock, the roux is going to continue to cook, so you can put the trinity in when it's the color of milk chocolate and end up with a nicely colored roux.

Example:

Add vegetables and 10 minutes later:

Ahhhh, okay. So about the color of hot chocolate.

Thanks, that gives me a better idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Can someone post a list of instructions for making gumbo roux in the oven? I think I'm gonna do that method next time since it's supposed to be safer. I may try another batch of gumbo soon because I'm about to move and I have some seafood in my freezer I need to get rid of.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I have bought ingredients for another gumbo attempt.

When I make the roux in the oven, should the pot be covered or uncovered? My pot lid is glass, so I'm not sure if I can do it covered.

EDIT: Also how much salt should I add if I'm doing Fuckabees's recipe? Last time I made gumbo I over-salted it and it tasted nasty.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Klyith posted:

if you're making it with commercial chicken stock I wouldn't add any extra salt until the end. maybe some salt on the chicken if you're seasoning it in advance.

for a soup type thing like gumbo there's zero downside to doing salt at the end, when you can taste it.

I'm using homemade shrimp and crawfish stock. The crawfish is 3 lbs frozen crawfish with cajun seasoning. Do I need to add salt to that?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well the roux has been in the oven on 300° for 15 minutes and there's already a little black flake, BUT there was still leftover black soot in the pot from the last time I tried to make roux when I started this batch, so I think that's what it is. The flake didn't appear until after I spent a bit stirring it, so maybe I'm just being paranoid? I hope so. :ohdear:

EDIT: 15 more minutes and there's a couple more. I ALWAYS get a few tiny black flakes early on when I try to make roux, but they seem to disappear later on so I'm hoping this is nothing. Please tell me it's nothing.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 21, 2017

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

It's been in there for an hour and I can't tell if there's been any color change. Should I take it out to stir at 20-minute intervals instead of 15?

I'm very worried about this roux.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Your temp is too low. Raise it to 350 or 400 like I said. Or you should just plan on a much longer cook time.

Yeah I just checked the temp with my Thermapen and it's only 264°. I'll raise the temperature to 350° and see what happens.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Took the roux out of the oven when it was just slightly darker than chocolate milk and added the vegetables. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: Tasted it. Gumbo good. Could've even taken the roux a little darker.

I think this one is a success!! :toot:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 21, 2017

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

There used to be a food truck near me in Austin that made boudain balls: deep-fried balls of boudain and crawfish. That food truck is gone now.

Can I get a boudain ball recipe in this thread?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Shape boudin into balls, then roll in bread crumbs and deep fry.

Do you want a boudin recipe?

It would help, yeah.

Perhaps a batter recipe would be helpful too.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Shrimp etouffée.

Light roux.

Add trinity.

Some herbs.

Add shrimp stock.

A little butter to lightly sauté the shrimp.

Add the shrimp.

Done.

This looks loving delicious!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

My new favorite app...though the prices need to drop a bit! poo poo was like $5/lb during Mardi Gras

:stonk:

*frantically pulls out phone*

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

There’s a grocery store in my area that sells uncooked crawfish sausages. I’m thinking about getting some, smoking them, and putting them in some gumbo. They also sell uncooked andouille sausages.

Should I just get the crawfish sausages, or should I get a mix of both?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I think it’s best fried, then tossed in sauce like buffalo wings.

I’ve marinated strips in a citrus marinade and grilled it on skewers too.

That Works posted:

I like it fried too. Usually I've had it chopped up in a fried meatball kinda thing.

https://www.cajuncookingrecipes.com/alligator/alligator3.htm

Ton of recipes out there for it but if you've got fillets I'd probably pound em flat and cook them up more like a beef milanese or something.

All three of these sound delicious.

Also that website has armadillo recipes.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Trying to force autumn to show up. Seafood gumbo (shrimp, lump crab).

This looks good as gently caress and I wish I could make it at home, but my mom hates crab.

I mean, I can still make it, I just have to make a separate batch for her with no crab in it.

What recipe did you use?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I just made it. I don't really use a particular recipe, but here's what I did last night.

2 celery ribs, chopped then run through the food processor until very finely diced (NOT pureed)
1 green bell pepper, same
1 large onion, same
8 cloves garlic, finely diced (I put those though a smaller processor because I'm lazy)
Chopped okra, frozen is fine
5-6 gumbo crabs
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
about 1/2 lb lump blue crab meat
about 1/4 lb tasso
a couple very fat green onions from my garden (about as thick as the diameter of a nickel), white parts mixed with the onions and green tops thinly sliced
2 quarts homemade lobster stock and 1 quart shrimp stock
Seasonings as below

Roux - 1 cup flour in 1 cup oil over high heat, stirring with a whisk constantly for about 15 minutes, then gradually lowering the heat every 5 minutes until it looked like this, about 20-25 minutes total (picture is from immediately after adding the onions)

Add the onions, and cook another 5-10 minutes at medium/low heat, stirring frequently. Add the celery, garlic, and pepper and cook for a while longer. I then added the stock which I had heated up.

Now, a couple roux tips. 1:1 flour to oil ratio will get you a thinner roux that will always be a thick liquid until you add the vegetables. If you go with more flour, you will get a roux that is more solid, kind of like wet sand.

Also, when you get your roux as dark as this it's going to want to break and separate when you add the stock. It looks like tiny little globs of roux floating in the stock. Don't worry--this doesn't mean it's ruined, but it's important to whisk it together gently, one ladleful at a time, so that it can come together.

A caveat, though--if you have burned the roux, then it will separate in a similar fashion, it'll never come together properly, and your gumbo will taste bitter. But if you've brought it to the color of chocolate, and not coffee grounds, you should be okay. If you are at all in doubt, START OVER. Oil and flour are cheap and plentiful. Crabmeat and shrimp are not.

Once the stock is fully incorporated I usually add creole seasoning, a couple bay leaves, some fresh thyme, and salt & pepper to taste, as well as the gumbo crabs.

Gumbo crabs are smaller blue crabs that are really there more to soak and add sweetness as opposed to be eaten. You can buy them frozen at the supermarket. I also had a few soft shelled crabs that have been sitting in my freezer forever so I threw them in too. Over an hour or two all of their flavor comes out into the gumbo and I pull them out, except a few claws for decoration. You can eat the meat, but it's not quite as flavorful as, say, fresh boiled crabs.

Ok so after simmering for like 30-45 minutes I usually add 2/3 of the shrimp or so, along with the tasso chopped up and some Worcestershire sauce and whatever seasonings I need to adjust for flavoring. This gumbo is quite sweet from (a) the gumbo crabs, (b) the shrimp, (c) the lobster stock. Throw in a cup or so of chopped okra. Let it simmer another 30-45 minutes. When I'm about 10 minutes from wanting to serve it I throw in the lump crabmeat and the rest of the shrimp as well as the sliced green tops of the scallions.

Thanks for this. That gumbo crab idea is a good one; I’ve been trying to figure out a way to add crab to my gumbo without blowing a ton of money on legs.

How do you keep the roux from burning when you add the vegetables? Also is there a particular kind of oil you recommend, or will vegetable oil work?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I ate 2 lbs of crab legs at Red Lobster last night and forgot to bring the shells home for stock. :doh:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

How did this go?

Made some crawfish etouffée tonight.

Usually buy pounds like this frozen, or fresh during crawfish season. It keeps very well, but needs to be thoroughly washed. If you don't wash them, they're about this interesting:

Then when you wash them...

...they get a little more fun:

Seasoning blend. Cayenne, black, white pepper, basil, thyme, salt.

Here's the stuff.

Let's make a drink. I would like to drink a French 75.

Make the light roux. These three pictures span about 6 minutes.

Add the trinity/garlic

Lobster stock is warm, and added to the pot.

In the meantime, melt some butter to sautee the crawfish with green onions.

Combine the crawfish and etouffee.

Add more butter to the etouffee because this is a Paul Prudhomme recipe.

And the final product!

Full stomach...

I hope you petted that pup. :3:

This looks extremely god and I would like the recipe.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Are there any particularly good places to find whole shrimps with heads included for making stock, or do I need the heads at all? I don’t think any grocery stores in my area sell shrimp with the heads still on.

EDIT: Yes I am going to actually peel them this time, because I know you assholes are going to bring that up.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I want to make crawfish boudin and I have a couple of questions.

1. What do I replace the pork liver with in the recipe? Do I sub in more crawfish, or some other type of liver, or what?

2. The recipe I’m using also calls for pork fat. What do I replace that with?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 1, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Nur_Neerg posted:

Casamento's: ten minutes into our meal Guy Fieri popped in to film a segment for Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. Girlfriend had to sign a waiver because she was in the shot the whole time.
Cochon: Ran into Guy Fieri here as well.

You lucky fucker.

Please tell me he was cool in person.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

whatever, I like that show, gently caress y’all

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The_Doctor posted:

This got posted on Reddit in the BR sub, and dang that gumbo looks good at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5XXU47q9js

I need to buy Prudhomme’s books. Most of them are around or under $10 on Kindle.

I also need to make that chicken and sausage gumbo.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Pretty sure Louisiana Kitchen is the only one you’d need.

That’s the standard, yeah, but Prudhomme Family Cookbook and Fork in the Road look pretty good too. I’ll probably pick those up as well.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

And what do I do with crawfish? It’s crawfish season and the whole suck the heads thing has always grossed me out and I don’t love real spicy stuff anyway. Are crawfish tails pretty much interchangeable with shrimp?

Crawfish boudin is hella tasty and I’d make some right now if my mother didn’t hate crawfish.

(I’ll probably make some anyway, I just won’t give her any)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

That Works posted:

You can also make crawfish monica which is really good but very rich.

Fuuuuuuck I’m on a diet and I regret clicking that.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I have a couple Paul Prudhomme books (Louisiana Kitchen and Fork in the Road) and I’m looking to get at least a couple more.

Post more Cajun/Creole cookbooks.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Y'all have any favorite cajun/creole cookbooks? I have this https://www.amazon.com/Leon-Galatoires-Cookbook-Galatoire/dp/0882899996/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=galatoirs&qid=1554343236&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spell and like it very much. I never would have thought to put Worcestershire sauce and red wine vinegar in my trout meuniere, but now I do and its great. Most recipes start with several tablespoons/cups of clarified butter, and as my dad says, you could dip your belt in clarified butter and it would be delicious. I'd love any other suggestions to broaden my horizons, especially with more Cajun stuff.

The_Doctor posted:

River Road Recipes is my go-to, although some of them are a little dated now, and others seem to depend on you feeding about 50 people per sitting.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Folse's Encyclopedia is the best all around book for breadth and depth. Plenty of recipes to work with and it's a beautiful book. Not sure if its in print anymore. He has a few other books that are also very nice and have some duplication of recipes, but this one is the bible.

https://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Cajun-Creole-Cuisine/dp/0970445717

None of these come in Kindle. :(

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

That Works posted:

I've got the Picayune cookbook (an amalgam of Picayne recipes put together in 1901 and reprinted in paperback).

So I just downloaded this and this book is a trip. The 1901 language is funny as poo poo, and the recipes actually look pretty tasty. I’d like to try a bunch of this stuff.

I am a little curious about the crawfish soup on page 23 that appears to want me to eat the shells too? Did people in 1901 eat crawfish shells? :wtc:

EDIT: Holy gently caress, there’s a “mock turtle soup” recipe that wants me to buy a whole calf’s head and remove the brains myself.

EDIT 2: :laffo: There’s an entire section on how to cook “stingarees” which I’m pretty sure means stingrays.

I wonder what stingrays taste like.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 23, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

That Works posted:

Yeah it's hilarious / amazing but most of the recipes still stand up well.

Oh I’m sure they do. Like I said, I’m interested in trying a lot of them.

Those dessert chapters :stare:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Looking through the Picayune cookbook again and man, I REALLY wish there was a searchable easy-to-read Kindle version of this thing. I think Amazon used to have an updated version, but it’s out of print and doesn’t have a Kindle edition.

So many awesome looking recipes, but it’s so drat dense and tough to read, at least for me :(

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

Looking through the Picayune cookbook again and man, I REALLY wish there was a searchable easy-to-read Kindle version of this thing. I think Amazon used to have an updated version, but it’s out of print and doesn’t have a Kindle edition.

So many awesome looking recipes, but it’s so drat dense and tough to read, at least for me :(

I’m making the orange pie on page 273 right now. Will post a trip report when it’s cooked and chilled and ready to eat.

I used a Keebler graham cracker pie crust instead of the crust recipe in the book. Next time I think I’m gonna use the crust recipe with some chocolate added, plus maybe some chocolate in the meringue if I can get that to work.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 28, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m making the orange pie on page 273 right now. Will post a trip report when it’s cooked and chilled and ready to eat.

poo poo I almost forgot about this.

It’s delicious. Whenever I do it again I’m gonna tweak the custard to make it a little more sherbert-y. I might also replace the meringue with some sort of whipped cream topping since I’m not big on meringue.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yeah I would scarf 1/4 of that standing up at the stove after dinner

Since taking that photo my dad has eaten most of it. I’ve only had one slice because I’m watching my calories and keep forgetting to make room for it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Amazon says this is the version I have. The pages are all old photocopies of the physical version, there’s no hyperlinks, and it’s not searchable.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

EDIT: Wrong thread

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 6, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I need to make gumbo again. Since it’s just me and my dad eating it now, I’m finally free to add crab and crawfish to it. :mrgw:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m making seafood gumbo for dinner tomorrow. The stock is cooking on the stove right now and the smell is making me tingly. Shrimp and crab shells. gently caress yeah.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m making seafood gumbo for dinner tomorrow. The stock is cooking on the stove right now and the smell is making me tingly. Shrimp and crab shells. gently caress yeah.

Trip Report: the gumbo is hella good. Will try to remember to post pics later today.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Shooting Blanks posted:

Just a reminder that shrimp stock makes your kitchen smell awesome

I really wish I could buy shrimp stock at the store. Granted homemade tastes better, but man it would make things easier and cheaper to just buy some pre-made if I don’t feel like going through the hassle of making it myself every loving time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey goons, I found this dump of recipes. Maybe you'll enjoy them, maybe you already know them all. I dunno, but I'm looking forward to trying a few when next I have to go shopping.

Cooking For The Soon To Be Dead

wanna eat a bunch of this

:hmmyes: