Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Oooooohh I am about to make the poo poo out of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Make fried boudin balls and float them in your bowl of gumbo.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Post good boudin recipes right now itt

Especially crawfish boudin recipes cuz I’ve been wanting to make that poo poo for a while

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

IT'S CRAWDAD SEASON YALL :getin:

News has been reporting that crawfish are gonna be plentiful and relatively cheap this year compared to years past. I'm thinking about picking up a whole bunch throughout the season either to make stuff with or eat by themselves as part of a high-protein meal.

Since I don't normally buy crawfish live, I'm wondering about how many lbs of meat do you normally get per lb of crawfish?

Also what's considered a good price for live crawfish in the gulf states? I went to a place earlier today that told me they'd just sold 20 lbs to someone for like $3.50 or $3.99 a lb; I didn't get a price on any smaller amounts but I'm guessing something like 3 to 5 lbs might only be around $2 or $3 higher than that.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Y'all I KNOW there is a better way to pull the meat out of boiled crawfish tails than going down the entire length of the tail and slowly prying every single piece of shell off the length of the meat with my fingernails.

I just ate 3 lbs of crawfish for lunch and had to do this on literally every single one of them, because the meat just wouldn't slide out any other way I tried and the waitress I talked to didn't know how to do it. It's been so long since I last ate whole crawfish that I forgot how to peel them. Took me over an hour to eat it all. Still delicious as gently caress though.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I need to make gumbo. I just found a place in town that'll sell me head-on shrimp.

Speaking of which, remind me again if I can make stock using already-boiled crawfish shells? I got like 2 lbs of shells from when I ate whole crawfish at a restaurant the other day cuz I wasn't sure if I could still use 'em for something or not.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

They've been sitting in my freezer for several weeks, but I think they spent a grand total of about 3 hours out of the boiler before they went in there.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

MAN’S SAUCE COMING SOON

I just noticed "Pecker Power" is spelled with condoms

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I should not read this thread (or this subforum) when I am hungry at 3 AM.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I have acquired 5 lbs of shell-on shrimp (without heads sadly but whatever), 1 1/2 lbs of crawfish tail meat, and all other necessary seafood gumbo ingredients.

I will make my roux with butter instead of lard this time around, and possibly add a tablespoon or two of tomato paste to see if it zests up the flavor.

Normally I use Fuckabees's ratio of flour to fat (2:1.5) to make gumbo roux, although I'm thinking about trying equal amounts of both this time around. Is this a bad idea?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm going by volume, so 2 cups of each.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Butter is gonna burn bro

Don't people use butter to make gumbo roux all the time though?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Also how much stock are you using? I hope it’s like 10 quarts with that much roux.

Fuckabees posted:

You will need:
1.5 cups Lard/butter/oil (any but come the gently caress on...choose lard)
2 cups White Flower
[...]
Coupla things of chicken stock. I like those boxes cause you can squeeze them and that is vaguely erotic to me. Quit the judging. Making your own is good but off topic. If you like fish tastes ( I don't) use fish stock. Like 3 of the boxes.

:confused:

"thing"/"box" = one quart, I thought. That would only be 3 quarts of stock per 1.5 cups fat and 2 cups flour, which is what I've always used.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'll have plenty of extra stock so I can add more if I need to. And I'm using like double the meat and veggies the recipe calls for (more flavor and nutrition that way) so I'll probably add at least a quart or two of stock.

Good thing I got my dad this 9-quart Le Creuset enameled dutch oven for Chrismas :getin:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Can I split the diff and do 1/2 vegetable oil and 1/2 butter?

All I want to do is use a fat that tastes better than loving lard, and I'm not 100% sure if veggie oil is it. Maybe like, canola or peanut oil, but vegetable oil?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

drat I was hoping to try using bacon grease one of these days. Sucks to hear it doesn't work.

Klyith posted:

Any refined cooking oil is fine, pick whichever you like best. The main thing is you want to use a refined oil, not the ultra-fancy cold pressed whatever. It's the process of refining that gives most of the heat resistance.

Like, you can use a light cooking olive oil to fry or make a roux. But not the extra virgin.

I love how I read this post RIGHT as my dad tried to tell me to "just use the [extra virgin] olive oil, it's the same thing" and I tried to inform him that no it is not the same thing at all.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It works, it’s just less consistent. No reason for you not to try new stuff, give it a shot and see the difference. But I hate using homemade stock on experiments or inconsistent things. Since I stopped using bacon grease I’ve had 100% good results.

I might try adding a small amount of it to some oil then. Like make it mostly oil for browning with just a hint of bacon for flavor.

Not this time since I don't have any bacon grease right now, but later.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Also I’ve strongly recommended this everywhere, but add the roux to rapidly boiling stock (not the other way around). Again, 100% good results using this method.

I'll have to give this a try, thanks!

EDIT: Wait do I add the veggies to the roux or the stock, or do I add them after pouring one into the other?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 31, 2022

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I called an audible, did 3 parts canola oil to 1 part unsalted butter I JUST WANTED TO TRY IT ONCE

10 minutes in and this poo poo already smells better than my standard roux

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Where’s the gumbo I.M. Gei

Yeah so ABOUT THAT...

The roux. 2 cups of flour, 1 1/2 cups of canola oil, and 1/2 cup of butter.

I followed your suggestion to boil the stock in a separate pot and add the roux to it, setting aside a cupful of stock beforehand which I used to deglaze the roux pot before cooking up the trinity (along with a shitload of garlic).

I also followed your suggestion to cook the trinity in 3 stages. This is stage one.

Stage two added (with more garlic).

And stage three (plus more garlic).

Then added the stock.

I let this cook down by about 40% and then added the rice (cooked separately) and okra.

Let that cook for a little bit, and then I took the gumbo off the heat and added the seafood: 4 lbs of shrimp and 1 1/2 lbs of crawfish meat.

The finished product.

It was unbelievable! Cooking the trinity in 3 stages was a major pro tip! SO MUCH depth of flavor! Easily the best pot of gumbo I ever made! This is a 9-qt Le Creuset pot and it took us less than a week to eat the whole thing! I can't wait to make it again! SO GOOD!!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Grocery store near me had crawfish meat and shell-on shrimp on sale for half off. I got a bunch of both and I'm gonna turn them into gumbo in a couple of days.

I gotta start making gumbo out of something other than seafood.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 6, 2022

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I got the week off from work and heard the Wu-Tang Clan is playing at New Orleans Jazz Fest this year.

It's only a few hours drive for me. Should I go y/n?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

They already played dude

well poop

Who else is playing still?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Discussion Quorum posted:

Sunday's lineup looks sick. Treme Brass Band, Trombone Shorty, The Radiators, Tom Jones, Delfeayo Maralis, and HERBIE loving HANCOCK AHHHHH

Just stop dithering and go, I'm so jealous now. Half the fun of Jazzfest is wandering around and hearing new poo poo.

You forgot Ne-Yo. :stare:

yeah I'mma have to go to that show

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I did it.

I found a place in town that sells head-on shrimp.

It's a tiny Asian market and it's drat near within walking distance from my house.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I need to make shrimp and crawfish gumbo again. My grocery store finally started selling head-on shrimp.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

I need to make shrimp and crawfish gumbo again. My grocery store finally started selling head-on shrimp.

I went to buy head-on shrimp for gumbo today and the store was out. :negative:

Even worse, a guy at the seafood counter told me he heard a rumor that some new state legislation was making it impossible for them to get more.

Do any of y'all know anything about this? I live in Texas and I haven't heard anything about a law making shrimp with heads illegal. Maybe it's some anti-immigrant poo poo cuz a lot of the shrimp comes from Ecuador?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm in Texas and I haven't heard of this.

I checked google and didn't see anything about a new shrimp law so it may be bullshit. It's possible the store was just out and didn't have shelf space to put out more because of Mardi Gras and crawfish season. Then again google sucks poo poo now, so :shrug:

In any case I ended up getting some shrimp at the Asian market. It cost about $15 more but I'm pretty sure it's the same shrimp.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well I just made my first ever shrimp stock with shrimp heads, following Phil Moscowitz's megapost. It smells a little pepper-y but maybe that'll balance out later when I make the actual gumbo.

Now if only I could find some fresh okra. I know frozen okra works fine but it feels like a waste after all the effort I went to to make this stock.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Shrimp stock.

Gumbo roux

I didn't use the oven trick to make the roux this time. I made it all on the stovetop like a big boy!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The finished gumbo.

Pardon the messy rear end pot.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It seems rather thick…what did you put in it?

It is, although my gumbo is usually like that.

The roux is 1.5 cups each of flour and canola oil, and I used about 3 or 4 quarts of stock, 2 cups of rice uncooked (probably closer to 6 cups after cooking; I cooked the rice separately), 24 oz of frozen okra, and something like 5 lbs of shrimp cuz I like my gumbo meaty and full of protein! :pumped:

It's closer to porridge than soup at this point but I ain't complaining. It's still fuckin delicious.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 29, 2024

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

and it's good af

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Did you stir the rice into the gumbo pot before you took the picture?

Yes I did.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I wanted it to have enough protein and carbs per serving to make for a good* pre- AND post-workout meal.

* when I say "good" I don't necessarily mean "healthy"

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

fr0id posted:

You should normally make the rice separately then serve the gumbo over a scoop of rice. This is like if you made a curry and cooked mixed all the rice into the pot. Or like mashed potatoes and gravy if you stirred all the gravy and potatoes together at once.

Edit: wait, you didn’t cook the rice in the gumbo, did you?

No, I cooked the rice separately and then added it.

I didn't realize there was a rule that you're not supposed to add rice to the gumbo during cooking. I've literally always added rice to my gumbo while cooking it cuz I just figured that's how it's done. All the recipes I've ever seen say to either cook the rice *in* the gumbo or make it separately during cooking, and I always assumed the latter meant you're supposed to add the finished rice to the gumbo while it cooks.

I've eaten plenty of gumbos where the rice was separate until serving time, but I always thought that was a personal preference thing where some people do it and others don't. I've also eaten a lot of gumbos where the two are already mixed. Isn't the whole point of gumbo that there are no right or wrong ways to do it as long as it tastes good?