Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
MOD EDIT: This thread has been so bad that the following will apply from now on:

Anyone who mentions

American stadiums
College football
Baseball

Will be banned, no exceptions. I encourage all snitches to report any posts which seem like they may be about those subjects, though I may ban you too for being a snitch.

From Die Zeit and ESPN:

quote:

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has admitted politics played a part in the choice to award Qatar the 2022 World Cup.

The decision has caused much controversy, with matches having to be played in temperatures of up to 50 degrees if the tournament takes place in the summer.

As a result, Blatter has confirmed he will request that the competition be held in the winter, and has the support of UEFA president Michel Platini.

When asked if Qatar had been chosen by world football's governing body based on considerations other than sport, Blatter said: "Yes, there was definitely direct political influence.

"European leaders recommended to its voting members to opt for Qatar, because of major economic interests in the country."

Blatter has previously conceded that awarding Qatar the World Cup was something of a mistake.

And with rumours of corruption still circulating around the decision, the FIFA chief said: "We have just set up a new, independent ethics commission to re-examine the awarding of the World Cup to Qatar."

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/239353.html

Just redraw the entire thing goddammit, what's the point in continuing with this. Are they really looking forward to record-number of heat strokes in a single match in front of a live world audience.

edit: apparently Sarkozy had his mitts on this whole stinker too http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/nicolas-sarkozy-colluded-to-get-qatar-2022-world-cup-8471758.html

Update for the month of May 2015: required reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racketeer_Influenced_and_Corrupt_Organizations_Act

Qatar apparently ran an anti-America WC campaign for a steal too

vyelkin posted:

The Sunday Times has a new story alleging that Qatar's 2022 bid sabotaged other bids for the World Cup (separate from, but in addition to, the rampant bribery of FIFA officials). They claim a whistleblower from the bid team leaked a bunch of internal documents to them.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44994041

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Remember how FIFA regularly threatens to ban countries from international competition for 'political interference'?

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/news/newsid=1528544/index.html

:lol:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ka0 posted:

Just redraw the entire thing goddammit, what's the point in continuing with this. Are they really looking forward to record-number of heat strokes in a single match in front of a live world audience.

No didn't you hear, because they don't feel like making the magical "keep players from dying in the summertime" technology their bid was hedged on, FIFA have agreed to hold the tournament in the winter, thus disrupting the entire season. Which they of course would've known ahead of time because nobody is dumb enough to believe the saudis can miraculously cool down entire outdoor stadiums enough to keep everyone cool.

Also loving lol at FIFA setting up a new ethics commission. Reminder that the head of the previous independent ethics commission quit in disgust after she couldn't make any headway in her job.

Sack the lot of them and start over.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 18, 2013

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

It's like FIFA and IOC are competing against each other about who's the most corrupt and has the largest amount of old men in charge.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
A winter world cup might actually be watchable, the summer ones are dogshit because all of the players are exhausted and unfit.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

vaginal culture posted:

A winter world cup might actually be watchable, the summer ones are dogshit because all of the players are exhausted and unfit.

Yeah i wouldnt mind the leagues moving to the summer, not because FIFA want to be let off the hook for being corrupt though.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

A winter world cup in snowy norway perhaps? hmmm yes

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
"So what is political influence?"

"Simply put, it's when a host nation's delegation directly hands us fat stacks of cash and we give them a World Cup."

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Sepp Blatter must be an Arsenal fan. What a lovely person.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Qatar is unlivable in the summer, it empties out June to August. Even the sea is too hot to swim in. Air-conditioned stadiums or not, there will be no entertainment outside of getting blitzed in the hotel lobby or cramming into the lovely malls here.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
It's a shame Sepp Blatter had to take all of that Qatar campaign money just to satisfy the eurocrats. I hope the poor thing can sleep well, on his bed made of money, with a money blanket, and money pillows.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

corpuscollossus posted:

Qatar is unlivable in the summer, it empties out June to August. Even the sea is too hot to swim in. Air-conditioned stadiums or not, there will be no entertainment outside of getting blitzed in the hotel lobby or cramming into the lovely malls here.

Is that even an option? I was under the impression you couldn't really drink in Qatar except for the special sections they're setting up for the WC.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Boycott this World Cup.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
The drinking zones sound like trouble to me, a bunch of rival fans collected in one area waiting in long queues for drinks in the heat. What could go wrong?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Boycott this World Cup.

Scotland is way ahead of you, they've been boycotting for decades

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Reek posted:

The drinking zones sound like trouble to me, a bunch of rival fans collected in one area waiting in long queues for drinks in the heat. What could go wrong?

I'm more concerned about the drunk rear end in a top hat that brings his drink outside of the zone. That will be a nice little international dog and pony show. I wonder if they will set up special courts like South Africa.

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/nicolas-sarkozy-colluded-to-get-qatar-2022-world-cup-8471758.html

this article pairs pretty well with the op

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

CubanMissile posted:

Is that even an option? I was under the impression you couldn't really drink in Qatar except for the special sections they're setting up for the WC.

Five star hotels all serve alcohol and as far as I know the lesser rated ones will for the world cup too.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Its funny that there were rumours earlier this week and last week Qatar were going to lose the World Cup due to something other than it being obviously loving stupid and then this story broke

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

In case anyone missed this, UEFA voted to move the world cup to the winter for some reason

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/uefa-backs-proposals-2022-world-2285109?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

gently caress.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
That's a shame. I also enjoyed the increasingly ludicrous suggestions as to how they were going to cool the stadiums, a favorite being the man made cloud

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
9 years between now and then for them to just scrap the whole thing which I'm sure will happen as sane minds and the untouchables prevail.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

tbp posted:

That's a shame. I also enjoyed the increasingly ludicrous suggestions as to how they were going to cool the stadiums, a favorite being the man made cloud
The best thing is that the Qatar ignored systems already in place that are feasible for a climate like that, while at the same time allowing for the use of grass.

The Arizona Cardinals built an NFL stadium that has the playing surface on guide rails so they can slide it outside during the week so the grass can grow in the sun, then slide it back in right before game day so it can be prepped for play, and that way they can also have a roof on the stadium so the fans aren't treated to Sunday afternoon games in temperatures of 40-50C.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
With all their limitless money couldn't they just build subterranean stadiums? gently caress, hosting it in Qatar is stupid enough, lets make it the mole world cup.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Eau de MacGowan posted:

With all their limitless money couldn't they just build subterranean stadiums? gently caress, hosting it in Qatar is stupid enough, lets make it the mole world cup.
Everyone plays in the dark with night-vision goggles? I'd be down.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

We used to break a few glow sticks and pour them on a ball and play at night time, it was fun and you could really kick people

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008
What about the veils? The dirty old men from FIFA won't be able to see the merchandise before the purchase. It's like the cat in a bag.
Someone should remind them of this.
Also Blatter will be dead before 2022, so he doesn't give a poo poo.

FIFA will probably come to the conclusion at some point that the whole thing was a travesty, and they will make some new regulatory organ that most definitely will stop corruption forever in FIFA. Although this has sadly been discovered to late, and they certainly can't arrange for a new host now.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

JunkDeluxe posted:

Although this has sadly been discovered to late, and they certainly can't arrange for a new host now.
Sure they could. They've done it before.

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Sure they could. They've done it before.

Yeah of course, but that will be their excuse in 2017/18 when they make their announcement.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I think they should host it in the USA, we have really big stadiums. I don't think anyone could disagree we'd host another outstanding world cup like the last ever good one, in 1994. Maybe this time we could give England automatic qualification to ensure they show up as well.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Watching the jabulani ball soar into the 20th row to never-ending B-flat > USA 94

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

euroboy posted:

A winter world cup in snowy norway perhaps? hmmm yes

This should be the only thing on the new government's to-do list.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Didn't know where to put this, but it fits here as well:

http://dohanews.co/post/58898402174/official-qatar-sees-record-number-of-nepalese-deaths

32 construction workers died in July alone in Qatar

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Adulterous Hitler posted:

Didn't know where to put this, but it fits here as well:

http://dohanews.co/post/58898402174/official-qatar-sees-record-number-of-nepalese-deaths

32 construction workers died in July alone in Qatar
Actually, according to the article those deaths are just Nepalese expatriates who died on the job. God only knows how many people actually died there last month doing construction work.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I wonder if the Nepalese adaptation to altitude makes them more susceptible to dying in the heat. I think they have higher Hematocrits, i am not a doctor. I hope people boycott international soccer this is too much.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
At least the Euros will never be held in qatar :unsmith:

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Ponce de Le0n posted:

Now Kazakhstan, on the other hand,

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Ponce de Le0n posted:

Wow.

Naive much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

vaginal culture posted:

I wonder if the Nepalese adaptation to altitude makes them more susceptible to dying in the heat. I think they have higher Hematocrits, i am not a doctor. I hope people boycott international soccer this is too much.

They have lower hematocrit levels actually but make up for it by absorbing oxygen more efficiently through thinner, faster flowing blood. Thick blood tends to mess up pregnancy and so only works as a temporary adjustment.