Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Ratios and Tendency posted:

They have lower hematocrit levels actually but make up for it by absorbing oxygen more efficiently through thinner, faster flowing blood. Thick blood tends to mess up pregnancy and so only works as a temporary adjustment.

Interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Many sherpas died to bring us this World Cup.

This article doesn't mention stadiums in particular, but I have to imagine Nepalese migrant workers are involved in WC-related construction

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

TheBigAristotle posted:

Many sherpas died to bring us this World Cup.

This article doesn't mention stadiums in particular, but I have to imagine Nepalese migrant workers are involved in WC-related construction

The thread is all of 2 pages

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

@pkedit posted:

Proposed FIFA calendar from FIFA bid chief @MayneNicholls would have WC Qatar 2022 final same day as Super Bowl pic.twitter.com/fpVGx51AJK

The amazing ideas just keep on coming

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Reek posted:

The amazing ideas just keep on coming

This is incredibly small fry in the list of things that are hosed up and wrong about Qatar having the world cup, it's not like it'll be played at the same time.

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

Ninpo posted:

This is incredibly small fry in the list of things that are hosed up and wrong about Qatar having the world cup, it's not like it'll be played at the same time.
Hmm, World Cup in Qatar. Seems like the terrorists have won.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm not sure the annual TRP superbowl thread would have the same feel if it was the same day as the world cup.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Isn't the superbowl the only sporting event that pulls more viewers than the WC? I can't see this happening, the sponsors of both would throw a shitfit.

Football is now so rotten I am hoping the loving sponsors will save it.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

The super bowl is on while I'm sleeping anyway so I don't see why it should matter

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Spangly A posted:

Isn't the superbowl the only sporting event that pulls more viewers than the WC? I can't see this happening, the sponsors of both would throw a shitfit.

Football is now so rotten I am hoping the loving sponsors will save it.

The World Cup pulls more and has done for a while.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Total Meatlove posted:

The World Cup pulls more and has done for a while.

Apparently my mistake was to take the claimed figures as real, and not independent estimates.

Superbowl claims to win but it exaggerates by ten times the actual number. Nice moves.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Spangly A posted:

Apparently my mistake was to take the claimed figures as real, and not independent estimates.

Superbowl claims to win but it exaggerates by ten times the actual number. Nice moves.

Yeah IIRC the Champions League final (depending on the teams of course) pulls the same amount of viewers as the Super Bowl. Both around ~100-120 million unique viewers, the World Cup final is a behemoth at 620 million viewers. It's a massive event.

Hegay fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 20, 2013

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Still wouldn't InBev throw a huge loving fit about them happening the same day?

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

oldman posted:

Still wouldn't InBev throw a huge loving fit about them happening the same day?

We're talking about 2022, not next year

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
The Super Bowl is the most watched thing in the US and the World Cup is one of the most watched thing in the world its not really close. Also its not the point its just common sense not to hold two massive sporting events on the same day even if they aren't at all related. Just another dumb little thing in a long line of dumb things.

Ninpo posted:

No poo poo.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Remember last year when the American media were making a big deal and getting hype as hell about THE GAME BEFORE THE GAME because there was some top-4 league clash on the morning of the Super Bowl. I remember this, I think.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
edit: thought it was a manchester derby but it was chelsea/united

Reek fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Sep 20, 2013

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I'm pretty sure it was a 0-0 match or a boring 1-1 lol

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

The World cup final and the super bowl on a single day?

truly a Ford Barclays Pepsi Al Jazeera Super Sunday

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

tbp posted:

I'm pretty sure it was a 0-0 match or a boring 1-1 lol

It was the 3-3 where Chelsea was up 3-0, United got two pens, Torres missed a sitter to finish it, and it ended 3-3. Actually entertaining game all around.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Reek posted:

It was the 3-3 where Chelsea was up 3-0, United got two pens, Torres missed a sitter to finish it, and it ended 3-3. Actually entertaining game all around.

Hm perhaps I'm thinking o a different game then, if that's the fact of the matter

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

I'm pretty sure the Super Bowl and the World cup clashing would'nt be too much of a problem, you could fit all the playing time of the super bowl in at half-time.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

That's true. What about playing the world cup final as half time entertainment at the Superbowl?

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
Having them on at the same day is stupid and advertisers will raise hell so this won't happen.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Ponce de Le0n posted:

At least the Euros will never be held in qatar :unsmith:

Azerbaijan is going to get them some day, they have a lot of gas.

They already hosted the Eurovision.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Kurtofan posted:

Azerbaijan is going to get them some day, they have a lot of gas.

They already hosted the Eurovision.

I'm running I'm scared tonight is what protesters in Azerbaijan will say when they rebuild the stadiums.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 14 days!)

Has FIFA ever moved the world cup to a different part of the year?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Peanut President posted:

Has FIFA ever moved the world cup to a different part of the year?
Nope. That's why this whole thing is such a farce.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Crazy Ted posted:

Australia are going to make a legal challenge if its moved as qatar were awarded the contract by giving false information (The ability to host the world cup in the summer) so they want all the money they spent on their bid given back.

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

It was a farce before they even floated the idea of moving it to winter

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

serious gaylord posted:

Australia are going to make a legal challenge if its moved as qatar were awarded the contract by giving false information (The ability to host the world cup in the summer) so they want all the money they spent on their bid given back.

Good for them.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

serious gaylord posted:

I hope the US does too, as I think that's the year we were vying for as well.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

serious gaylord posted:

I hope there are massive legal challenges and FIFA is crushed in court

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

T. Finninho posted:

Same. It's clear FIFA will never change without some outside agent forcing them to. I'd love to see every other country that bid for the Qatar World Cup steamroller FIFA with a lawsuit.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Suing FIFA seems like a good way to never get awarded a world cup

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Can we start a change.org petition to oust Blatter?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Blue Screen Error posted:

Seeing who FIFA is giving the World Cup to, those countries might as well go ahead and sue because they're never getting the tournament anyway.

Gin Soaked Ape posted:

It was a farce before they even floated the idea of moving it to winter
I'm well aware of that. It's just that the whole idea of moving the dates of the World Cup well after the bids have been decided just to accommodate the host country makes it even worse.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Blue Screen Error posted:

They've got decades until they're considered anyway, and you know it's going to all the oil rich dictatorships for a while lol

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

T. Finninho posted:

I just want one federation to full on state that they poured cash into the fifa execs pockets. England very nearly did when the bids were first given to Russia and Qatar and Im waiting for it to all come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Platini is such a twat:

quote:

To some it will be a statement of the obvious, to others an admission that should ring alarm bells. Responding to the assertion of the Fifa president, Sepp Blatter, that the Qatar 2022 World Cup was a "political" choice by European voters, the Uefa president, Michel Platini, has confirmed that "political and economic influences" were a factor.

The controversial selection of Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup in December 2010 has resulted in a bitter row over whether the tournament should be moved to winter to avoid the searing summer heat, a move expected to be agreed in principle by Fifa next month.

Blatter, who voted for the US to host the 2022 tournament but has since become an advocate of moving it to winter, said in an interview this week that there was "definitely direct political influence" on European executive committee members to vote for Qatar.

"European leaders recommended to its voting members to opt for Qatar, because of major economic interests in the country," he told the German weekly Die Zeit.

Following a meeting of all 54 Uefa member associations in Dubrovnik, at which they confirmed in principle their support for a winter World Cup in 2022, Platini confirmed Blatter's comments. "With the extraordinary influence Mr Blatter has," Platini said, "he has only all of a sudden realised there are political and economic influences when we decide who will host an Olympic Games and so forth? It's better late than never I guess."

Platini sardonically added: "It's new, apparently. It was said that Europeans voted for Qatar but Qatar got 14 votes. We're only eight. If you subtract eight from 14 you get six left over."

Platini has admitted voting for Qatar and lobbying for the move to winter, but has insisted that a much scrutinised meeting with the then French president Nicolas Sarkozy, the now Emir of Qatar and the Qatar prime minister did not result in pressure being put on him. "I knew Sarkozy wanted the people from Qatar to buy PSG," Platini told the Guardian in May. "I understood that Sarkozy supported the candidature of Qatar. But he never asked me, or to vote for Russia [for the 2018 World Cup]. He knows my personality. I always vote for what is good for football. Not for myself, not for France."

I voted for a World Cup in Qatar for bribe but I totally didn't and now I'm going to mock the guy who made sure the World Cup was put in Qatar for bribe reasons.