Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I would love to see the big market nations (UK, USA, Spain, France, Germany, etc) refuse to take part in qualifying for 2022. Enjoy your World Cup featuring the likes of Kazakhstan and Belize :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Out of curiosity, if Sepp Blatter was removed from the situation tomorrow, like if he was thrown in jail or the subject of a gangland assassination (both seem equally likely), who would be most likely to replace him?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

MisterBadIdea posted:

Out of curiosity, if Sepp Blatter was removed from the situation tomorrow, like if he was thrown in jail or the subject of a gangland assassination (both seem equally likely), who would be most likely to replace him?

Jepp Fatter, some other rich corrupt piece of poo poo.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

MisterBadIdea posted:

It's hard to say due to the fact that anyone who makes it clear they're going for power is made to disappear very quickly. But I think it's supposed to be Platini?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Spangly A posted:

It's hard to say due to the fact that anyone who makes it clear they're going for power is made to disappear very quickly. But I think it's supposed to be Platini?

BREAKING NEWS: Platini made president of FIFA, demands only PSG players be allowed to participate in 2022 World Cup

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 14 days!)

tbp posted:

They've got decades until they're considered anyway, and you know it's going to all the oil rich dictatorships for a while lol

Oh so America will get one? Phew.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

kri kri posted:

The thread is all of 2 pages

drat. Oh well.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Peanut President posted:

Oh so America will get one? Phew.

This doesnt make sense

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

MisterBadIdea posted:

this guy

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Nice straw man.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

There are only around 200,000 Qatari nationals right? Give them all tickets and a month's stay at a 5-star hotel wherever they actually can host the event in 2022. Job done for a fraction of the cost of 1 new air conditioned seating section.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

The Mail says new evidence has come to light that might result in the WC being taken away from Qatar.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-2427853/Qatar-World-Cup-2022-taken-away-political-voting-influence-claim.html

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
I forgot is the Mail a reliable source of news?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

Non transfer related sport isn't too terrible, much like being in a car crash you survive could have been worse.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

Well this is pretty much just quoting other sources, so they're not Mailing it up like usual.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010
Qatar will not lose the 2022 world cup.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Why not? It's not like the people involved have to give their bribes back or anything, and this way they won't have to spend money moving the club season around to fit a winter World Cup.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Konstantin posted:

Why not? It's not like the people involved have to give their bribes back or anything, and this way they won't have to spend money moving the club season around to fit a winter World Cup.

If the WC gets taken away from Qatar, similar lovely resource-rich countries will be less inclined to make similar attempts in the future, which would cut into future earnings of dedicated bribe accepters. Second, I suspect a lot of the money promised comes in the form of "development projects," which means that Qatar can still pull a large chunk of its money out. Finally, Qatar has more than enough money to compensate whatever losses leagues will incur as a result of a winter WC. Also, taking the World Cup from a Muslim country and giving it to the literal great satan (there would be a revote, but the USA would be the expected winner) would lead to negative reactions. It's not impossible, but I'd say there's a 1% chance, if that.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

dilbertschalter posted:

If the WC gets taken away from Qatar, similar lovely resource-rich countries will be less inclined to make similar attempts in the future, which would cut into future earnings of dedicated bribe accepters. Second, I suspect a lot of the money promised comes in the form of "development projects," which means that Qatar can still pull a large chunk of its money out. Finally, Qatar has more than enough money to compensate whatever losses leagues will incur as a result of a winter WC. Also, taking the World Cup from a Muslim country and giving it to the literal great satan (there would be a revote, but the USA would be the expected winner) would lead to negative reactions. It's not impossible, but I'd say there's a 1% chance, if that.

Well this is all speculation. We will see. I personally think Qatar should stop doing bad things

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

dilbertschalter posted:

I've just run the numbers and its at least 4% by my calculations, any chance you could have used a wrong formula or something?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

No worries, it will be a dry heat.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/25/revealed-qatars-world-cup-slaves

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2013/sep/25/qatar-nepalese-workers-poverty-camps

quote:

On average, three or four bodies arrive home every day.

Yikes

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Yeah but if you look in the malls they have vending machines that sell actual gold bars!!!! How can that be a failed nation state?!?!

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

seems legit and safe

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
It's going to be incredible when they decide to rebid because of the whole winter thing, and everyone votes for Qatar so that it can be "totally legit" now.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

How do you think they and the UAE built all their skyscrapers? Been going on for a long time.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage
If anything's good gonna come out of this world cup fiasco, it's gonna be raised awareness for this issue by media.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Puseklepp posted:

If anything's good gonna come out of this world cup fiasco, it's gonna be raised awareness for this issue by media.

And that will amount to what?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

CubanMissile posted:

A lot of stuff in the Guardian and maybe an EDL demo for our boys from Nepal?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Yeah :(

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The real problem, as shown by the reasons for the corrupt voting for Qatar, is that the people with the power to make Qatar stop killing its slaves through dangerous work are heavily financially benefitted by allowing Qatar to keep killing its slaves.

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
Qatar are spending £140bn in developing infrastructure over the next decade. You'll be surprised how willing world leaders are to turn down the care when the accused is shaking billions out of a golden tit above them.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Puseklepp posted:

top draw banter this

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Has there been any talk about how qualifying would work if this shitfest gets moved? Qualifying would finish like a month before the tournament begins if it starts in the winter. Perhaps you could combine Euro and WC qualifying into the same competition to fit it all in :downs:

Weaponized Cum posted:

Can we start a change.org petition to oust Blatter?

You'd be better off making a Kickstarter to raise enough funds to out-bribe Qatar

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

CubanMissile posted:

Probably not much, but raised awareness would be the first step to anything either way and is always a good thing imo.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

This is so loving tragic, the image that springs to mind is that creepy Qatari guy and Blatter molesting the World Cup trophy

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
It would be nice if some of the teams stepped up and refused to use any infrastructure/hotel/stadium that was built by this labour.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Teddles posted:

It would be nice if some of the teams stepped up and refused to use any infrastructure/hotel/stadium that was built by this labour.
In other words: they'll boycott Qatar.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
*2 people cancel their AJS subscription in disgust*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Answers Me posted:

You'd be better off making a Kickstarter to raise enough funds to out-bribe Qatar

I reckon if you sell it as a combined anti-Qatar and new movie in the Firefly universe kickstarter, you'll get the first two thirds within a week.