Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
Found this page which has a rather large and seemingly up to date collection of resources for Meteor:
Yet Another Useless Homepage - Best Learning Resources for Meteor.js

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
Would you mind throwing the benchmark in pastebin and just linking to it instead? That's going to be hell on people on mobile devices to scroll through. :)

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
I attended a talk tonight on a framework called Durandal. It was given by the framework author himself. Towards the end of the presentation, he revealed that he's been hired onto the Angular team as an external consultant and is working to incorporate a lot of the ideas from his framework into Angular 2.0. He wouldn't give any sort of timeframe for a release, though.

A post announcing his hiring and his hopes for the partnership.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
I've only used JSHint. Did some digging around and found some stuff comparing it to ESLint.

The biggest thing that stands out to me is it sounds like syntax errors will mask the presence of other issues until they're corrected. I have JSHint running constantly via a plugin in SublimeText3, so I'd have to see it in action to decide whether that would bother me or not. I'll give this a shot in the next few days and see how it feels.

http://www.sitepoint.com/comparison-javascript-linting-tools/

JS Linting Tool Comparison posted:

JSHint

Pros
-Most settings can be configured
-Supports a configuration file, making it easier to use in larger projects
-Has support for many libraries out of the box, like jQuery, QUnit, NodeJS, Mocha, etc.
-Basic ES6 support

Cons
-Difficult to know which rule is causing an error
-Has two types of option: enforcing and relaxing (which can be used to make JSHint stricter, or to suppress its warnings). This can make configuration slightly confusing
-No custom rule support

ESLint

Pros
-Flexible: any rule can be toggled, and many rules have extra settings that can be tweaked
-Very extensible and has many plugins available
-Easy to understand output
-Includes many rules not available in other linters, making ESLint more useful for detecting problems
-Best ES6 support, and also the only tool to support JSX
-Supports custom reporters

Cons
-Some configuration required
-Slow, but not a hindrance

Also the author of ESLint talking about it (Note that this post is 2 years old)

Introduction from ESLint Author posted:

How ESLint differs from JSHint

Despite similar goals, ESLint and JSHint have some very specific differences. First and foremost, JSHint uses a progressive parser, finding errors along the way. ESLint uses Esprima, so the parsing is done first and then the rules are applied. That means JSHint will print out warnings up to and including a syntax error where ESLint will show only the syntax error. This makes JSHint much better for use in editors.

ESLint is much better suited for use in build systems and as a general command line utility. It works great for pre-commit hooks.

ESLint is a two-pass utility. The first pass is done by Esprima to parse the JavaScript and the second pass is a traversal of the AST to apply certain rules. JSHint is a single-pass utility, meaning that it will generally be faster.

ESLint is strictly a Node.js utility. JSHint runs on most JavaScript runtimes, including Rhino.

jkyuusai fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Heskie posted:

I know this must get asked loads, but is there a definitive book/guide/series to learning pure JavaScript in 2015? Not Angular/React/Flux/whatever, although I am interested in these too.

I've been a Web Developer for 6+ years now and think its about time I actually learnt how to write better JavaScript since its not going away any time soon and I've avoided it for long enough.

React does look very nice though, I'll be trying it out on my next project.

http://eloquentjavascript.net/ is a good start, IMO.