Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
Do it in every framework you find interesting and then compare results. You'll learn a lot and be able to come back to this thread and tell people exactly why x framework was best for the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

wwb posted:

Our new front-end guy is looking to use CodeKit which is great and all but does it do anything you can't just about as easily do with grunt?

http://yeoman.io/ is what I see most people use now. It combines grunt and bower.

I would say it depends on how you manage your projects and if he will be working with others. Grunt is great because once it's setup everyone can use the same configuration files and off you go without spending $30 a seat. However, it can take a new guy a few hours to get it setup the way he wants.

CodeKit is fun for front end developers because it's a visual representation of your projects. Unlike Grunt the GUI lists all of your active projects, what files are associated with them, and does exactly what your Front End guy wants. Plus you don't have to use the terminal, which is scary.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

wwb posted:

Thanks for the info. How does codekit store it's "gruntfile" equivalent -- the main concern I've got is that we can't source control / recreate the environment when someone's mac dies. That and the whole part of the team not on macs.

They use a json format, but as you pointed out there is no Windows or Linux option.

Version Control + Grunt would be my suggestion. Once you're all working off the same repository and the config files are set-up anyone can hop in and get started quickly.