Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

duck monster posted:

I still can't decide if meteor is some sort of future alien technology or potentially the most bonkers confirmation that the web design world has no memory for hard learned lessons of the past.

Some of it just scares me. Querying the database from the client side? Sounds like a recipe for tears to me!

The client just has a local copy of the database (which you can only send specific parts of) so that when they update something it can update in realtime and not care about when the server gets around to updating it. They still need to call a method on the server which can figure out permissions and stuff, and if the client's copy and the server's copy differ the client will revert to the server's copy. So in essence someone could gently caress with the DB on their client but as soon as they try and connect to the server again it'll revert back to whatever the "official" version of the DB is.

quick edit: sorry if this isn't clear I just really love meteor, I'm currently working on a writing app with it (source is here please don't kill me I haven't really taken the time to make it clean and nice and fully commented)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

Winter is Cuming posted:

Holy poo poo. This is loving what meteor does? Would you mind if I PMed you? I'd like to know your thoughts on something.

Yeah hit me up, I will talk about meteor all day err day.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

Aniki posted:

Both Meteor and Ember seem very interesting. I'm very interested in the database integration offered by Meteor, since it is starting to feel clunky to use PHP or another language to handle DB connections and queries. Yeah, you can use AJAX and echo the data as JSON, but I'm noticing that the more jQuery that I use, the more the PHP layer just feels like it is in the way.

When I was learning jQuery, PHP Academy/the New Boston had some very helpful videos that walked me through learning the language at a very fundamental level. Is there anything similar, even if it's behind a pay wall, for Ember or Meteor? I know that Ember's guides feel like they skip a bunch of steps just so they can quickly have you "write" a cool application and I've only just started looking into Meteor, though their videos almost completely glossed over the code just so they could show off the capabilities of Meteor.

I'm interested in this as well, but just for ember since I've already got a pretty firm grasp of Meteor (I've done several apps over the last year with it). I learned Meteor by tinkering and looking up specific examples of what I needed, and reading the excellently clear documentation, but I don't really want to repeat that process with Ember and would prefer something more akin to like, a course.

As to your point, I know the realtime aspect of Meteor is really being flaunted, but I think it's greatest advantage is that it sets up the db's and everything for you, on a per project basis. It's so nice to just be able to start writing mongo when I make a new project and not have to worry about the drivers or connections or anything.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

I really love Meteor, so I set up a quick Vagrant provisioning file for anyone on windows / doesn't want to mess with getting it set up with Meteorite etc: http://adnissen.github.io/vagrant-meteor

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

Is there any way in ember to call .save() or .update(), but only affect the local cache? I've got the code

code:
client.addListener('names', function(channel, nicks){
        var chan = store.all('channel', {name: channel});
        chan.set('names', nicks);
        store.update('channel', chan);
    });
Which seems to update it temporarily (I can call .get within that function and the update is reflected), but elsewhere it doesn't work. Am I missing something else?

e: for reference, the reason I'm using store.all instead of store.find is because I'm writing a frontend app with no backend, so everything needs to be done in the cache.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

TildeATH posted:

Super babby node question: I have an app that points to one api address for the test environment and another for the prod environment. How does one change the app.js to reflect whether it's deployed to test or prod?

An environment variable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

I just want to chime in on the frontend interviewing talk, especially with javascript. Here's my goto question (I'm a team lead where my team exclusively does js pretty much):

"You have a page with a button on it. When the page loads, make an api request to example.com/api/whatever?. When you have both the result of the api request and the button has been pressed (these can happen in any order), navigate to google.com."

I like this one because it really lets me know if they've worked in javascript before. If they have, I'm going to hear the word 'callback' at least once, something about ajax, and probably window.location.href. It also lets them tell me about setting a variable to keep track of the states of both these things which is some pretty simple logic, as well as being relatively real-world. I dunno it's done a good job of filtering out the bad people so far.

ambushsabre fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 8, 2015