Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Thanks for this thread, abraham linksys. I wrote my first SPA last week w/ angular and as I learned a bit about angular, less/sass, bootstrap, etc. I was thinking that there had to be a toolset for integrating everything into a build and that maybe it would even have unit tests for my javascript. Then I found your link to yeoman and it was exactly what I wanted. I even appreciated the hundred or so style errors grunt spit out at me since I don't know anything about standard js style.

I managed to get my app up and running within the yeoman workflow tonight. Tomorrow I'll start writing some unit tests and adjust my gh-pages branch to work off a subtree based on the dist folder, as per https://github.com/yeoman/yeoman/wiki/Deployment.

Oh, and about angular. I am not much of a web dev but I've played w/ jQuery and a backend that served json before and I have to say that angular is an absolute joy to work with compared to the stuff I was doing with jQuery. In fact, angular and html/css is nicer than any gui frameworks I've worked with in java or python.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
HTML directives are the extra tags/attributes that angular provides. Stuff like ng-model and ng-change are directives. You can extend angular by writing your own directives. E.g. angular-bootstrap has directives that provide a ton of controls such as the accordion, accessible with the <accordion> tag.

The directive documentation has an example of writing your own directive partway down the page in the section titled "Writing directives (short version)". The directive written in the example is "my-current-time".

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

A MIRACLE posted:

Thanks for the writeups guys. I guess there was a disconnect where I didn't understand that it was basically "making your own tags"

...and/or attributes. Plus, all of the angular tags and attributes that you are already using are directives.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
From what I understood from the mongo course you pretty much just don't ever do joins in mongo. You put all your data in a document (json object) and if you have sub-data it goes in a sub document. The idea is to optimize your document design so that you can pull out one document and have everything you need for the thing you most often do with that document. E.g. A blog post w/ author and tags and content all in the same document as opposed to having different tables linking those items and querying for the full blog post. If you need to do something like search by tag you totally can, mongo lets you create indexes at any level of the document. The only real limit on documents is that they are 15mb max. If your documents will exceed 15mb you'll have to create two collections and join between them yourself. To really feel the benefits of mongo's scalability and sharding you'll want to keep all of your data in one big document.

Anyway, not sure why you're looking at mongo but I hope this helps you realize what it's intended to do. If you have a big database with lots and lots of interlinked queries then you will probably want to stay relational. If you want scalability and can pretty easily chunk stuff out into a few collections of documents that fit with the queries you need maybe give mongo a shot.