Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
Our client is having us make a web app look and feel just like an old desktop app of theirs, and knockout has let us actually pull that off without it being too much of a hassle at all.

I'll add to what cryolite said - it doesn't really help you structure your data. It's best if you use flat view models so you don't have to mess with $parents[] which can be frustrating - if you're in the 'binding context' of an object and want to access something outside of it, you have to be pretty explicit.

I found this out the hard way when I thought I'd organize all the stuff I'd need for a modal popup into its own little object inside of the parent page's view model. The easiest way to handle it all was to just have one big flat view model to get serialized back up in the end.

wwb posted:

We've used knockout on a few projects. The main thing I don't like is lack of graceful degradation -- I learned old-school and built up from a basic HTML form. But I get that the world is rapidly moving past that. But overall it is a very solid product with some very good pedigree and a whole boatload of real-world usage so if the model works for you roll with it.

I come from desktop apps and backend-type stuff, and knockout viewmodels added to an ASP.NET MVC app is my first "full stack" experience. I've never even touched css or html before this job. I didn't expect to pick it up so quickly, but then again I'm not coming from the old school idiom of POSTing up data from your forms, so there's no old conventions to break.

It's honestly pretty nice, but the only thing that makes me scratch my head is that apparently the JSON is, uh, plain text. It's compressed in transit, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU