Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
So I hope this is the right thread to ask this but I'm currently employed at a small Java developer and one of our products is a GWT-based web application.

Multiple developers have contributed to this app over the years, so the codebase is a bit of a mess and we're looking at maybe doing a clean rewrite of the front-end in a modern web framework like angular.
On the other hand the most we've done with Javascript is a bit of JQuery, so there would probably a long adjustment period.

It's also not quite clear what the advantages of GWT vs Angular or React are, most articles I've found mention skipping the long compilation but that's not enough of a benefit to justify the huge amount of work needed to migrate.
Also we're uncertain on how well javascript scales to large codebases; in our current setup the code is organized by namespaces and maven artefacts, is there something similar in the javascript world?

My question then is: do any of you have experience with this scenario?
What is your advice, would such a migration (which costs time and will probably introduce new bugs) be worth it?

Right now I'm leaning towards trying out angular or whatever in a small project once we have the opportunity but try to improve the existing codebase instead of replacing it.
But maybe I'm missing a killer feature, so I'd appreciate any advice you can offer us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Skandranon posted:

Angular and React both help somewhat with the scalability of the code-base, but I would look at TypeScript as an even bigger contributor to that goal. If you are starting from scratch, no reason not to add TypeScript to the mix. The killer feature is a) better user experience and b) better long term maintainability as you get away from piles and piles of JQuery floating around. The larger your web app, the more it will benefit from such a re-write, but not knowing the actual condition of the codebase, is hard to really comment on if it is worth it or not. Do some sample applications (that ideally are similar in function, if not scope, of the one you intend to replace), and then you should be able to decide if it is worthwhile or not.

We're currently using Java+GWT, not JQuery, so the question is really whether Angular+Typescript is better than GWT.
It would probably drastically reduce the size of the generated code since we no longer need to deliver GWT+SmartGWT+Our code, so maybe that's a good feature.
I agree however that trying it out in a small project is the best way forward.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Not sure if this thread is the right one or if I should post this in web design thread.
Anyway, my question, I'm currently working as a relatively new tech lead for an internal project with 3 additional frontend developers.
We use Angular, Material and NgRx (the enterprise hattrick) and are currently facing problems because the previous developers decided to heavily customize Material to fit the product owner's designs instead of using the Material Design system.
This makes new development and updates painful and our new designer also is rather unhappy, so I'm researching what our options are.

Is customizing Angular Material always a bad idea?
At my previous job we had a UI team do the same but they were a lot better at this than us.
Also they probably didn't try to reach into the components via CSS and Typescript fuckery.

We have the option of using an internal design system with very well done HTML and CSS but missing components and no ready-made Angular wrappers, so that's not an easy solution either.
We might however be able to get good internal support.