Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012

Knyteguy posted:

Also has anyone tried developing with either with a Microsoft stack like MVC and SQL Server?

I'm using Angular and ASP.NET Web API + SQL Server for a project right now and I like it a whole bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012

wretched_gavek posted:

<div><input name="name1" ng-model="testdata.0.name" ><span>{{testdata.0.name}} </span><br></div>
<div><input name="name2" ng-model="testdata.1.name" ><span>{{testdata.1.name}} </span><br></div>
<div><input name="name3" ng-model="testdata.2.name" ><span>{{testdata.2.name}} </span><br></div>
<div><input name="name4" ng-model="testdata.3.name" ><span>{{testdata.3.name}} </span><br></div>

What other people said is way important but I don't think those bindings are going to link to testdata in your controller since the .json file looks like it will return an array. ng-model="testdata.0.name" should be ng-model="testdata[0].name", etc.

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2013.

I was amazed and delighted when TypeScript errors automatically popped up in the normal Build Errors section, telling me my build failed.

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

What's the point at which you should start using a framework? Our big ol' dynamic HTML table/Excel spreadsheet replacement/inline form editing Frankenstein has an issue with hiding/resetting forms via a cancel button and after fiddling around with jQuery spaghetti and completely disorganized, inline source code, I'm frustrated enough to want to convert the whole thing to a React component instead of Rails form helpers and wash my hands of the whole thing. Front-end poo poo has been a recurring issue for us and absolutely none of it makes sense. :gonk: The lack of a framework is making things just totally stupid.

I maintain several pages like this at work. How large and complex is your page currently? If it isn't terrible and if your team already has a preferred framework being used elsewhere in the application, it could be a great idea to convert it. The pages I mentioned have no hope of conversion: they are enormous, very complex, have no tests, and maintain such a tremendous list of undocumented specific functionality that even if I wanted to rewrite the whole thing, I wouldn't even be able to tell if it did everything it was supposed to and would be bombarded constantly with critical hotfix requests as a result of the heavy client use they see. Don't let it become like the pages I inherited.

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012
Another Real World example where the default setup isn't necessarily the best is js file concatenation. If you serve a lot of repeat users to your site and also tend to modify a small set of your js files, separate bundles can be very helpful where you distinguish which js files are less likely to change (if you can make such a determination) and which you might make changes to frequently, so that a single change in your js doesn't cause a user to pull down all of your js via single concatenated file every time.

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012
I'm new to React and looking for some input on implementing a component. We need to make a sort of multi-selector component whose selections will filter data on the rest of the pages, and it will appear on almost every page visibly outside of the pages themselves. The data within the component will be the same on each page (but let's assume it might change depending on the page in the future).

My thoughts on it are:

- Place it outside of the page routes in the main App component since it will appear so frequently, but what about the pages it doesn't appear on? I would have to pass along a method for toggling it's visibility I imagine.
- How would I get the needed data to the page routes? Pass the selected data and the toggle function as props to each route, or make a context for it?
- Would it make more sense to just put it within each page route that would be using it? It needs to be visually placed in the menu section that is defined in App, but maybe there is a way to place the component outside of the page itself.

I'm unsure of whether any of these options is specifically better than another and was hoping someone could give me their thoughts, or help clarify mine.

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012
Thanks for your thoughts! I wasn't aware of Portals but this looks promising.

VVV Thanks I'll look more into Redux as well before we make a decision.

Opulent Ceremony fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 14, 2021

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012
Can anyone recommend a good book (or otherwise) to learn about React? This is meant for a team of developers who have been using React (only functional components and hooks) with Typescript for a little less than a year: something intermediate to advanced to improve our understanding, which is decent enough to get work done but occasionally is still snagged by gotchas, plus we don't have a good handle on reasoning about performance when comparing ways of doing something, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012

prom candy posted:

Do people write books anymore? I'm not sure if you'll be able to find the info you need neatly organized in one place. If you have questions though :justpost:, there's a bunch of React devs in this thread.

Work wants us to try our hand at some sort of communal in-depth learning activity (1st suggestion was read a book together and discuss the chapters) as an experiment and React seemed like the best subject since it is the most new of our tools to us. If someone has a series of videos or a collection of blog posts I'm down for that too. Fair enough if no one can recommend anything in that vein; in that case I'll probably just compare the table of contents of a few of the books that pop up when you search 'react books 2022' and pick one just so we've got something to try.