Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have not done such things, but they surely can't be harder than making GUI apps with C++/Java and QT/JavaFX...

So I installed angular on my server, and created a project. The tsconfig.json was lacking in some aspects, so I added in a few more configuration variables. Will I hate myself for this?

code:
  "compilerOptions": {
    // strictness
    "allowUnreachableCode": false,
    "allowUnusedLabels": false,
    "alwaysStrict": true,
    "exactOptionalPropertyTypes": true,
    "noFallthroughCasesInSwitch": true,
    "noImplicitAny": true,
    "noImplicitOverride": true,
    "noImplicitReturns": true,
    "noImplicitThis": true,
    "noPropertyAccessFromIndexSignature": true,
    "noUncheckedIndexedAccess": true,
    "noUnusedLocals": true,
    "noUnusedParameters": true, 
    "strict": true,
    "strictBindCallApply": true,
    "strictFunctionTypes": true,
    "strictNullChecks": true,
    "strictPropertyInitialization": true,
    "useUnknownInCatchVariables": true,
// etc...
I wanted to try out some Trypescript. I don't want to re-invent the wheel, so I thought Angular might offer some features I'd have to re-code otherwise from scratch. Pure Node.js will be enough of an server for now, I'll just make it return some dummy data in proto phase. Express add-on chiefly seems to support legacy HTTP/1.1 from TYOOL 1997 so that's a big no, no nonono.

Anyways, I'm hoping I can use typescript for the front- and backend, because Javascript is.. not... optimal. My brains start to hurt after trying to do something with it after a while. I want to make a personal web app for my own use, which displays weather information in a format I like.

We've made a few desktop apps which pull data over API, I'd reuse a weather api I've used earlier, so fetching and parsing data should not be a big deal.

How good/bad an idea Angular&node.js SPA with strictest typescript is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

We are doing a project for university's database course. We were given the spec of a billing system web app, and an option to use either PHP or node.js. Database must be postgres.

So that mainly leaves the frontend questions open. Since none of use are very eager to do frontend stuff in our team, someone suggested using HTMX. Basically that adds a bunch of features on top of html you can use to update the content of your webpage: https://htmx.org

I think that leaves us to how to make the page look a bit more modern than what CERN had in 1995, without writing css too manually. Maybe tailwind CSS? https://tailwindcss.com With tailwind we could do also the styling in HTML.

So my question is, does that make sense? Postgres with node.js and express? HTMX+Tailwind CSS in frontend? The course chiefly concentrates on database design and implementation, the app is just there for us to prove that we can implement something which works and meets the specification.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Does that mean we would then use postgres with node.js, next.js?

I am not sure if next.js replaces express completely or partially in a case like this, and do we need a separate thing like tailwind to ease the styling of frontend still?