Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Largo Usagi
Jan 9, 2013

Cryolite posted:

I've heard of Durandal but it seems to be a for-profit venture by the people developing it which makes me a little uncomfortable. If they close up shop I think I'd be left with a dead framework especially since it seems to have little uptake so far. Angular's taken off enough that even if Google stopped official support I bet it would survive. Another group at my company actually looked into using Durandal but abandoned it in favor of Angular.

The number of jobs referencing Angular vs. Durandal on indeed.com is also a factor...

I work for a large company that is currently in the process of rewriting the presentation layer of a few apps and we selected Angular. I work in BI and we handle the display of HUGE data sets and displaying them in a web browser. At first I was skeptical about how well Angular would be able to handle the dirty checking and still be performant but was pleasantly surprised that rebuilding a UI with the same features it bench marked faster than our old jQuery based UI.
Our general structure is a 3 tier approach, DB -> Midware Web Service (SOAP) -> Presentation (REST w/ Angular).

Since we decided to take the deep dive into Angular after thoroughly looking at knockout, backbone and a few other front end frameworks when we are hiring new engineers knowledge in Angular is a huge plus on the resume.

Also, on a personal note, after taking the time to learn Angular it is a go to framework for me, before using it I hated web applications, now that I have been working with it every day for the last 8 months I can say that it is a powerful framework that allows you to create front ends that are robust performant and easy to maintain. Only draw back is getting some jQuery plugins to integrate well without breaking the Angular paradigm, if any one here needs help with Angular feel free to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU