Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
So I'm a Rails dev and been given the opportunity to pick up AngularJS for a new project. Its the front end to talk to an API a team we're collaborating with is building. Nothing super crazy (yet), user logs in, reads their messages and whatnot. So, stuff I could easily do in a traditional rails environment, but this would be my first big front-end/api-talking-to app.

I've bookmarked egghead, learnangularjs.net, and that 60 minute Angular fundamentals video. Any other good ebook/books, tutorials, etc, I should be aware of? I put together a simple angular hello world using a bare rails app to take advantage of the asset pipeline and hit the ground running, is that an acceptable strategy going forward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Dangerllama posted:

^^ For the next two hours, Manning has all their JS books at 50% off, including AngularJS in Action.

I'm also curious if anyone has read Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja and would recommend it for varying levels of JavaScript ability.

Thanks, snatched that up for my kindle.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

fuf posted:

If you're already loading the whole of Foundation on every page then I don't think a few of your own css rules are going to make much difference.

You could also look into the frameworks mentioned in the OP of this thread that let you load content without refreshing the page - that way you only need to load your css once.

A good way to trim down your css is to check foundation.scss and comment out any components that you know for sure aren't being used. I have a single "main.scss" which imports just the Foundation components I need and then I add my own rules.

Not to mention the browser will cache that huge singular CSS file after the first load anyway

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

The Dave posted:

I usually need push pull when I want to rearrange a row that is text block / image to flow to image / text block on extra small.

Edit: though in code it's reversed because of mobile first and all that jazz.

I think the most common use is navigation on the right for desktop, but at the top for mobile

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Tell us how you really feel :)

I feel the same, coming from something like C#, oh my......

Even coming from Rails it's pretty brutal. I'm glad I don't have to work with it too much, just one lil guy that pulls data from an API that one of our client's Oracle team is building.

Though, I am considering a play project in Ember to see if that is more sensible to me. A buddy said it's more Rails-ish in philosophy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Ahz posted:

Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how to implement a 'week picker' via a calendar. Essentially I want to have a user open the calendar widget, but it highlights the week (set Sun-Sat) for them instead of the day. I'm fine with output of something like the Sunday of that week picked or whatever. I'm more concerned with usability and visibility for the user.

Well, here's the first google result for 'week picker'
http://stackoverflow.com/a/6743049