Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

prom candy posted:

Has anyone used airtable for anything? Thinking about trying it as a DB for a little side project

I hadn't even heard of it, but it reminds me a little bit of Notion. I don't think and you would use one instead of the other as they're different things. Notion is like Evernote or Onenote except it has views like some of the stuff I see on the airtable home page.

edit: Actually the more I look at how people are using airtable it looks like a lot of people are just using it like you'd use Notion.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Most designers are bad just like most programmers are bad.

The ones (in both fields) that aren't bad are just less bad.

Design is as much empirical and objective as is programming and programming is as much a subjective art as is design.

There's an impedance mismatch between pure programmers and pure designers...which is why programmers who can design and designers who can program are valuable.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Dominoes posted:

What's stopping the designers from learning to code? I'm not convinced the penguins-on-the-iceberg thing's real. Coding's not some alien thing that only coders can do. Just do it. Don't be a stranger. Castes are lame.

Many designers have learned to code and many coders have learned to design. Generally, that's not who someone would be complaining about in this thread.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Cheen posted:

If you're spinning up a new project, what requirements would you have to elect to use case grid. Can you mix flex and grid easily?

(from https://caniuse.com/#feat=css-grid)

That number has to be high enough to satisfy the people in charge of such things.

If the person who is in charge of such things is me, the number is high enough.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Doom Mathematic posted:

How much of AirBnB's style guide needs to be read and thought about, and how much of it do you just immediately understand once you start using their ESLint config?

23% / 77%

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Over many years I swapped to a new IDE or text editor every 3-8 months. I'd become comfortable with everything about the IDE and then there'd be something new and shiny to try out.

Then, several years ago I started using Jetbrains IDEs (webstorm/pycharm/Idea. They're basically all the same) and haven't switched again even though I still continue to try and supplant them with something new.

I can't really say if that's because their IDEs are just perfect for me, or if I've just gotten older and more set in my ways. I can just say that I'm really happy with them.

(slight hiccup in that little story...I added VS Code to my repertoire awhile back because it's nice for editing little single file scripts and whatnot)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

gbut posted:

Sublime Text here with that Vim syndrome. I just love configuring that broken syntax highlighting every few months. Oh, buy also paying for software.

Honestly, it's all about the speed, and Jetbrains stuff feels like molasses.

Yeah, I work on a very beefy machine specifically so I can't tell the difference between Jetbrains and Notepad in the speed department. I also always keep my IDE running (yay 32GB RAM) so I don't have to deal with the startup time.

However, when I talk about speed, I'm mainly talking about everything except the typing experience. Nowadays, Jetbrains has the lowest typing latency of almost any GUI editor.

more info

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vincent Valentine posted:

Any time I run docker and jetbrains simultaneously everything is fine and great until I hit that save button and jetbrains starts indexing and then it's a whirring noise that steadily gains in volume and power until it drowns out all other sound.

FWIW, I use docker containers with jetbrains almost 100% of the time I'm developing and have no problems with this. I'm on Windows.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I just learned that JWT is pronounced "jot" and my mind is blown. All this time I've just been saying J.W.T.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Pronouncing it like that doesn't seem terribly uncommon.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've got a pretty small app but it does need routing. Roll my own? Just use react-router? Anything else I should consider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

To clarify: I've used react router a lot, I'm just wondering if maybe there's something newer or more focused on small apps or something.