Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

I've used backbone.js a bit (mostly with marionette). What does AngularJS get me that I don't get with backbone + marionette?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Is there any reason to use RequireJS (or similar) over concating all my scripts (and dependencies) together via grunt/gulp/browserify if I'm using grunt/gulp anyways?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

are there any good examples of typescript libraries with documentation generated from type information and/or jsdoc? the jsdoc generated documentation i've dug up seems really terrible and it's not clear to me how to add things like module level documentation

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

smackfu posted:

We worked with Pivotal Labs at one point and their devs switched projects every 4-6 weeks, often with only a day’s notice. That was kind of crazy to me, but it did make sure no one was too relied on.

i worked at a place that had ~40 developers split into 8 different teams of 3-6 people. each friday there'd be a lottery and two lucky pairs would switch teams for the next week. if a team lost it's lead and got back a raw jr that was just how it went. once you 'won' the lottery you were out until everyone had rotated at least once. it was really nice to get some cross exposure and it was good preparation for someone 'critical' being unavailable. the dev manager would spend one week a month on a random team too working tickets and acting in all respects as a member of that team. it was the best place i've ever worked

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

smackfu posted:

How do people deal with feature tests (using selenium) causing build times to creep up and up as more features are added? We could just take the feature tests out of the build but I bet that would cause them to break forever in about three commits.

we don't run them in ci. just on deployment to staging

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

HaB posted:

So this is more of a general opinion question:

In my professional life, I am rarely called upon to both design a back-end API and code a front end for it. Make changes to an existing API? Sure, but by and large, I am considered "full stack" only in that I can work on both, but I am rarely completely responsible for both.

On my latest personal project however, I am doing everything myself, and that has raised some questions regarding overall approach. My initial pass was: back-end first. Basically: I have this data, here's some endpoints to get it out, front-end must deal with the rest. The issue is, I find I am doing entirely too much logic on my front-end - or at least what feels like too much logic.

For example I have a consolidated search which returns results from multiple sources - a local one, and some remote ones. Since the remote sources aren't mine, I don't have control over what field names appear. But as I am putting together the front-end pages, I am doing an awful lot of:

code:
if (data.source === 'LOCAL')
and it's started to feel really clunky. So last night I started refactoring the back-end to basically make all the search result items have the same shape, no matter what the source is. I am hoping this will greatly simplify both GraphQL queries as well as template logic.

So I guess my question is: assuming YOU are the one-stop-shop covering soup to nuts on a given app - what's your usual approach?

you could look at something like JSON-LD if you want to normalize different request shapes into a single format. this is only really useful if you're dealing with third party apis tho. for an endpoint you control i'd just write up some json schemas and make sure both the front end and back end share them and adhere to them

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

xenilk posted:

Hey guys I have a weird frontend question that I'm hoping you can answer! I was provided a third party API from which to do REST calls to do the basic frontend integration on our end. I am planning to use Vue.js for it which seems to suit my needs.

The only thing I can't seem to wrap my head around is that they allow access to their api by whitelisting ips and providing a token for basic authentification. What I was thinking was setting up some sort of API tunnel so that all the client's calls would go through my server (which is whitelisted) and then my server would in return poke the third party api with the token.

Does that make sense? If yes, what would be the best way of implementing this?

if you just need to add a http header with the token you can probably do this with just haproxy or nginx

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Dominoes posted:

Hey dudes. If you could have whatever syntax you'd like for creating DOM elements, what would it look like? Eg doesn't have to be coupled with HTML like JSX. JSX or Elm-like, but with tweaks? I'm writing a framework using Rust, which has powerful macro tools allowing somewhat-arbitrary syntax.

i like elm-html a lot, but i dunno how much sense it makes outside a haskellesque lang

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Grump posted:

Reusing state and less expensive testing to name a couple.

I feel like ppl who’ve used and tested Recompose wrappers can most easily see the benefits

can you give an example? because i don't see it either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

figma is good for design type stuff. if you want to try prototyping components in react storybook (https://storybook.js.org/) is actually really good tho.