Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
A lot of the so-called SPA frameworks don't require you to build out a SPA. Angular for example does not necessarily need to be built out as a SPA. I've made applications in it that were different pages and it works great in that role as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

I know a guy. My co-dev on the project I'm on right now loves setting all that stuff up. Which is great for me cause I am quickly bored by it all. For putting bower files somewhere not default you need a .bowerrc file in the root directory.

http://bower.io/docs/config/

Summit fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 27, 2015

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

I'm told using webpack with bower is not the ideal solution. Right now we just include all the client side stuff with npm and point webpack at it. Working good so far.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Your ng-repeat should be "comment in dishDetailCtrl.dish.comments"

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Note that I changed your iterator to "comment" (singular). So it's not doubly specified. :)

Summit fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 15, 2016

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Pretty much agree with all of this. Angular 1.5 is much more mature and straightforward and will avoid so many headaches. $scope (especially inherited scope wtf) is the way of madness and overly coupled code.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Angular performance is a concern for complex web apps (like a chat room) but for the vast majority of simple web sites it is more than up to the task. In an enterprise where the business people just want a spruced up CRUD site I think it's a great fit.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Forgive my React ignorance, just started working in it in my spare time (stories are sparse at work end of year). Does MobX solve these boilerplate problems? Granted a lot of the details are hidden/magic but it's been working great for me thus far without any need for reducers, actions, etc.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Nobody should really be saying "Angular 4" much like nobody says "React 15" (current version, since they also do semver). I'll admit Angular team has handled this situation very poorly but the piling on about version numbers is pretty silly.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

I think most are in agreement that starting something brand new with AngularJS would be a poor decision, because the mindshare has mostly moved on from it and there's a wealth of strong alternatives. But if you're already sitting on an AngularJS code base there's no need to panic about a migration path or switching over soon as it's still a very solid solution to the problem of organizing a dynamic front end and will be supported for quite a while into the future.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

TheCog posted:

As someone who's mostly worked with AngularJS (or angular 1, whatever they're calling it now), what's a natural, less painful framework for me to pick up? I'm kind of curious about Ember, cause I've heard good things, but I'd rather not sink a lot of time in if no one is using it anymore or if there's something much better.

Vue

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

I know a lot of C# lifers who swear by Visual Studio. After using it for years and then moving over to JetBrains products I have 0 desire to return.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Helicity posted:

Keep in mind that a lot of backend devs frown on Node and monoglots (people that prefer to work in a single language for everything). Node without TS is painful, callback-based programming distracts from writing the important parts (business logic), and the "omg event loop is async/fast" crowd is ignoring that there are easier ways to get full asynchronicity and there are dozens of server stacks faster than any variation of node and hundreds of server stacks that are faster than what most people need.

It's fair to not like Node, but I hope you can see how you are projecting your own preferences onto the community at large.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

In my dev circles a lot of my fellow consultants have been getting gigs doing Angular (aka ng2), which surprises me. Wasn't sure if it would catch on with all the drama surrounding AngularJS (aka ng1) but it seems to be gaining a foothold. I assume this is coming from shops who were doing AngularJS before and see Angular as a logical next step for their next projects.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Yeah I'm not sold myself. Vue seems like a better version of the same thing. That said, a lot of smaller companies find Google's backing very appealing so I bet that is quite a draw.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Yeah once you put the brackets there you need to return something. Implicit return only works sans brackets.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

dupersaurus posted:

The React answer (I think) is that you should be componentizing the styling, so instead of having styled <p>s everywhere, you've got a <StyledParagraph> that reduces down to a <p> with that global style

Yup.

Site wide css is still good too. Just depends on your needs.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Bootstrap 4 has a very nice set of utility classes and there’s no reason not to snipe them into your own css file if you don’t want the components/typography/etc.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Re: bootstrap talk

One thing I didn’t see mentioned in all that is you can customize bootstrap too. I can see why you might view it as a prototyping tool if you never change any defaults, but if you recompile the SASS you can change colors, spacing, etc etc and end up with something that looks completely unique.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

I learned everything I know trying to turn my dumb ideas into reality.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

I disagree wholeheartedly that Bootstrap is hard to work with. Granted I think it’s paramount that you setup your stylesheet build such that you can customize its variables to your needs but that’s been easy to do since version 4.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

That comparison was posted in my circles today and what I found immediately off about it was it explicitly ignored NextJS’s server side rendered features then claimed victory. Just felt a bit cherry picked and I left me curious what the comparison would be if they used SSR for both.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

I was recently shown https://github.com/pmndrs/jotai

I haven’t used it enough to form an opinion beyond the docs make it look like the perfect solution to shared states for simpler apps where full blown redux feels like overkill.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

I’ve never understood the desire to get fanboi about frameworks. They all suck. They are all great. If you use one it makes perfect sense. If you use the other it would make sense too. In some number of years we’ll all have moved on to something else. It’s the way of things.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

camoseven posted:

Found the guy who's still using Backbone and jQuery

Not sure how you made that leap. Right now I use React at work. NextJS for personal projects. My point was it’s better to keep an open mind and be able to see the value in any framework. They all have value. They will all also be replaced at some point.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Speaking of React ecosystem there’s a state management lib called jotai I’ve been checking out and it’s really drat awesome in its simplicity. It’s basically shared useState, works with all hooks the same way useState does. It isn’t ideal for everything but seems to be perfect for the basic business CRUD apps my job calls for.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

If you aren’t creating a complex app do yourself a massive favor and look into jotai and zustrand. Absolutely perfect state management for simple apps.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Learn React as best you can, put it on your resume as a technical skill, when asked say you’ve done some side projects and would love to get a role working with React professionally. Be honest that you’re green with that specific tech but experienced in frontend generally, and willing to learn something new. So many bad devs learn one lib and then refuse to acknowledge anything else exists, this will be a good explanation to certain other devs who understand that the fundamentals and the ability to learn are more important than rote knowledge.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Next kicks rear end. Just ignore the new stuff, your project wont explode if you don’t use beta features right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

If something solves your problem and is a widely accepted solution, who cares if you’re not using all of it?