Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Speaking of front end devs, we are hiring one in DC. PM me for details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

No SQL databases like monogodb (and other better options) give you false hope you can build a sustainable 2-layer application but you will be in painful positions long-term if you rely upon it for much more than advanced prototyping. Just 2.45c from a grizzled full-stack developer.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

The Insect Court posted:

Why's that? NoSQL is going to be easier to scale, and there are more performant options than mongo(which is still pretty good). You lose some ACID guarantees, but depending on the application domain that's not super important.

Houston Rockets posted:

I think he was referring to the 2-layer part. NoSQL 4 life.

Bingo. I'm personally a big fan of NoSql solutions. RavenDb is my default choice for most projects.

The Insect Court posted:

Never heard of 2-layer architectures before, just the normal 3-layer data/logic/presentation. Is 2-layer trying to shove business logic into the database?

Having your client app talking directly to the database is pretty two-layer. Now, I'm probably too grizzled and old here but I really can't trust javascript to execute my validation and security logic since it is executing on the client and is easily subvertable. Exposing the data layer (mongodb) directly to client submissions is a bit scary. I'm also old enough to remember the fun days of classic ASP and stored procs OR better yet PHP3 and mysql queries every other line. Those aren't days to go back to.

quote:

I think what he's referring to is no longer needing to use PHP/ASP/C#/etc to handle to getting the data from the database. You could handle all of that with JS, so the step of using another language to access the database would no longer be necessary.

Certainly not -- I think these newer SPA-style frameworks need that middle tier more than ever. Now, the nice part is we can go back to writing very clean middle tiers that take data in and spit data out and can render unto the browser what is the browser's so to speak. But I wouldn't dream for a minute of having my js-based app hitting a document DB directly outside of something that is purely read-only and then seeing indexes which you can perhaps argue are an effective read-only middle tier in and of themselves.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Dietrich posted:

I'm trying to stay current on this stuff, even though I can't really use it right now. I'm in the middle of an ERP implementation project that will take 3 years, and I want to come out of that crap swinging.

What sites/blogs should I follow to do so?

I second this question -- would love to know who is worth reading and who is a skinny jeans wearing handlebar mustache having hipter who should stick to riding fixies.

For a .NET guy, K. Scott Allen has dived into angular hard and is doing a great series of posts on working with it (and .NET back ends) at http://odetocode.com/blogs/all

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Mongodb has improved a lot recently, and probably will improve dramatically now that they have had another massive round of funding, but earlier versions definitely played fast and loose with data to make benchmarks look better. Remember that relational databases have 30 or so years of live fire testing to work out all the kinks and edge cases so standards are high.

People also do really dumb stuff like using redis as a backing data store without getting into disk flushing.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

We've used knockout on a few projects. The main thing I don't like is lack of graceful degradation -- I learned old-school and built up from a basic HTML form. But I get that the world is rapidly moving past that. But overall it is a very solid product with some very good pedigree and a whole boatload of real-world usage so if the model works for you roll with it.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I come from desktop apps and backend-type stuff, and knockout viewmodels added to an ASP.NET MVC app is my first "full stack" experience. I've never even touched css or html before this job. I didn't expect to pick it up so quickly, but then again I'm not coming from the old school idiom of POSTing up data from your forms, so there's no old conventions to break.

It's honestly pretty nice, but the only thing that makes me scratch my head is that apparently the JSON is, uh, plain text. It's compressed in transit, right?

That makes quite a bit of sense -- knockout was concieved of as a way to bring the MVVM pattern common in WPF and/or Silverlight apps to the browser.

JSON is plain text at heart, it comes down the pipe however you configure it which is typically gzipped because most servers will gzip everything, at least on the public internet.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

If you are coming from WPF or Silverlight than Knockout is awesome -- it is designed to support the MVVM pattern. I've done some stuff with knockout and I'm building something in angular and I don't think I'd touch knockout again given the option, angular feels alot better for the web in alot of ways.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Never spent any time with ember so I can't speak to that but angular has been picked up pretty heavily by the .NET community so there is a bit more tooling support -- IE the semi-official Web Essentials pack features pretty significant angular support baked in, etc. Neither of them should come near SQL, you probably want to be projecting out and spitting json down the wire in either case.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Our new front-end guy is looking to use CodeKit which is great and all but does it do anything you can't just about as easily do with grunt?

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Thanks for the info. How does codekit store it's "gruntfile" equivalent -- the main concern I've got is that we can't source control / recreate the environment when someone's mac dies. That and the whole part of the team not on macs.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Oh My Science posted:

They use a json format, but as you pointed out there is no Windows or Linux option.

Version Control + Grunt would be my suggestion. Once you're all working off the same repository and the config files are set-up anyone can hop in and get started quickly.

Successfully sold the skinny jeans types that they didn't even need anything more than compass at the end of the day. W00t.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

No, but it seems that ala is down . . .

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Kobayashi posted:

Is there any kind of super-light, file-based database I can use with something like Node? I ask because I do a lot of prototyping. I deploy to a lot of different environments that I do not control. Anything that reduces the number of dependencies I need makes my life so much easier. I don't care about performance, scalability, or even data integrity, really. I just need something that looks vaguely like a DB that I can use for prototypes.

How vague? If you just need a key value store a hashtable of json objects works great . . .

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

caiman posted:

I make primarily non-database driven websites. Would learning Angular benefit me at all?

Just the UI state management in a sane and rational manner works for me.

Then again I hate UI.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Newf posted:

What can you skinny jeaned, mustachioed folk tell me about integrating some of these hip js frameworks with an asp.net project? I'm building a site whose back-end is entirely c#, but whose front end will benefit from the snappy nature of client-side page generation rather than constant (say, every 5-10 seconds) client-server page render requests.

What Thermopyle said. I'll add that more specifically you might want to look at angular as it does pretty well if you want to include in a page with other complex poo poo going on -- it can just carve out a section and be happy.

If it is an intranet app you can cheat a lot using ASP.NET AJAX and update panels without ever getting into modern front ends FWIW. If this is more greenfield, I would check out using the ASP.NET web api to generate the json and such. If you are just doing GETs and are on MVC then returning json from action methods isn't a horrible option and it saves you from taking on an extra framework that has a boatload of similarly named objects to confuse the poo poo out of you. If you want to get really loopy and do streaming updates or something then you might want to check out signalr which is pretty loving nifty.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

If the query string gets eaten by the proxy pipeline you'll have more problems than just serving fresh CSS. Either way works, filenames if infrastructure supports it, query strings if not.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Ok, we are talking server-side here. Just about every server-side caching / proxy solution I know of handles query strings just fine if properly configured. Now that is a big if . . .

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Funnily enough my verizon LTE dongle is the main tool I use when stuck on v4 and needing to test v6 networking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

The Wizard of Poz posted:

Yep, that's what I figured was happening but wasn't sure how to fix it (very new to React). Thanks so much!

On a related note, are there any Visual Studio users here who develop with React? A cursory Google doesn't locate any JSX syntax highlighting solution for Visual Studio, how do you guys handle this? Do you use a separate tool (not ideal, but I can handle it if need be)?

Also, how do you guys handle rendering your JSX files to JS with Visual Studio? Or, again, do you do this with an external tool?

There aren't though it is officially on the web essentials team's and resharper's radar from what I found out -- meaning a good solution will be in the offing in the forseeable.

Not sure what the guys doing the react work are using these days, I'll check.