Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike1o1
Sep 5, 2004
Tiluvas

excidium posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on organizing large projects and coming up with trackable and achievable goals to prevent being overwhelmed? I feel like I'm getting no where on this thing because I spend too much time researching ways to do things instead of just doing them due to a lack of organization and structure. Any tips would be appreciated.

A bit late, but I've started to use Team Foundation Service in the cloud for this. It's free for teams up to 5 people and I think you can have unlimited repositories either as TFS or Git. http://www.visualstudio.com/products/visual-studio-online-overview-vs

I went from a todo-list in notepad, to a todo-list in evernote, to finally settling on the hosted TFS solution above. I do everything from a mac using the web interface which is just fantastic, so I can easily add "to do" items to my backlog from any internet device pretty much.

The great thing is that it supports git, so I have all my source code in git and all my issues and stuff setup in TFS. All my code is node.js.

I'm probably not using all of the abilities, but I basically just outline all of my major goals as features, and break those up as tasks and assign them to myself and give myself a rough time estimate. I've been a member since beta, but just started using it seriously for my first project for a month and just completed my first "sprint" and it's really helped me keep myself organized and on-task and to keep my git commit history clean.

You can automatically tie git commits to items as well just by referencing the item number in the commit message, similar to GitHub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU