Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I still can't decide if meteor is some sort of future alien technology or potentially the most bonkers confirmation that the web design world has no memory for hard learned lessons of the past.

Some of it just scares me. Querying the database from the client side? Sounds like a recipe for tears to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

The Insect Court posted:

Why's that? NoSQL is going to be easier to scale, and there are more performant options than mongo(which is still pretty good). You lose some ACID guarantees, but depending on the application domain that's not super important.

Personally I would fire any programmer that told me ACID guarantees are not "super important". Playing chicken with your data is how companies get killed.

But hey, at least its webscale!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

MrDoDo posted:

What do you mean as in "online"? Unit testing is kind of one of those things thats tricky to do after the fact, especially for a large app if it has 0 test coverage. Setting your sights on getting a test suite up, with full coverage for a large JS app in a month is pretty ambitious.

I would just get jasmine/karma running if I were you, even if it is for a sample app at the moment, just to get the hang of it and see how it works. Then pick just a few small sections of the application you know a little bit about and practice writing tests.

Word. I started work at a large web firm that had this horrible inhouse CMS* written in bad PHP with everything wrong with PHP encoded in this mess (inline html, sql injections, long-drop coding styles (It starts at the top of the file, and drops all the waaaay through a big spagetti mess to the bottom and at the end lies a programmers lifeless corpse) and so on. All this built up over years of patches and crufting. Anyway, I got told I was being put onto a project to have "full coverage" for this code base. I pretty much said straight up it was a pipe dream because so much of the code just didn't lend itself to unit testing being massively side-effect filled, poorly structured with almost no object orientation at all. The loving thing managed to crash PhpLint, it was that bad. Anyway after lots of arguing I suggested a broader project of slowly refactoring the whole codebase into something modern and compliant and unit testing that. I was put on the task knowing it'd take me and another guy the better part of a year. Then I got sick and ended up in hospital. Then the recession hit whilst I was in hospital. Then the company died, because it turns out "Inhouse CMS" is a loving worthless assett that adds nothing to your share price, probably. The end.

*(Protip: AVOID companies with their own inhouse CMSs. They loving dement companies because management end up believing these hokey loving cms's are their secret weapon when in reality they are usually written by bad programmers, maintained by bad programmers and are filled with layers upon layers of crust custom written for long forgotten customers, with SQL injections galore, entwangled HTML and code and so on)

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Duck monster I've always considered you to be a sort of programmer's George R. R. Martin, and posts like this remind me why.

"Nothing good ever happens and every hope and dream you ever had will be torn screaming to the ground and fed into the churning maw of hell itself"

The only reason I'm still working as a programmer, is because at 40 its too late to change. I only post to remind people their life is meaningless and their dreams futile. Upon accepting this, and the resultant 7 stages of grief, they will eventually come to accept it, and finally be at peace scratching out a living in the dilbertesque hellscape that is software development. In short;- Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed.

:suicide:

duck monster fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 17, 2014

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Hooray , more package managers! Just what JS was missing!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Man, I *really* like Svelte, like, a lot. And as someone that generally, and perhaps irrationally, detests JS, thats high praise from me.

But its hard to escape the conclusion that the people that write these frameworks live in enclosed boxes. Most of the instructions on the net keep refering to sveletekit, ok so far so good, its got a few neat addons like routing that I like.

But sveltekit *really* wants you to write its backend in their weird backend framework, and yeah, I dont *do* backend JS. Our company has a significant investment in Python FastAPI and Django* (We do data science, Python is the way) and I just want to have this thing poo poo out a nugget of JS I can upload into cloudflare and *not* be backend. Apparently it can do it, as to how, I dont loving know.

* And an absolutely moronic piece of software written in PHP that acts as a TCP server that I protested *hard* about buuuuut the boss seemed to think the new guy was smart therefore..... The less said about that the better.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

ynohtna posted:

Is there a reason you can't use SvelteKit's static adapter? https://kit.svelte.dev/docs/adapter-static

I havent been able to get that thing to make its URLs work properly.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Typescript is unequivocably a Good Thing. The problem with TS really is that because it needs to be compatible with JS its all optional mechanism which leads to that weird limbo of "I want to use TS here, but it invokes the exploding chaos if I include this old library so I might just dumb down the linter to cope with it.". When *everything* is static explicit types like C or whatever, theres really no ambiguity and thus everything works.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 16, 2023

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Considering that 95% of what we're making here are fucken web pages, this is an entire industry built on overengineering the poo poo out of everything.

I mean gently caress, we have compiler chains and not only that but they are usually more complicated than C compiler chains. I repeat, we have compiler chains, for an interpreted language for web pages that might just work just as well with a bit of footerJS to automate the forms. EVERYTHING is overkill in 2023 web development.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

hey mom its 420 posted:

where i work we use python for the backend and it's the same poo poo, if not worse. at least js doesn't have xkcd comics about its horrendous package management

What the hell are you guys doing thats making it worse? One of the big attractions of python is that its ecosystem is old (its significantly older than JS, or even Java, python is as old as balls) , well maintained and comprised of packages that include a lot of batteries. Even with some of the newer stuff, a Fastapi backend is fastapi, your ORM of choice, maybe something to make things fit in containers better and .... thats about it, 90% of the time. virtualenv (or whatever your package management stack of choice is, its all Pip in the end) can be a little crunchy at times, but at least it properly isolates your runtime.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

teen phone cutie posted:

i could see how the default package management strategy in Python is terrible. My last company at least just spit all the dependencies into a requirements.txt file and that's annoying because you will obviously forget how the dependency tree works a week later because you have your direct dependencies and nested dependencies all in that one file with nothing telling you how they all link together.

But you should really be using pip-tools if you've got that kind of setup which makes dealing with python dependencies so much better: https://medium.com/@ramalhodevitor/abandon-requirements-txt-for-managing-dependencies-in-python-immediately-50b1c45b824a

Pipenv + Pyenv (Think of it as Pipenv being a python equiv to npm/yarn , its a thing that essentially uses the pip/pypy repo but adds a bunch of useful reproducability stuff, scripts, specifying python versions, env variables etc. Pyenv works with pipenv and essentially is a python version of nvm) You basically create a 'Pipfile' file
code:
[[source]]
url = "https://pypi.org/simple"
verify_ssl = true
name = "pypi"

[packages]
fastapi="*" #later on just change this version to the version in the Pipfile.lock
[dev-packages]
packagename="version"
packagename="version"
[requires]
python_version = "3.11"
python_full_version = "3.11.4"
run pipfile install then pipenv install && pipenv shell and your good to go. (add new packages with pipfile install <package>. Or just update the pipfile and let your IDE keep it in sync
yst
Or just use conda I guess. Popular with the datascience people, and notably good at getting the more esoteric system deps in order. But not so common outside of academia and datascience

duck monster fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 3, 2023

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

teen phone cutie posted:

lmao i keep thinking "why the gently caress did i bookmark this python thread"

Thats a *very* fine point, and probably best we shuffle that discussion over to the correct place.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

prom candy posted:

I hosed around with Rails' version of HTMX over the weekend (Turbo + Stimulus) and it sucks if you're used to reactivity. Having to manually coordinate DOM updates instead of just changing your data and getting a new render pass is really hard to go back to for me.

It's a shame because it's undeniable that working in one of those batteries included frameworks like Rails is wildly productive but having everything grind to a halt because you want to add a combo box or something is brutal.

Can't you just drop in a component somewhere (I havent done Ruby in a long time, so I have no idea how turbo + stimulus works, I just remember that for a while rubys answer to SPA was some stupid library that just preloaded pages and broke things. Which is a shame, because other than its dreadful default ORM, rails is a lot of fun.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

The gently caress I know. There's a whole lot of poo poo I could rant about. And did so in the past in various other threads in this subforum. I think the best recent one was one of the guys in the department I'm doing the planning for, asked me to set up a network drive, because our IT department couldn't manage (probably by them attempting some harebrained account-specific solution via GPOs, which was ridiculous, because said system was pretty much single user... which is the explanation I made up in my mind).

Seriously, reading back some of these rants in the past about this company, it feels like I was posting on shrooms or some poo poo, but I'm not even joking.

I've slipped into my current mixed position of production planning and data analyst because of random happenstance and some computer knowledge coming from my hobbies. And I feel like I'm being gaslit every time I deal with them. But since job hopping isn't so much a thing where in Europe as it is in the US, combined with the lack of sufficient paperwork (i.e. diplomas ans poo poo) that they tend to insist on around these parts, I have to stick to this for a while.

This is a pretty universal experience. Theres a *lot* of whackness out there in the land of corporate IT.