Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Thanks for the thread I've been hoping one would pop up (I was getting pretty close to creating one that wouldn't have been nearly as good).

Currently tutsplus.com ($20/mo) has a few good tutorials for this new style of web development. I'm running one on their site that basically teaches you how to create a whole analytics app with graphs and other cool elements with Ember.js using MongoDB, require, and a bunch of other stuff. It's been an extremely helpful place to get started after watching the old EmberJS video tutorial on the Ember site. The books on these subjects are obsolete almost before they're published.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
You can pretty much separate the two completely. Use .NET to handle all of the server side stuff, and it comes down to preference for anything client side that I can imagine at the moment. You can post your AJAX requests to your controllers server side and use the data pretty much exactly the same as a standard MVC app. Format your MVC view to spit out some JSON or something server-side and parse it with the front-end framework.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
First page guys.

Knyteguy posted:

Currently tutsplus.com ($20/mo) has a few good tutorials for this new style of web development. I'm running one on their site that basically teaches you how to create a whole analytics app with graphs and other cool elements with Ember.js using MongoDB, require, and a bunch of other stuff. It's been an extremely helpful place to get started after watching the old EmberJS video tutorial on the Ember site. The books on these subjects are obsolete almost before they're published.

The tutorials are far from perfect, but I've found that site to be a great resource to get my feet wet along with Ember's docs on their sites.

Be sure to check them out before throwing any money down (seriously watch the first two videos if a certain lesson plan piques your interest):
Ember:
https://tutsplus.com/?s=ember&post_type=all
https://tutsplus.com/course/end-to-end-analytics/
https://tutsplus.com/course/hands-on-emberjs/
https://tutsplus.com/course/ember-for-beginners/
Meteor
https://tutsplus.com/course/building-single-page-web-application-with-meteor-js/

They probably have more but that was a quick initial search.

The developers blow through the content pretty quickly because they copy+paste code sometimes, so it's important to be ready to pause so you can copy the code down. Alternatively you can download the source code and just follow along instead it that's how you prefer to learn.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Aniki posted:

Thanks, I missed that.

Edit: These videos seem like they're going to be helpful.

They're OK (especially for the money), but they'll throw curveballs at you that make it difficult to follow sometimes. Barring all of that I still feel they're worth it.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
What would be better to (re) invest my time into learning? Angular or Ember? I was checking out Ember fairly heavily at one point but I haven't kept up in the past few months.

What's easier to learn, and has better docs, books, resources, and such? Is there any input on which may become the framework of choice down the road?

Also has anyone tried developing with either with a Microsoft stack like MVC and SQL Server?

Thanks.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Analytic Engine posted:

Can someone please brutally rip apart my resume? I'm shooting for internships or entry-level work in web dev and data visualization in NYC.

My background is in science and only tangentially related to coding, and Goons have been super helpful so far.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/362h1sbf2tz32q6/ae_resume_8_12_newest.pdf
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5e2jws93sswrg0/ae_resume_8_12_newest.docx

May want to try the newbie/get a job megathread.

A lot of that stuff seems irrelevant to me to get a job as a developer. If I going to be interviewing developer candidates, I wouldn't really care that you worked as a convenience store clerk. I wouldn't really care about much of the rest of it either besides the "Web Developer and Designer, Freelance, Newcity, NY Jan ‘14 to Present".

Consider adding a link to your github. If you don't have one then start one and get some small projects up on there. I remember another posted mentioned making a quick pastebin clone or something (maybe without syntax highlighting). I don't think it is necessarily a requirement, but I bet seeing some of your actual code would help get you to the interview stage.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Ahz posted:

What's the recommended file/way of serving a crisp quality logo on a page?

I have my logo and It looks fine on my home machine in Safari/Firefox etc. @ 30px height. But I load the same thing on my iPhone 5s and it's blurry. I tried both 8bit png and 24 bit png.

My guess would be the Retina screen is causing blurriness. This goes a little bit more into it:
https://support.ceros.com/posts/627788-what-dimensions-in-pixels-should-i-make-my-images/public

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I think this is the right place for this.

It seems like a lot of modern JS libraries are pretty terrible at explaining both what they do, and once you figure that out, how to do it.

Anyway I'm trying to learn how to use requirejs for easy dependency management and DRY templating as far as script loading goes, for what I'm hoping is a small, easy project. Am I doing this right?

index.html
<script data-main="js/main" src="js/vendor/require.js"></script>

js/main.js
require(["vendor/modernizr-2.6.2.min"], function(mordernizr) {
});

js/vendor
-- modernizr-2.6.2.min.js

Can I do the same for Google Analytics? Angular?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

The Wizard of Poz posted:

I kind of hinted toward this in a previous post, but I'm wondering what people's overall workflow looks like for those of you that use tools like Visual Studio. I'm a full stack developer so I tend to be working on a lot of .NET C# stuff as well as the frontend, meaning I'd like to do as much as I can within the same IDE. Specifically I'm referring to things like RequireJS, how do you guys manage the compiling of the modules into a bundled JS file? How do you compile your JSX files? Someone mentioned having a watcher running (this is what I currently use with npm: watchify + browserify) but I was wondering if there's something that is more integrated with Visual Studio?

I'm not entirely sure if this is what you're looking for, but Web Essentials is great. If you don't have it yet it's pretty nice for bundling. So you can have all your separate files unminified in VS, and just point your includes/header references to the generated bundle file. If any actual compiling is necessary for modules or something I've just written plugins that run command line stuff first, which I'd imagine you could get to to work with the bundle if you needed to (you can configure when the bundle is generated).

e: took me a minute to get that phrasing how I wanted it.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I haven't paid attention to the frontend world of web development for a couple years now. I'm thinking about picking up a frontend framework to add to my toolkit, but I'm using a more traditional SQL Server DB and it deals with sensitive information, so I can't have something that binds or queries directly from the database. Anything that fits this that isn't jQuery (since I'm familiar with jQuery and will hopefully be using it alongside this)?

ASP.NET of some flavor will be used if it matters. Is there anything new in the CSS world that's worth knowing about?