Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I didn't know about the egghead.io videos for AngularJS at the time but I will say the following video by Dan Wahlin helped a lot when starting out:

AngularJS Fundamentals in 60-ish Minutes

I'm really bad at learning new things but this helped me out, hope it helps someone else too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Are classes really being faded away? Like what usage scenarios would require a class over a function component?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

What are the main disadvantages of classes? Does it add some kind of bloat? I'm asking as someone who always used classes and just wondering what the big deal about function components are.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

prom candy posted:

The big problem with class components in React is that the lifecycle methods become difficult to follow. Unrelated code gets mixed up under the same componentDidMount or componentDidUpdate hooks, and if you have some logic that's spread across 2-3 different lifecycle methods it can be really hard to follow.

With hooks you can toss all related code in the same useEffect hook and if you've got a couple of different things going on in the same component that have effects you can just create a second useEffect hook to keep them separate (and because they'll probably have different dependencies).

The other big problem with classes is you can't use hooks in them (default or custom) and pretty soon there's gonna be a lot of great libraries that don't export anything but hooks.

But yeah it's also a newness thing, everyone in React world is down on OOP and rock hard for FP lately so classes are now uncool.

I like OOP though :( This is pretty interesting but I'll admit I haven't kept up with this hooks stuff. Will need to dive in and check it out to see what's going on.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

So I finally read the docs and yeah hooks seem pretty cool. Looking back at my last job I could definitely think of where I would have loved to implement some custom hooks. Although deep down I was hoping it included a substitute for redux. My last project before leaving was a jquery to react rewrite utilizing separate pages so no global state was needed on the frontend. It felt so good to not have to deal with it.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

prom candy posted:

You also don't need it the way you used to.

Has there been some update? I haven't used redux in over a year since I stopped working on an SPA.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

dantheman650 posted:

Any of you know of a good React calendar component that allows scheduling repeating events? Basically google calendar in React.

The only react calendar I can think of is react-big-calendar and I vaguely remember having to write the repeating events myself. :( Hopefully there's something better out there now.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

dantheman650 posted:

I did a bunch of research and ended up finding Full Calendar - I got a little demo app running locally in no time. Super easy to use and seems pretty powerful.

I’m happy you’re happy. Are timezones a requirement for your project? That was another pain in the rear end for me. I hope to never work on another calendar again but if I do I’ll check this Full Calendar out.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I've been happy with npm and using package-lock. I actually haven't heard anyone near me say they use yarn anymore.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I’ve never had to mess with Codility before. So do most companies send home whiteboard bullshit now or is it still majority during the actual interview?

I finally decided to get a job and I’m just dreading this annoying part. I kind of miss interviews outside of tech where you just kind of talked about yourself and discussed poo poo lol

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Ape Fist posted:

I have a young family and it's ten thousand pounds in a city where ten thousand pounds is loving huge. So I don't get to make these kinds of decisions thinking solely about myself.

If you think long term you’ll be happy with the new job then take it. The best job is one where you’re happy otherwise burnout happens. And that’s not good for you or a family.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

What site do you guys recommend to look for jobs these days?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Vincent Valentine posted:

Glassdoor, indeed, and whoishiring.io

I'm particularly partial to whoishiring, but that's largely because I'm in Los Angeles. Anyone who lives in LA can tell you saying "located in Los Angeles" is utterly useless information. I live in the city, and depending on where I'm going I can drive for two hours and still be in the city. Having a pin on the map showing exact location makes all the difference.

Thank you sir it's time I became employed again.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I remember there was a time in one of the offices I was at where people stopped using component state and went all redux. Like even for isolated things like a radio button being filled that doesn't affect the app anywhere else.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Starting to get interviews lined up. Man I'm super nervous, haven't had an interview in four years. Just feel like I'm going to have some kid make me feel like a fool over a whiteboard. Anything you guys do before interviews to get in the zone?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I already do that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Ape Fist posted:

For the first time in 11 years of doing this poo poo I have been asked to present my degree for a company I'm supposed to be starting with in like 2 weeks. My degree in 'Web Design and Development' where I learned HTML, CSS, ES3 and Jasc Paint Shop Pro. My degree whose paperwork I lost when I moved to the other side of the Atlantic. My degree from which the Uni I got it from won't release re-prints without being able to take a direct physical print of my ID, which is on the other side of the Atlantic. And my notice period ends in 3 business days at my current employer. Great.

It's a people check thing handled through a 3rd party so it may just be standard procedure for them to ask for it and I'll phone the company on Monday and tell them it's going to take months for me to get ahold of this stupid loving Definitely Relevant In 2019 paperwork for them. If they can't budge then I guess I'll have to retract my resignation at my current place which definitely doesn't look weird and also forgo the £12500 raise I was getting.

Wow I'm so sorry man. If the company personally cares about it can they not just call the university and confirm your degree? I'm guessing from now on you will remove it from your resume if you can't get a copy of it? At the end of the day you have way too much experience to bother with it anymore.