Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

A major IOS update 7.1 was released today.

This is an important update for front end web devs that develop webapps with very complex data binding scenarios combined with lots of handlers.

The issue is most apparent on iOS 7 devices with 512 or less Ram. During the data binding, safari would totally crash itself with out of memory exceptions.

7.1 has finally fixed this major bug and even improved performance.

Nice after spending 60 hours this year working around this issue alone....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

Tres Burritos posted:

So am I stupid for not trying out Node and all the weird poo poo that goes with it? At my current (new) job I'm basically doing all javaScript all the time and I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to learn / mess with it. I see the OP mentions Grunt, would that be a good first thing to try out with Node?

Node just seems weird to me.

Also is there a consensus on Kendo around here? Previous projects used KnockOut but for the one I'm working on they've decided to go with Kendo.

Personally I don't think it makes sense to make a decision to use Node to be based off what you use for a frontend framework. I'm assuming you're talking about using Node for backend?
I spend a lot of my time working with Javascript frontends but the browser does the bootstrapping so I have no choice but to use JS.
With that, I prefer .Net for non-web clients and backends so therefore I use C#/.Net, by the time the JS frontend is talking to whatever backend you have, it's really only going to be about serializing/deserializing & mapping your data structures. I've heard people tout that with Node they can reuse their data structure objects between client and server which just sounds crazy to me.
Kendo is alright, I like Telerik, but Kendo and Knockout aren't mutually exclusive.
Kendo is just a set of web front end libraries, mostly UI controls and other such helpers.
Knockout comes with Observable/subscribable values/arrays and a declarative html data binding syntax to bind DOM nodes to Javascript objects. I don't think Kendo does any of that? Though I know it has some layout manager stuff ..

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

Has anyone here migrated from knockout to react? I'm really liking the look of react and the component model looks much more sane than abusing the DOM for components.

I'm having crashing due to out of memory errors on Safari IOS due to a hugely complex DOM, so that is my primary motivator for switching. Can anyone whose made the switch comment on performance gains?

I'm assuming react has its own equivalents for observable arrays and computed observables? Or are they no longer necessary? I'll be prototyping this weekend so that should come yo light pretty quickly.

Just curious about others' experience as react as quite a different architecture but it looks like you can have much better separation of view model and view.

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

Awesome stuff Maluco, that helps a lot and clears up in my mind the 2 way property change pattern
That gives me a good idea of how I might be able to port just the problem code to react for now to see if I get any gains