Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adahn the nameless
Jul 12, 2006

JediGandalf posted:

I'm already designing a pretty client-driven SPA application that uses ASP.NET MVC. I'm still building the models of the server side so I haven't gotten to anything client or view related. That's the very last thing I do. But I want to know which client framework would probably be best with ASP.NET MVC. Apparently Knockout is included with ASP.NET MVC. Anyone have any opinions on that?

Oh and I am clean shaven but I'm wearing skinny-ish jeans.

If you want to stick with knockout, try Durandal. http://durandaljs.com/ It's a MVVM view composition framework built with knockout. Otherwise, Angular is a fine choice too. Or ember. Or one of the million other front end spa frameworks. I'd also recommend checking out BreezeJS. It provides a client-side data layer, and if you're using the microsoft-happy path, ties in smoothly with Entity Framework.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adahn the nameless
Jul 12, 2006

Cryolite posted:

I've been using it for the past few months on some extremely complex and dynamic forms. We love it since it makes things that would otherwise be a convoluted mess of jQuery very easy.

Our front-end code organization is poo poo though so I've been wanting to look into Angular or some other framework that imposes some kind of structure. Knockout does data-binding and does it very well but at the end of the day it's just a library, not a framework.

If you want knockout with structure geared towards a spa then check out Durandaljs.

Adahn the nameless
Jul 12, 2006

Cryolite posted:

I've heard of Durandal but it seems to be a for-profit venture by the people developing it which makes me a little uncomfortable. If they close up shop I think I'd be left with a dead framework especially since it seems to have little uptake so far. Angular's taken off enough that even if Google stopped official support I bet it would survive. Another group at my company actually looked into using Durandal but abandoned it in favor of Angular.

The number of jobs referencing Angular vs. Durandal on indeed.com is also a factor...

Yeah, there's no doubt that Angular is king of the mountain in terms of front-end frameworks. Community adoption, tons of extensions, widget libraries, etc. I was throwing Durandal out there as an option if you have enough of an investment in Knockout that the switching cost would be prohibitive for whatever reason (other developers, existing application very heavily based in knockout). Certainly if I was going to recommend a new spa framework it would be Angular.