Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

AHungryRobot posted:

I liked it enough to S-rank all the missions to max out my FRS.

Occupation of Arteria Carpals on Hard :smithicide:

Don't stop for noooooooothing. Man FA had some amazing missions.

Also anyone saying hawker was going to be chrome hounds 2 was an idiot though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Made a 360 team.

Name: Goon Bots
Pw: lljk

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
To add to the OP, I unlocked the UNAS thingies and I'm disapointed.

Basically UNAC are AC's that you build with the parts you have and then upgrade their capabilities with money or loading operation files. I don't know what the upgrades actually do, mine is Lv3 everything and I can't see any difference.

The second part is the AI system, you basically load basic blocks (movements, using weapons, scanning) onto the UNAC and then configure scenarios for each block (example: movements>close range / medium range). The parameters you can edit are pretty basic but their description is also badly translated so you'll have to experiment. But what makes the system stupid is that you have to basically write down your weapons stats like optimal range to then configure the blocks depending on the weapons the UNAC have equipped.

When you modify parameters it uses up some points that I don't know about, maybe it is linked to the leveling up ??

It seems the UNAC cannot equip some parts you unlocked in story mode like the special arms with built in howitzer.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like your UNAC cannot fight without you weither you're playing or not, UNAC's are basically AI Mercenaries that were added as a band aid for the bad matching system so people can still play world mode alone with a team full of AI.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Okay, I've never played an Armored Core game before and just picked up a PS3 last month. Which game would you fine chaps recommend that I start out with? For Answer? This one? I'm a little overwhelmed looking at the amount of games in the series and the wildly varying opinions on them.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Okay, I've never played an Armored Core game before and just picked up a PS3 last month. Which game would you fine chaps recommend that I start out with? For Answer? This one? I'm a little overwhelmed looking at the amount of games in the series and the wildly varying opinions on them.

If you want to play with other players you should pick up this one because Armored Core games have terrible multiplayers are usually deserted 2 months after the game release. Also I hope this game is region locked because I played 2 games as a merc yesterday with the superb income of -75,000 (yes negative income I actually spent money to be a merc) and I'm actually ranked something like 40th at the leaderboard and there is a whopping total of about 80 players on that leaderboard.

While 80 EU players total is pretty scary, it's even scarier if it's worldwide.

TPSDude
Apr 7, 2011

Tank Goon
I build my UNACS with tank legs and as much AP and throw Auto cannons and howitzers on them, my only problem with them is that they just follow you around and then their pathfinding fails them. I'm sure someone will translate a JP wiki on optimal UNAC configs at some point. I did some normal missions to see what they reward and each completed mission fills bar of a six tick gauge which then allows a special mission to be done.

EDIT: Found link to a slide share that really breaks down the new mechanics they've added in ACVD http://www.slideshare.net/Moon1Walker4/armored-core-verdict-day-15 worth a read to know what mechanics they've added or changed, might be worth putting in the OP.

TPSDude fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 25, 2013

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Anyone want to get together in an hour and try a special sortie? Assuming Atlatl picks up his copy we have enough for a full team.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Store didn't have it so I'm still downloading it. Also I don't have a mic (yet).

e: There's no way it's going to be done so I'm just going to leave it on overnight and pick up a mic tomorrow after work. Hopefully I can plow through enough of the story that I have the money for a decent build before the end of tomorrow.

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 26, 2013

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

So assuming the entire player base vanishes over night for this game would there still be a game to play or will this be like ACV where once the player base leaves the game will be boring and not fun? I always liked the single player stuff way more then the multiplayer in this but if it's still got such a focus on mp I think I'll pass.

Like they keep saying it's got a single player campaign and stuff but is that just a short little thing or a real AC campaign? Definitely gonna wait for a hands on before I get it.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

randombattle posted:

So assuming the entire player base vanishes over night for this game would there still be a game to play or will this be like ACV where once the player base leaves the game will be boring and not fun? I always liked the single player stuff way more then the multiplayer in this but if it's still got such a focus on mp I think I'll pass.

Like they keep saying it's got a single player campaign and stuff but is that just a short little thing or a real AC campaign? Definitely gonna wait for a hands on before I get it.

It's pretty short but they added the AI so you can play the online thing even without players

TPSDude
Apr 7, 2011

Tank Goon
I'm up for a special sortie, but be warned some of them can be pretty BS and definitely require a person run a tank or quad with sniper cannons. The beyblade boss? Imagine fighting 6 at once.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

TPSDude posted:

I'm up for a special sortie, but be warned some of them can be pretty BS and definitely require a person run a tank or quad with sniper cannons. The beyblade boss? Imagine fighting 6 at once.

With any luck we'll be fighting an enemy team. I managed to find a couple last night.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

So this is basically Armored Core V all over again, except the playerbase will die out even quicker since a lot of people were burned when ACV came out?

From, you had a good thing with AC4A why did you have to mess it up :negative:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Reive posted:

Is there a demo? If not any impressions yet?

It's Armored Core V with incremental improvements and fixed online.

Also, I got to the final boss and it kinda blew my mind a little. It's The White Glint. And you have to fight him in an ACV-era AC. He towers over you and your guns can't even penetrate his kojima shield. Also a remix of Remember plays during the fight. Holy gently caress that's fantastic.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

Also, I got to the final boss and it kinda blew my mind a little. It's The White Glint. And you have to fight him in an ACV-era AC. He towers over you and your guns can't even penetrate his kojima shield. Also a remix of Remember plays during the fight. Holy gently caress that's fantastic.

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUCK

Guess I gotta buy this now.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I really liked For Answer (enough to beat all the missions on hard) but skipped ACV. Would this game be worth buying? In particular, did they improve the non mech enemies at all to keep it interesting?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Did they keep in the stupid random min-max BS on everything? Use to be nothing but super-lightweight flying mechs with ridiculously strong guns in PvP.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I joined the PS3 team (PSN: Uninformed).

Could someone give me some real basic tips on tactics and what parts to buy first, stuff like that? I haven't played any Armored Core games before, and as a testament to my lack of skill, I barely made it through the second story mission with 170 health points (?) left.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Cheap Trick posted:

Could someone give me some real basic tips on tactics and what parts to buy first, stuff like that? I haven't played any Armored Core games before, and as a testament to my lack of skill, I barely made it through the second story mission with 170 health points (?) left.

KE Weapons are easier to use (Gatlings, Rifles, Battle Rifles) also try to stay in optimal range for those weapons. Don't use Junk parts

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
360 team is still empty what's up ?

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
So I may have to go out and get this seeing that I get payed today. PS3 team still taking new pilots?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

Well crap now I have to get it THANKS ALOT.

Edit: Joined into Goonal Cortex as Anti-Lincoln

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 26, 2013

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Nanomashoes posted:

Goddammit that's the best possible boss fight I never knew I always wanted gently caress now I have to get this game for the sake of a single boss fight.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Mission 10 is loving hard been trying for hours, when I get to phase 2 I get destroyed instantly

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
In on PS3 as t3hRogg. Let's shoot some robot.

Edit: jaidoartex is a good guy.

lokipunk fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 26, 2013

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Nanomashoes posted:

His intro cutscene is basically the AC4A opening. :allears: Phase 2 is horeshit though. I feel like it's probably going to be as bad as that last 5 v 2 in AC4A on Hard.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Atlatl posted:

His intro cutscene is basically the AC4A opening. :allears: Phase 2 is horeshit though. I feel like it's probably going to be as bad as that last 5 v 2 in AC4A on Hard.

I can get past his first form no problem, and I almost have phase 2 figured out. I just need a victim volunteer to draw his fire while I charge up the giga cannon.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I would help and bring a giga missile, but unfortunately I played V on 360 and my 360 broke so I don't have any of my old parts.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'll be up for playing Verdict Day this weekend. I hope there's a goon that wants to do story missions (and orders? can you coop orders?) so we can stock up on parts for the inevitable online matches we might be able to do.

TPSDude
Apr 7, 2011

Tank Goon
Well I got us to F+, working on getting to E- tonight. If your running normal missions, it behooves you to destroy the sub target crates or you will never break even on any attack for money.

Edit: Meant E-, and we got it, enjoy your cheevo.

TPSDude fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 27, 2013

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Still no luck at beating the final boss, this fight is bullshit. Also 360 team is still empty please enlist

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Cheap Trick posted:

Your leg parts are gonna be the biggest factor on how your AC plays, so decide on the legs first. Bipeds have the fastest horizontal movement speeds, making them good for close combat ACs, reverse joints jump higher, making them better at long range combat (bonus vertical distance between you and the enemy can help you keep him in your range while keeping out of his). Tetrapods get accuracy bonuses when using big guns, making them stationary ultra-long range snipers, and tanks are slow and can't jump for poo poo, but they can use two big guns at the same time while moving, giving them absolutely immense firepower (2-3 shotting unlucky small ACs). Once you have your legs, pick appropriate guns. Heavy bipeds and tetrapods usually want one ready-mode weapon (the big ones), and Tanks want two. Other than that just pick guns that sound like they work well with your AC, and generally try to have two damage types. Don't be afraid to only slot two or three guns, weapons you have in your bays can't be fired. Grab your generator third. You pretty much always want a high output unless you're using TE weaponry, in which case get a balanced for 1 TE weapon and a high capacity for 2. After that, buy the core parts that have the best stats for what you want to do while keeping below weight and energy limits. You can hit triangle to bring up more stats on each part, and select to see a description of the stats. Never exceed your weight or energy limits until you really know what you're doing.

Sh4 posted:

Also 360 team is still empty please enlist
Niche Japanese games tend to get more players on the PS3, sorry.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Not to mention us Xbox players got truly screw on the last game, where our multiplayer wasn't even functional compared to the PS3.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I may get this on 360, not sure yet.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

How do the new armored cores compare to my rose tinted memories of armored core 2?

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
This loving album. Holy poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ArmoredCoreOSTs/videos

The reprises are great:allears:

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

Your leg parts are gonna be the biggest factor on how your AC plays, so decide on the legs first. Bipeds have the fastest horizontal movement speeds, making them good for close combat ACs, reverse joints jump higher, making them better at long range combat (bonus vertical distance between you and the enemy can help you keep him in your range while keeping out of his). Tetrapods get accuracy bonuses when using big guns, making them stationary ultra-long range snipers, and tanks are slow and can't jump for poo poo, but they can use two big guns at the same time while moving, giving them absolutely immense firepower (2-3 shotting unlucky small ACs). Once you have your legs, pick appropriate guns. Heavy bipeds and tetrapods usually want one ready-mode weapon (the big ones), and Tanks want two. Other than that just pick guns that sound like they work well with your AC, and generally try to have two damage types. Don't be afraid to only slot two or three guns, weapons you have in your bays can't be fired. Grab your generator third. You pretty much always want a high output unless you're using TE weaponry, in which case get a balanced for 1 TE weapon and a high capacity for 2. After that, buy the core parts that have the best stats for what you want to do while keeping below weight and energy limits. You can hit triangle to bring up more stats on each part, and select to see a description of the stats. Never exceed your weight or energy limits until you really know what you're doing.

Okay, cheers! I'm guessing that more part-types are unlocked as I progress, since so far I only have biped and reverse-joint legs available, for example. My starter AC is literally a bunch of junk parts.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

Optiquest posted:

How do the new armored cores compare to my rose tinted memories of armored core 2?

I think 5 really hit a sweet spot between Spazcore 4 and AC2. I'd like to get this for the 360, but yeah, we got hosed on the last one. I am sure I'll have to pick it up actually, those giant robots...:gay:

Dire
Dec 31, 2007

Joining the PS3 team. (PSN: Direlynx)

Warning: I'm kind of a casual AC fan and I'm pretty much useless in MP so I'll probably stick to doing singleplayer stuff and building ACs that look cool. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Dire posted:

Joining the PS3 team. (PSN: Direlynx)

Warning: I'm kind of a casual AC fan and I'm pretty much useless in MP so I'll probably stick to doing singleplayer stuff and building ACs that look cool. :)

I am too, multiplayer is fun regardless. No matter how bad you are, theres always someone worse!

• Locked thread