Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
They did a good job of making operator really fun to play and there are some really cool support setups you can make, so it's pretty easy to be helpful to your team even if you haven't played a lot.

Also is it just me or is one of the maps basically just the Spirit of Motherwill's wreck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Atlatl posted:

They did a good job of making operator really fun to play and there are some really cool support setups you can make, so it's pretty easy to be helpful to your team even if you haven't played a lot.

Also is it just me or is one of the maps basically just the Spirit of Motherwill's wreck?

It most certainly is. The song name on the OST for that mission is "Return of the Motherwill" or something like that.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
So on the fence on this one....ps3 sounds like the way to go but....I do suck at these so much and was burned when I bought ac V on 360 :(

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

You guys seem to disintegrate every time there's an enemy tank on the field, so let me give you some pointers:
1)Don't be in front of a tank
2)Stay back from them. Most tanks are packing autocannons which are rediculously inaccurate at long ranges. Get sniper rifles or just regular rifles and just boost backwards while plinking at them.
3)Focus the tank last. They take a lot of punishment, but take down his team and a tank's a sitting duck.
4)Be the one picking the fight. If the other team is able to maneuver their tank into position and set everything up, of course you're gonna die. Instead, follow me when I boost into and around them. It's actually a lot safer to charge the enemy than you'd think with the amount of speed you can get vs their turn rates.

What not to do:
Let the tank come to you.
Stand in front of the tank.
Try to overpower the tank.
Focus the tank first.

Other things to try:
Have one guy peg the tank with a target gun and sit back and kill it with the easiest missile hits of your life.

Ksrugi
Mar 21, 2010
How does this compare to the PSX versions of Armored Core? I haven't played since the PS2 era and I remember one of my friends having a complaint that AC4 was super dumbed down from previous versions.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

Nanomashoes posted:

Goon Teams

PS3:
code:
Name: Goonal Cortex 
Password: lljk

Members (15/20):
Nanomashoes
TPSdude
Ineffiable
Atlatl
agean90
lokipunk
Cheap Trick
JaidoArtex
XxSSJSephirothxX
Renegade_shadow
Revolver_knight
Dire
Saintv77
bryitis
Lordpen
Xbox 360

code:
Name: Goon Bots
Password: lljk

Members (1/20):
Sh4

Please add me - Soggy Gravy for ps3! (psn is Soggy-Gravy)

SoggyGravy fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Sep 28, 2013

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'll have time to play today. Let me know if you want to do a sortie. I might just be on to do campaign and orders and you're welcome to join.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm probably going to be a debbie downer but I picked up ACV on 360 before and enjoyed it but there was no MP community to speak of in EU. I'm thinking of grabbing this on my Ps3 though, how much did they improve on ACV?

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
In a shock to no one I was on with a couple of goons (66 and 77) who did not seem to be interested in forming any sort of sortie or anything but then after much persistance it paid off and we were kicking mecha-butt.

EDIT: How do you communicate with team members ...is voice chat automatic?

SoggyGravy fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 28, 2013

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Agean90 posted:

I am too, multiplayer is fun regardless. No matter how bad you are, theres always someone worse!

It is probably that 04 jerk. He is terrible.

Dire
Dec 31, 2007

SoggyGravy posted:

In a shock to no one I was on with a couple of goons (66 and 77) who did not seem to be interested in forming any sort of sortie or anything but then after much persistance it paid off and we were kicking mecha-butt.

I'm 66. Didn't have time to play at first, but we had a good run after that. :)

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

I'm probably going to be a debbie downer but I picked up ACV on 360 before and enjoyed it but there was no MP community to speak of in EU. I'm thinking of grabbing this on my Ps3 though, how much did they improve on ACV?

Parts are balanced better, tuning is now instant, weapon arms and shields are back, you can actually find other players in conquest mode.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
Is there no way to just boost up anymore? Can you only launch yourself up if you are jumping up a structure?

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Alright, just got in on the game. PS3, character name is Lady Fistmore, and I just joined Goonal Cortex.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

Parts are balanced better, tuning is now instant, weapon arms and shields are back, you can actually find other players in conquest mode.

Yeah, we fought against other people about half the time last night!

Lost like 9 times out of 10, but still!

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

TPS, Atlatl, and I got a bunch of fun battles in with other teams tonight. Sadly, we lost to 4chan because we had to hire a UNAC to be our fourth man. Still, we have visual evidence of Satan interceding on our behalf vs. the Ninebreakers:

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

hail satan

Driving the autocannon bus is super fun so I think I'll try to refine a good build for tank legs. Also I need to get a better mic so I can hear what's going on without pressing it into my ear.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
So what is the general strategy here with parts and story missions? I am horribly confused still....like what do shields do, are they automatically used if equipped?

Why can't I switch to a shoulder mount if I have an autocannon. Does anyone use weapons you have to ready? They seem pointless. Is there a webpage with general tips and such?

KongMu
May 8, 2005

War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.
I just joined the Goonal Cortex. I haven't really played an AC game since AC 4 though. Any general pointers on balanced mech building? Someone below mentioned KE weapons but are there any other good ideas for beginners?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Just joined GC as Marund. Had ACV on 360, but figured there'd be a bigger audience on the PS3.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

SoggyGravy posted:

So what is the general strategy here with parts and story missions? I am horribly confused still....like what do shields do, are they automatically used if equipped?

Why can't I switch to a shoulder mount if I have an autocannon. Does anyone use weapons you have to ready? They seem pointless. Is there a webpage with general tips and such?

Shields reduce incoming damage based on their defense ratings for each type of damage. I've never used one, so I don't know more than that. Experiment with it!

As for the other question, certain weapons have the words [ready-mode] next to their name in assembly. This means that they're big, powerful, and slow. You can't put a ready mode weapon in your shoulder bay, instead, you've gotta purge it when you're done with it (by holding down on the d-pad while firing it). Non-tanks have to take a knee and become stationary to use them. They're great on tanks, and situationally useful on tetrapods and heavy bipeds. Again, experiment with what's best for you.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Joined Goonal Cortex as Dromologist. I make terrible design choices.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I picked up a shared PSN copy of the game the other day. Only about a third of the way through story mode, and only played a few online matches. I somehow still won a couple times with my hodge-podge UNAC squad.

Despite being a one-man team with almost no experience, the Royal Vanguard is ranked 362nd globally. This must have sold under 5000 copies across all of Europe and America, huh? :(

Edit: The OP really needs a section on UNACs. They're one of the most notable features of Verdict Day.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 30, 2013

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
More people should get online and play world matches with us!

KongMu posted:

I just joined the Goonal Cortex. I haven't really played an AC game since AC 4 though. Any general pointers on balanced mech building? Someone below mentioned KE weapons but are there any other good ideas for beginners?

The easiest general way to think of things is like a rock paper scissors game, where you can only really have high defense against one thing. Most of the defense comes from the legs and then the core, so you can usually tell by sight what someone will be weak to.

Tanks and heavy bipeds are strong against TE, quads and reverse joints are strong against CE, and medium or light bipeds are strong against KE. If you want something balanced, bring weapons so you can cover one of each damage type. Medium bipeds are still the easiest to play, while I think quads are probably the hardest now. Tank legs are really good now because you can run dual autocannons and shred most people, but they're one of those deals that's easy to learn but hard to master.

The last boss drops one of each ultimate weapon so we'll usually farm him with dual autocannon tanks. (dual autocannons own)

Other than that, it's a lot harder to make a straight up bad AC with all the rebalancing that they did. Stick with your team and focus fire on someone they're shooting at and you'll be better than 50% of the people playing the game.

Dire
Dec 31, 2007

The ACVD-Link site is up.

If you create a Bandai-Namco online ID and then link that up with your PSN/XBL ID (and THEN visit Extra -> Data Authentication in-game), you can check out stuff like your AC's stats or the World Mode status on your browser. There's an online AC builder too, and apparently some way to transfer your designs back to your console. I haven't played around with it yet, but it seems nifty.

You can also transfer screenshots from your console, but the resolution is pretty poo poo:

TPSDude
Apr 7, 2011

Tank Goon
Here is a walkthrough for what Dire posted, you do not need to link you PSN/XBL account to the Bandai-Namco ID for it to work.

1.) Create a Bandai-Namco ID here https://www.bandainamcoid.com/
2.) After making the account, boot up ACVD and go into the Extra menu and select Data Authentication.
2a.) Now input your email/password you used for the Bandai-Namco account and you will get sucess screen hopefully.
3.) Now log in at the ACVS portal here http://link.armoredcoregame.com/p/acop/acvdlink/
3a.) Select your console platform, then enter your Bandai-Namco ID details

They also did a server reset for our cluster, territory Health pools look to be 1/3rd of what they were, all leader boards were reset, and we suddenly got three medals for our team being top 100.
Really disappointing our Link site isn't in the same vein as the Japanese one with the visual graphic of the world map.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I'm gonna get this for 360 tonight, I think.

Look forward to many of my failed attempts to imitate the Hustler One voice.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It is a crime against heaven and earth that I, a robot lover and From game lover, haven't yet liked an AC game enough to finish it. Same as 3, 4, and For Answer, 5 was a disaster for me for a million tiny reasons. I have a feeling if I try VD I will be equally disappointed.

Why couldn't they take what they learned about pure awesomeness from making Metal Wolf Chaos and apply it to their main series?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 1, 2013

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

There was a free slot, so I just joined Goonal Cortex. Still need to finish the campaign though. I notice achievements for 'Hardcore mode' - is it like in AC4, where there were a full second set of harder missions with more poo poo going wrong?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Dominic White posted:

There was a free slot, so I just joined Goonal Cortex. Still need to finish the campaign though. I notice achievements for 'Hardcore mode' - is it like in AC4, where there were a full second set of harder missions with more poo poo going wrong?

Not really. It mostly just jacks up the damage you take and the cost of ammo and repairs. Also, if you lose too many AC's you have to start it from the first mission.

I am not doing hardcore mode.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Aw, that's a pity. AC4's take on Hard mode was really inspired. It quickly devolved into Murphy's Law: The Game. If something could possibly go wrong, it did.

Edit: The campaign isn't huge, but it's longer than a lot of chatter in this thread makes it sound. There are 10 story missions, but each one has 5-6 side-missions attached to it, some of which are pretty tough and lengthy, especially once the crazy lost-technology robots start coming out to play.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 1, 2013

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
ACVD Link is pretty cool. Made it to C rank thanks to a bad French team. :toot:

Also:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Since our team is full now, I figured this should be a fair warning (this applies mostly to you OP)

Don't kick people. If it's anything like AC:V, kicking someone basically bans them from the group. We may have to rotate in and out sometimes.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Well the posting in this thread is going to get me to cave when I eventually get paid (gently caress you work) this month and pick up this game. Are we going to make a second clan?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Aaaargh, my wallet! What exactly dictates whether you get a factional stipend on mission earnings/costs? Because I just ran a Vs Defense sortie and ended up 150k Robux in the red due to them not paying anything for repairs and ammo.

Also, how do you command UNACs? The game makes reference to it repeatedly. Does it mean from the Operator UI? Even then, I can't quite figure it out. Do they listen to the text-commands given when you press right on the D-pad?

TPSDude
Apr 7, 2011

Tank Goon
While as a combative AC you go into scan and place a marker with L2 on a target, As an Operator you hold down L2 over a target and hit a a direction on the D-Pad to order Individual UNACs to attack he target. UNACS can't be told to target crates but will auto fire on them if in range so keep em away from crates if there is enemy ACs left on the field.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
Bought it for the 360, looking forward to late night robot bashing.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Hey guys, Verdict War poo poo is going down! Territory AP is way way lower (Venide has pretty much lost the Middle East, we're close to losing the Far East), EGF lost all of Mid-Continent to Venide, and there's a big ol' countown for ten hours from now. If you want to play online, tomorrow is the time.

A note on team membership:
Goon team is full, but there's a number of people whose usernames I haven't confirmed on SA. If you are one of the following people, make a post in the thread or else you might be removed to make way for newer members:
XxSSJSephirothxX
Renegade_Shadow
bryitis
Uninformed

Feel free to make a second PS3 team in the meantime.

E: Also, congrats to TPSDude for being ranked #7 and uplifting our team to #5. Wish I could have been on whenever you went on that streak.

Nanomashoes fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 3, 2013

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

TPSDude has acquired an anime emblem.

Our victory is assured!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
Odd, don't see anyone online and it seems like primeish-mecha time.

• Locked thread