Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.

burtonos posted:

I think about 25 people bought it for the 360 on the entire planet.

To be fair, they appear to have only printed five copies of the drat thing. They ran out on Amazon in about two seconds, I think? I ended up having to get it locally, and there was just one copy left at a local chain not many people end up going to, so

Between this, Live fees, MGS4, and various other things, it sure was a great decision not to invest in a PS3! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Guess I'll be picking up a copy as soon as I get my PS3's internet connection sorted out. Last AC I played was Silent Line, so I have really no idea what I'm getting into since things have changed so much.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
While I am thrilled that more than 20 people in the world are playing this, can the Playstation goons please go back to doing the thing where you leave the team before you turn off? I'm The Last Unicorn on ACVV. Fiddled around a couple days ago on coony cortex while only one other guy was on and wasn't talking, and it was full yesterday.

Matchmaking in general seems a lot more lively than ACV though, which is great. I hosed around as a Mercenary for a few hours - ended up getting drafted into team BLOOD WOLFS with another merc. They didn't have mics and kept drawing dicks on the pre-game map. Surprisingly, we had a winning streak for a bunch of vs-other-people maps in a row. The guy whose emblem was just the word 'WEED' was actually really good.

It seems like the easiest way to make an effective UNACS minion is to put its idiot robot brain into a tank chassis with big cannons. Played against a guy with three of those. We won, but one guy died and everyone else was pretty banged up.

I randomly won a set of missile-rack weapon arms not long before turning off for the night. They have 160 shots and appear to be devastating. Apparently you can still use l/r hand weapons with them, which is nice, so I'm going to bring my own target marker thingy.

Goon cortex people please leave the team when you're done.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

I've been using the missile weapon-arms a lot while S-ranking story missions. You need to purge other weapons before you can use them so what I do is grab a shield and rifle and do some damage until the shield's done, then purge the rifle and get started with the missiles. They can hit for a shitload of damage against targets with low CE armor but they're not that hard to dodge so they're crap against anything with CE, especially since if you're down to your missiles you'll have purged everything else that could hurt them.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
You do not need to purge anything. You just need to switch either weapon, and then you can switch back. Defaults to triangle+L/R 2. I've been doing it with missile arms / target marking gun. It takes a few seconds for the arm racks to un/fold, though.

Edit: Goonal cortex is still full at 20. Can some of you fine people please leave the team when you're done for a while, to make room?

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 13, 2013

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

:aaa: Well that changes everything.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I've got a gigantic horrible final coming up on Tuesday so I probably won't be on until after that.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

I've been using the missile weapon-arms a lot while S-ranking story missions. You need to purge other weapons before you can use them so what I do is grab a shield and rifle and do some damage until the shield's done, then purge the rifle and get started with the missiles. They can hit for a shitload of damage against targets with low CE armor but they're not that hard to dodge so they're crap against anything with CE, especially since if you're down to your missiles you'll have purged everything else that could hurt them.

I was trying these out the other day. Are they really better than the shoulder options given the seeming disadvantages of using them? I'm asking as a total noob because I basically have no idea what I'm doing.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
I'd say that if you use a double slot arm, that some of the missiles are comparable in pure output. Not sure if there are any with the same volume and vertical firing, though.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

Nickiepoo posted:

I was trying these out the other day. Are they really better than the shoulder options given the seeming disadvantages of using them? I'm asking as a total noob because I basically have no idea what I'm doing.

I just got the Medium Missile arms with 4 locks and gave them a try in a 4v4 sortie, they worked out great. I used them on a LRJ mech with the really high output/low capacity generator and was able to take out 3 of the 4 enemy ACs by poking out of cover just long enough to fire missiles and using the glide boost if anyone got close. They hit harder than any other type of missile I have and there's more than enough ammo to take out an entire squad of ACs. Definitely a fun option.

Did anyone try to beat the special weapons? I got picked up for a special sortie against one of them and it just destroyed us instantly. It had like 300k AP too.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

I just got the Medium Missile arms with 4 locks and gave them a try in a 4v4 sortie, they worked out great. I used them on a LRJ mech with the really high output/low capacity generator and was able to take out 3 of the 4 enemy ACs by poking out of cover just long enough to fire missiles and using the glide boost if anyone got close. They hit harder than any other type of missile I have and there's more than enough ammo to take out an entire squad of ACs. Definitely a fun option.

Yeah, those are the ones I've got. I'm going to have to give these things another try even if that means giving up my HE autocannon or whatever they call it (man I love that thing).

Need to get playing with some goons though, merc life gets old fast.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I got AC:V on 360 and was severely disappointed compared to the 4 storyline. I also didn't get LIVE until recently and didn't get to play online at all.

I'd buy this, but I guess everybody is on PS3? Sadness.

Here's hoping next-gen AC is even better (and here's holding out for a good remake of the old games, too).

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

I got AC:V on 360 and was severely disappointed compared to the 4 storyline. I also didn't get LIVE until recently and didn't get to play online at all.

I'd buy this, but I guess everybody is on PS3? Sadness.

Here's hoping next-gen AC is even better (and here's holding out for a good remake of the old games, too).

Yep, you can play online now but things haven't really changed, teams are still useless and we paid an update full price to be able to play with UNACS instead of not being able to play at all.

Also if you're on 360 good luck, I made the goon team and was still alone in it after 2 weeks so gave up on the game, at least if you can find a nerd this game sells for a good price since it's unfindable anywhere.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.

Lightning Knight posted:

I got AC:V on 360 and was severely disappointed compared to the 4 storyline.

If it helps, the storyline in this game is much more robust than the incoherent, minimalist setup of ACV. It's not quite like 4/4A (though there are touches of it there), but more along the lines of Last Raven. It even fills in quite a few gaps in the previous game which were left inferred or unstated, such as the nature of ACs as weapons retrieved from deep underground, remnants of a previous era. (In this game, not only are ACs now mass produced, they've been developing new parts to boot.) Some holes still haven't been filled, but I'm not that far through the game, nor have I fought for all the war factions yet (which unlocks profile info too!)

Meanwhile, I've been enjoying painting ACs in this game far more than I have in ages, which I can share with you (albeit at low res, THANKS BAMCOBAMA) despite being completely unable to get usable in-battle pics due to being a really poo poo wartime photographer:

yes, I did buy the cosmetic DLC for ACV, which does carry over to Verdict Day. Then again, given the number of times I've bought Dark Souls at this point, I'd give From all of my money, my children, and my liver if they would take it. Plus, who doesn't want a spaceship to stuff their ACs in?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sh4 posted:

Yep, you can play online now but things haven't really changed, teams are still useless and we paid an update full price to be able to play with UNACS instead of not being able to play at all.

Also if you're on 360 good luck, I made the goon team and was still alone in it after 2 weeks so gave up on the game, at least if you can find a nerd this game sells for a good price since it's unfindable anywhere.

Yeah, I fired it up a few weeks ago thinking I'd try online and just setting it up and figuring out how to do it was intimidating enough that I didn't bother.

Yeah, I read about how that went. It's really too bad. :(

FM posted:

If it helps, the storyline in this game is much more robust than the incoherent, minimalist setup of ACV. It's not quite like 4/4A (though there are touches of it there), but more along the lines of Last Raven. It even fills in quite a few gaps in the previous game which were left inferred or unstated, such as the nature of ACs as weapons retrieved from deep underground, remnants of a previous era. (In this game, not only are ACs now mass produced, they've been developing new parts to boot.) Some holes still haven't been filled, but I'm not that far through the game, nor have I fought for all the war factions yet (which unlocks profile info too!)

I honestly didn't feel like ACV was minimalist, I felt like half of it got lost in translation and localization. Not sure how I feel about ACs as lost technology, but I remember enjoying Last Raven even though I didn't play anything in between it and Silent Line and was kind of lost towards the end of its storyline. I honestly liked the story of AC4 the most, even though its ending got butchered by the translators.

Seems like From just needs hire actual translators/English writers and it would solve a lot of their plot issues. :(

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

Sorry to whoever I was just playing with, I picked the wrong AC and ended up not doing any damage to anything on that last story mission. :doh:

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
So apparently, in the hour-or-two-ish span between when one War ends (Sirus won) and the next one starts, everyone gets to go on as many free no-stakes Special Sortie Boss Fights as they want. And holy poo poo, some of those are hard. :stare:

The one in Africa is a re-mix of the Story Mode's "final boss," which is a NEXT, you know, like from Armored Core 4, what's twice as large as you, with an impenetrable radiation assault shield, and boosters that put your flailing scrap can to shame. If you can shoot him down while he's raining horrible missile death on all your asses from his VANGUARD OVERBOOST UNIT (you can't get a solid lock on him, he's too fast, you just have to spray fire along his path and hope) he lands and hi-boosts around with his giant-sized laser blade then kills each person on your team in one hit.

There's also a huge artillery/missile/laser fortress boss - you have to boost across a huge open field while everybody's trying to dodge big missiles and lasers, then climb up on it blasting turrets and MT's while suffering through a stupidly thick barrage of smaller missiles. The dudes I was with made some decent headway on that one, then ran out of time when the next 'season' started.

It seems like decent UNACs are surprisingly possible to make. Either give them a heavy tank and big guns (even a rock brain can't gently caress that up too bad) or make sure they have plenty of energy, efficient boosters, and slap that "hi-boost if lock time > 0.8 seconds" upper-tier evasion chip in so that they're too twitchy to be easy targets. UNACs are pretty great at aiming no-lock weaponry like shoulder-mounted Rockets. I tried a tank UNAC with sniper cannons, and he could hit with them often enough to be useful. UNACs cannot identify what type of weapon their opponent is using, or do clever things like intentionally use cover, or avoid the guy with two laser blades.

On another note - are any goons still playing this on PS3? If so, please either leave the team when you're done for a while, or kick out somebody who's idle, because I have not been able to join the goony cortex.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 21, 2013

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Pokeymans has got me by the curlies, so I guess you can boot me if you want.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is this game fun? I used to play the poo poo out of AC2 back in like, 2001 or something. I beat all 150 bad guys and all the missions. I would have to get this for xbox if that makes a difference.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

A MIRACLE posted:

Is this game fun? I used to play the poo poo out of AC2 back in like, 2001 or something. I beat all 150 bad guys and all the missions. I would have to get this for xbox if that makes a difference.

Not for full price then, probably. If you're just looking for single player (functionally no multiplayer on Xbox anyway), you'll be disappointed compared to the old school stuff like AC2, if its anything like AC5 was. Wait for a price drop, I'd say.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

Buy AC5 for cheap and make yourself an opinion, Verdict day is like AC5 with a 3.99 DLC sold for full price. No difference whatsoever between the 2 games except some added parts and the AI companion feature (which is terrible).

They are so similar that the 4 or 5 times I played Verdict Day, I thought I put classic AC5 in my console by mistake.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

Fans generally agree that 4 Answer is the best "modern" Armored Core game. If you buy Verdict Day, it's for the multiplayer, and from what I've heard nobody plays on the 360 version.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sh4 posted:

Buy AC5 for cheap and make yourself an opinion, Verdict day is like AC5 with a 3.99 DLC sold for full price. No difference whatsoever between the 2 games except some added parts and the AI companion feature (which is terrible).

They are so similar that the 4 or 5 times I played Verdict Day, I thought I put classic AC5 in my console by mistake.
Seconding the "For Answer is pretty Cool". Though I didn't obsessively double S rank it like I did Vanilla 4, Answer was a cooler game in general and had some things I loved that were missing from Vanilla 4, like shoulder mounted chainguns.

I used a light reverse leg with a tiny radar on one shoulder, machine gun arms, and a chaingun on the other shoulder so I could just hold down both fire buttons for ALL OF THE BULLETS whenever it was even slightly possible to beat a mission that way. Practicality was a secondary concern for Mr. Bullets.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I jumped on this after noticing that the game was available on PSN and so would get me 10$ back from the promo.

1) The goon group is full :(
2) Any tips on how to get the ball rolling? The starting parts seem pretty poo poo, my shop has nothing of worth, and there's a whole lot of ways to play. Story first?

Dire
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah, I'd recommend going through the story missions first.

I just left the main group since there's nobody on when I'm playing anyways, so there should be an extra slot open.

Also started Goons' Ark, password lljk. For the people who aren't playing anymore: please at least change teams to that so new people get a chance to play in the primary team.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I'll check again, cheers.

Any tips on re-configuring the controls? Seems pretty stupid to keep high boost on Square when that means losing access to the right stick.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

Any tips on re-configuring the controls? Seems pretty stupid to keep high boost on Square when that means losing access to the right stick.

Yeah but the control config UI is so atrocious that you will regret thinking about it

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Just got this on 360 through Games on Demand - is any of the DLC stuff worth it? Any 360 goons playing online?

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Mango Polo posted:

I switched my shooty buttons from L2/R2 to L1/R1 because I find that more comfortable, and I have L2 as high boost. I put Scan Mode onto one of the d-pad buttons to stop myself from accidentally shutting off my weapons while I'm trying to aim at someone. and de/activate Regular Boosters on another d-pad button. The only reason you will ever want to turn your boosters off is to land quickly from a hovering state, and you'll want them back on again a quarter of a second later.

Protip for successfully using laser blades - the most important stat on them is Lock-on time. It's the difference between flailing into empty space and getting a OHKO while the guy on the other side says that was loving bullshit. Blades do quite a lot of homing-in, more than it looks like they would, but they need to be fully locked on first. Also helps to have a wide-angle FCS with the biggest lock zone. Otherwise, you need to have a telegraphed approach and stay on target so long that you'll likely only ever hit a stationary sniper/tank who hasn't noticed you. Activating two blades at once seems to do quite a bit more than just twice as much damage, but I don't have the math for it.

It's okay to take a generator that sacrifices energy output for much greater capacity - you might need to do a few quick boosts to get close, and you don't want to get up in somebody's face without enough juice left in the tank to light both beam thingies up.

Do not approach a tank from the front.

Reive
May 21, 2009

So how did V-Day turn out?
Is it still heavily online focused or can you still enjoy it single player?
I really like the gameplay of 5, but I'm finding it difficult to obtain new parts/weapons on my own, which is a turn off, and I don't have XBL anymore.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Reive posted:

I really like the gameplay of 5, but I'm finding it difficult to obtain new parts/weapons on my own, which is a turn off, and I don't have XBL anymore.

Too online focused and single player is really loving hard. I spend more money on videogames than I should and I love armored core (one of my top five franchises) but I cannot recommend v or verdict day to anyone. Not even to the japanese fans. What single player content there is, I barely enjoyed it, and you'll likely run into a wall faster than most ac games.

Also I'm one of those people who think the game play of 4/4a was better than v/vd. Here's hoping that from software can do a better job on ps4 and come up with something that works.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

I just hope that someday From stops trying to make Ace Combat With Legs. The 4 series was cool and all but holy gently caress why even put legs on these things when you spend the entire god drat fight flying at super speed.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I love VD. Being able to use UNACs has made it possible to play the game online without friends, which is important because no one ever plays AC games. I love how much fun it is when you find a team that matches your skill level and it requires more thought than in 4 and 4a. You can still go fast if you would like, but now using the terrain for cover is more important, and choosing between armor and speed is now actually relevant.

Is there any goons who still play VD?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Reive posted:

The multiplayer was fun but nobody bought it and it died, singleplayer had interesting ideas but poor execution.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Nanomashoes posted:

The multiplayer was fun but nobody bought it and it died, singleplayer had interesting ideas but poor execution.

That's about right. I wish people did buy AC.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I ran through most of the single player content a few weeks ago and keep trying to bully myself into finishing it/checking out the online stuff, but I assume it's entirely dead at this point and the final boss has persuaded me that I suck a lot more than I did in the AC2 era.

I still thought the single player portion was good enough to be worth it, but I have a pretty clear AC-shaped hole in my brain.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

BlueDestiny posted:

I just hope that someday From stops trying to make Ace Combat With Legs. The 4 series was cool and all but holy gently caress why even put legs on these things when you spend the entire god drat fight flying at super speed.

I picked up Verdict Day a few days ago after not playing V and it seems like the From are moving away from the constant flying around in the 4 series.

Reive
May 21, 2009

So I want to go back to a PS2 era AC game, but I can't decide which one to play, definitely don't have the time to play more than one, I've been looking at the wiki and the gameplay changes for each entry seems so different.

I LOVED AC2 back in the day, but the lack of analog seems like it wouldn't be fun to go back to.

Another Age doesn't sound like my cup of tea, sounds like too much content (I wish we could complain about that in today's games!), plus I don't think it has analog either.

I liked AC3 as well but I remember it getting really difficult really fast? Was that an actual issue or was that just me sucking at games back then?

The changes for Silent Line sound too tedious.

Nexus sounds good but I'd like to hear some opinions on it.

Ninebreaker sounds like it'd be fun if I like arena fighting, which I do, I'll probably get around to playing it in between other games just for pure combat.

I played Last Raven and I remember the parts damage system being an absolute nightmare, I'm not sure I'd want to go back to it.

What are your thoughts? What should I play...

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I would advocate Nexus, but I don't remember it well enough to be specific about why. It's just the one from that list with the most positive non-specific memory associations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010
I joined Goons' Ark as Quiet Life. Not really sure how any of the online stuff works since the servers have been offline since I bought it up until now :ohdear:

• Locked thread