Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Should I assume that buying this now would be a huge waste of time/money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Lexorin posted:

Should I assume that buying this now would be a huge waste of time/money?

Even buying it at launch was a big waste

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So this is 5 bucks on the psn right now. It's there any goons still playing?

Is any of the dlc worth grabbing?

Reive
May 21, 2009

Moochewmoo posted:

So this is 5 bucks on the psn right now. It's there any goons still playing?

Is any of the dlc worth grabbing?

I'm playing... 360. :v:
But that's a steal, I got it a week ago for $15 and feel justified, it's better than V by a mile, and if you don't find anyone to play with the single player is actually pretty enjoyable.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
So i loved the Earlier series AC games and hated AC4 from playing the demo due to the drastic change in how the mechs handled, way too quickly IIRC. Does this or 5 go back to the older AC's at all in styling? Or should I maybe give 4 and 4A another shot. To put it it in perspective my favorites thus far have been Another Age, and Silent Line. 5 and V-Day's focus seem to be mostly multiplayer?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Thinking about picking up V-Day, and possibly V (if goons think its any good). I'm not much of a competitive player in general so lack of online stuff doesn't really phase me.

What's the general verdict on balance for V-day? Like, are Tank ACs close to being the sitting ducks they are in 4A, or are most builds viable?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Ashsaber posted:

Thinking about picking up V-Day, and possibly V (if goons think its any good). I'm not much of a competitive player in general so lack of online stuff doesn't really phase me.

What's the general verdict on balance for V-day? Like, are Tank ACs close to being the sitting ducks they are in 4A, or are most builds viable?

all builds are viable, and tanks are actually quite useful. V-day is awesome.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Well, just bought the game, joined a random pubbie team so I could start out and played the first couple story missions to get a handle on the game. Any suggested weapon types, especially in TE damage? I don't really want to put all my eggs in one basket, so to speak, since resistances are kinda ridiculous here, I found out the hard way.

Honestly I think I'm going to go for an extreme, either light for mobility and possibly heat pile assasinations or heavvy/tank for maximum Gattling gun fun.

E: the way ACs ragdoll when defeated while moving is kinda hillarious. Grinding the second AC battle for cash is made better by watching the guy just roll like crazy whenever I shoot him down.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 8, 2014

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I apologise for the double post, but I'm hoping that someone will be willing to give me advice for this game.

Since my last post I've gotten a bit better at this game. I'm running a light mech with some combination of Battle Rifle/He Machine guns/Pulse Machin Guns/Gattling Guns, and potentially Shotguns once I try em out. I'm kind of annoyed by the game gating off pretty much all the parts behind rank, because I'm not great at games, but I'm doing better than before.

Are there any things goons have found that are really drat usefull but barely explained in game? So far I've found out that battle reports can be used to expand UNAC memory without spending a billion Au (I didn't know there was an option at first because the Pubbie team I joined hadn't selected a faction), and that the best way to make Mad Dosh is to destroy those containers on normal sorties then stand over them to gain the contents. Since I found those out I've made a much better UNAC that seems to do well vs AI and started rolling in cash and new parts I shouldn't have yet, like fast tank legs and AS missile arms.

Any opinion on the AS missile arms? I kind of want touse them, either on myself or on my UNAC (though I'ld have to figure out how to set up the operations if its the latter), but right now I'ld have to move to rejig most of my build to fit em on my AC.

Also, any tips for using UNACs? My current one is quite zippy, though it could use more tuning to make it just bug out all the time, but people have been pointing out that a Tank UNAC with Sniper cannons is a good idea. Anything beyond that though?

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie
I don't know if I can respond to all of that but I can give you my recollection. It's been maybe a year since I played and I was only so-so then, so parts and poo poo could've seen a lot of tuning since then.

One thing that's almost certain to still be true is that UNACs are incredible with all those dumb-fire, no-aiming weapons that are hard for players to master. Howitzers, rockets, those kind of things. A lot of them can dish out huge damage very rapidly if you can hit with them, and UNACs are very good at hitting with them. My preferred UNAC was a high defense/mobility tetrapod with the high-ammo CE shoulder rockets. Those things had an insane firing rate and could rip players to shreds at close range if they weren't expecting it, and a lot of 2 human vs. me/my UNAC turned lopsided really quickly even though I was awful at programming the thing's behavior. It helps to tell a non-tank UNAC to try and fire these from above, since that way they'll be shooting towards the ground, raising the chance that you'll get some splash damage on indirect hits, or maybe at least filling the other player's screen with explosions.

Edit: I forgot you said "zippy." A spasticly boosting, bullet-dodging UNAC was definitely viable, and lots easier to build since you didn't actually need to know what you were doing. Tanks were for people who understood all that stuff.

Don't put TE weapons on a UNAC unless you want its energy management to become a huge headache.

They may have balanced it a bit, but I remember gatling guns being crap in PvP (good for story missions though). Autocannon tanks were viable, but most PvP builds made a point of padding KE defense high enough to nullify gatling guns. Shotguns had a similar problem.

There's no shame in rolling with something boring like dual rifles/battle rifles. 2 rifles and a BR (or 2 BRs and a rifle) can be a really well-rounded load-out for either a mobile or high defense AC.

Iirc, the biggest problem with the AS missile arms is that one AC with a CWIS means you're useless. I do remember using it to S rank a few of the story missions but that's about it. Maybe once or twice a teammate was able to catch the other team off-guard with them.

Almost everything in the game is poorly explained. Kind of a hallmark of Armored Core by now. Make sure you take advantage of the information in the assembly screens to know what each stat does. Some of them can have secondary effects that aren't immediately apparent.

What platform are you playing on? When I quit, the 360 community was thin as hell.

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 6, 2014

Refused
Sep 6, 2005
Some general advice-

Scan enemy ACs, always. Damage typing is hugely important in AC duels. Any time I had difficulty with a mission adjusting my AC to better deal with damage types got me past it.

The typical all-purpose weapon loadout I used was Battle Rifle/Gatling/HE Machine Gun/Laser blade. When you come up against tank ACs later on, throw on dual pile drivers and one/two shot those assholes. Energy weapons other than laser blades are tough to use, I found the pulse gun shotgun things to be the most useful when I had to go with them. For large, predictable enemies like the unmanned robot things you will come up against, rockets are amazing. Shields are actually really good, too. They can make you nearly invulnerable if an enemy relies on a single damage type heavily (like, say, the final boss. I don't remember missiles being very good in this game compared to the rest of the series, you can't really put out the same volume of fire and CWIS shuts you down completely, as mentioned. All the standstill cannon type weapons I also found to be pretty terrible in the little time I tried to use them.

The best cash grinding mission I can think of comes fairly late in the story, you'll fight a single AC that literally sits completely still in a little crater. You can run up and blow him away really quickly.

Can't say much about UNACs, I never really programmed one, just used the preset rentals. The tank and the sniper presets are both useful for drawing attention, but I usually did most of the work on my own.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Well, having beaten the story about 24 hours ago now I think I'v got the basics down pretty good. Unfortunately Matchmaking seems to have something against me, as me, my decent-good UNAC and two rental UNACs are regularly pit against rank SSS teams, several times in a row. Thats just lovely when I'm just trying to make a buck and build team points for a special sortei. I think I've won maybe 4 matches vs player ACs in the like 40 I've played now.

At least I hit player rank A so I have the full shop availible.

Also, playing on PS3, for what its worth.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Ashsaber posted:

Well, having beaten the story about 24 hours ago now I think I'v got the basics down pretty good. Unfortunately Matchmaking seems to have something against me, as me, my decent-good UNAC and two rental UNACs are regularly pit against rank SSS teams, several times in a row. Thats just lovely when I'm just trying to make a buck and build team points for a special sortei. I think I've won maybe 4 matches vs player ACs in the like 40 I've played now.

At least I hit player rank A so I have the full shop availible.

Also, playing on PS3, for what its worth.
Yeah unless you really know what you're doing a full player team is going to wipe the floor with any team with more than 2 UNACs, especially the default models. Those things are useless unless they're fighting another AI. An empty slot was literally better since the matchmaker (at least on xbox) favored similar-sized teams. Have you tried going with just you and one custom UNAC? A 2-player team is manageable with an AI partner.

There's also the mercenary pool. Usually better than a rental UNAC.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

AtraMorS posted:

Yeah unless you really know what you're doing a full player team is going to wipe the floor with any team with more than 2 UNACs, especially the default models. Those things are useless unless they're fighting another AI. An empty slot was literally better since the matchmaker (at least on xbox) favored similar-sized teams. Have you tried going with just you and one custom UNAC? A 2-player team is manageable with an AI partner.

There's also the mercenary pool. Usually better than a rental UNAC.

Well, thats good to know. I'll try just me + my UNAC in the future and see if that influences results any.

And as for the merc pool? I've successfully gotten a merc to work with me once, in the story sorties, for mission 3-2 because my AC and UNAC weren't good at that point, and things hadn't 'clicked' with me yet. Today I tried hiring mercs a couple times, the first immediately bailed on me, and the second time I hired two to help me with a special sortie but there was a connection error or something and my attempt was lost before it could start. Hell, I even volunteered to be a merc, but was kicked the instant I was hired. Basically every other time I try to hire a merc theres none availible.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
well I started playing this with a buddy so I guess we should be good. we made our own team, though I don't think the ps3 goon team here is all that active anyway :shrug:

BoredMarc
Jun 14, 2010
DUMB AS SHIT
Just started this game and enlisted in goonal cortex. Anyone still play this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saintv77
Aug 5, 2008

BoredMarc posted:

DUMB AS poo poo

Yep. Shoe fits.

• Locked thread