Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I joined the PS3 team (PSN: Uninformed).

Could someone give me some real basic tips on tactics and what parts to buy first, stuff like that? I haven't played any Armored Core games before, and as a testament to my lack of skill, I barely made it through the second story mission with 170 health points (?) left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

Your leg parts are gonna be the biggest factor on how your AC plays, so decide on the legs first. Bipeds have the fastest horizontal movement speeds, making them good for close combat ACs, reverse joints jump higher, making them better at long range combat (bonus vertical distance between you and the enemy can help you keep him in your range while keeping out of his). Tetrapods get accuracy bonuses when using big guns, making them stationary ultra-long range snipers, and tanks are slow and can't jump for poo poo, but they can use two big guns at the same time while moving, giving them absolutely immense firepower (2-3 shotting unlucky small ACs). Once you have your legs, pick appropriate guns. Heavy bipeds and tetrapods usually want one ready-mode weapon (the big ones), and Tanks want two. Other than that just pick guns that sound like they work well with your AC, and generally try to have two damage types. Don't be afraid to only slot two or three guns, weapons you have in your bays can't be fired. Grab your generator third. You pretty much always want a high output unless you're using TE weaponry, in which case get a balanced for 1 TE weapon and a high capacity for 2. After that, buy the core parts that have the best stats for what you want to do while keeping below weight and energy limits. You can hit triangle to bring up more stats on each part, and select to see a description of the stats. Never exceed your weight or energy limits until you really know what you're doing.

Okay, cheers! I'm guessing that more part-types are unlocked as I progress, since so far I only have biped and reverse-joint legs available, for example. My starter AC is literally a bunch of junk parts.

• Locked thread