Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
While I am thrilled that more than 20 people in the world are playing this, can the Playstation goons please go back to doing the thing where you leave the team before you turn off? I'm The Last Unicorn on ACVV. Fiddled around a couple days ago on coony cortex while only one other guy was on and wasn't talking, and it was full yesterday.

Matchmaking in general seems a lot more lively than ACV though, which is great. I hosed around as a Mercenary for a few hours - ended up getting drafted into team BLOOD WOLFS with another merc. They didn't have mics and kept drawing dicks on the pre-game map. Surprisingly, we had a winning streak for a bunch of vs-other-people maps in a row. The guy whose emblem was just the word 'WEED' was actually really good.

It seems like the easiest way to make an effective UNACS minion is to put its idiot robot brain into a tank chassis with big cannons. Played against a guy with three of those. We won, but one guy died and everyone else was pretty banged up.

I randomly won a set of missile-rack weapon arms not long before turning off for the night. They have 160 shots and appear to be devastating. Apparently you can still use l/r hand weapons with them, which is nice, so I'm going to bring my own target marker thingy.

Goon cortex people please leave the team when you're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
You do not need to purge anything. You just need to switch either weapon, and then you can switch back. Defaults to triangle+L/R 2. I've been doing it with missile arms / target marking gun. It takes a few seconds for the arm racks to un/fold, though.

Edit: Goonal cortex is still full at 20. Can some of you fine people please leave the team when you're done for a while, to make room?

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 13, 2013

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
So apparently, in the hour-or-two-ish span between when one War ends (Sirus won) and the next one starts, everyone gets to go on as many free no-stakes Special Sortie Boss Fights as they want. And holy poo poo, some of those are hard. :stare:

The one in Africa is a re-mix of the Story Mode's "final boss," which is a NEXT, you know, like from Armored Core 4, what's twice as large as you, with an impenetrable radiation assault shield, and boosters that put your flailing scrap can to shame. If you can shoot him down while he's raining horrible missile death on all your asses from his VANGUARD OVERBOOST UNIT (you can't get a solid lock on him, he's too fast, you just have to spray fire along his path and hope) he lands and hi-boosts around with his giant-sized laser blade then kills each person on your team in one hit.

There's also a huge artillery/missile/laser fortress boss - you have to boost across a huge open field while everybody's trying to dodge big missiles and lasers, then climb up on it blasting turrets and MT's while suffering through a stupidly thick barrage of smaller missiles. The dudes I was with made some decent headway on that one, then ran out of time when the next 'season' started.

It seems like decent UNACs are surprisingly possible to make. Either give them a heavy tank and big guns (even a rock brain can't gently caress that up too bad) or make sure they have plenty of energy, efficient boosters, and slap that "hi-boost if lock time > 0.8 seconds" upper-tier evasion chip in so that they're too twitchy to be easy targets. UNACs are pretty great at aiming no-lock weaponry like shoulder-mounted Rockets. I tried a tank UNAC with sniper cannons, and he could hit with them often enough to be useful. UNACs cannot identify what type of weapon their opponent is using, or do clever things like intentionally use cover, or avoid the guy with two laser blades.

On another note - are any goons still playing this on PS3? If so, please either leave the team when you're done for a while, or kick out somebody who's idle, because I have not been able to join the goony cortex.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 21, 2013

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Mango Polo posted:

I'll check again, cheers.

Any tips on re-configuring the controls? Seems pretty stupid to keep high boost on Square when that means losing access to the right stick.

I switched my shooty buttons from L2/R2 to L1/R1 because I find that more comfortable, and I have L2 as high boost. I put Scan Mode onto one of the d-pad buttons to stop myself from accidentally shutting off my weapons while I'm trying to aim at someone. and de/activate Regular Boosters on another d-pad button. The only reason you will ever want to turn your boosters off is to land quickly from a hovering state, and you'll want them back on again a quarter of a second later.

Protip for successfully using laser blades - the most important stat on them is Lock-on time. It's the difference between flailing into empty space and getting a OHKO while the guy on the other side says that was loving bullshit. Blades do quite a lot of homing-in, more than it looks like they would, but they need to be fully locked on first. Also helps to have a wide-angle FCS with the biggest lock zone. Otherwise, you need to have a telegraphed approach and stay on target so long that you'll likely only ever hit a stationary sniper/tank who hasn't noticed you. Activating two blades at once seems to do quite a bit more than just twice as much damage, but I don't have the math for it.

It's okay to take a generator that sacrifices energy output for much greater capacity - you might need to do a few quick boosts to get close, and you don't want to get up in somebody's face without enough juice left in the tank to light both beam thingies up.

Do not approach a tank from the front.

• Locked thread