Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie
I don't know if I can respond to all of that but I can give you my recollection. It's been maybe a year since I played and I was only so-so then, so parts and poo poo could've seen a lot of tuning since then.

One thing that's almost certain to still be true is that UNACs are incredible with all those dumb-fire, no-aiming weapons that are hard for players to master. Howitzers, rockets, those kind of things. A lot of them can dish out huge damage very rapidly if you can hit with them, and UNACs are very good at hitting with them. My preferred UNAC was a high defense/mobility tetrapod with the high-ammo CE shoulder rockets. Those things had an insane firing rate and could rip players to shreds at close range if they weren't expecting it, and a lot of 2 human vs. me/my UNAC turned lopsided really quickly even though I was awful at programming the thing's behavior. It helps to tell a non-tank UNAC to try and fire these from above, since that way they'll be shooting towards the ground, raising the chance that you'll get some splash damage on indirect hits, or maybe at least filling the other player's screen with explosions.

Edit: I forgot you said "zippy." A spasticly boosting, bullet-dodging UNAC was definitely viable, and lots easier to build since you didn't actually need to know what you were doing. Tanks were for people who understood all that stuff.

Don't put TE weapons on a UNAC unless you want its energy management to become a huge headache.

They may have balanced it a bit, but I remember gatling guns being crap in PvP (good for story missions though). Autocannon tanks were viable, but most PvP builds made a point of padding KE defense high enough to nullify gatling guns. Shotguns had a similar problem.

There's no shame in rolling with something boring like dual rifles/battle rifles. 2 rifles and a BR (or 2 BRs and a rifle) can be a really well-rounded load-out for either a mobile or high defense AC.

Iirc, the biggest problem with the AS missile arms is that one AC with a CWIS means you're useless. I do remember using it to S rank a few of the story missions but that's about it. Maybe once or twice a teammate was able to catch the other team off-guard with them.

Almost everything in the game is poorly explained. Kind of a hallmark of Armored Core by now. Make sure you take advantage of the information in the assembly screens to know what each stat does. Some of them can have secondary effects that aren't immediately apparent.

What platform are you playing on? When I quit, the 360 community was thin as hell.

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Ashsaber posted:

Well, having beaten the story about 24 hours ago now I think I'v got the basics down pretty good. Unfortunately Matchmaking seems to have something against me, as me, my decent-good UNAC and two rental UNACs are regularly pit against rank SSS teams, several times in a row. Thats just lovely when I'm just trying to make a buck and build team points for a special sortei. I think I've won maybe 4 matches vs player ACs in the like 40 I've played now.

At least I hit player rank A so I have the full shop availible.

Also, playing on PS3, for what its worth.
Yeah unless you really know what you're doing a full player team is going to wipe the floor with any team with more than 2 UNACs, especially the default models. Those things are useless unless they're fighting another AI. An empty slot was literally better since the matchmaker (at least on xbox) favored similar-sized teams. Have you tried going with just you and one custom UNAC? A 2-player team is manageable with an AI partner.

There's also the mercenary pool. Usually better than a rental UNAC.

• Locked thread