Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Tongues posted:

This handsome devil, Matt Spiranovic, just signed for the Wanderers. He's a local to me, and used to play for a local powerhouse side. I love hearing about the people coming up through the local leagues and I hope he does well

This photo doesn't do his stupid hair any justice imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Ewar Woowar posted:

Hernandez has come in which is the type of player we've been crying out for ages. We still have Durante, Muscat, Brockie and Ifill. I've always felt we needed better fullbacks (Muscat is infinitely better utilised in the midfield) but I'm not sure if that's really been addressed yet.
I love a bit of Paul Ifill, OP, also I find it hilarious that Wellington also have an unrelated Muscat and a completely unrelated Kenny Cunningham, what a team IMO.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

dj_pain posted:

I agree, Plus I still have your scarf.

Aye.. Christmas, I've moved overseas unfortunately :(

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
In unfortunate news, SBS are reporting Glory have released Ljubo Milicevic. Total quota of bizarre in the league has halved overnight.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Ljubo never ceases to be a twat does he.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Enjoyed that code show, I liked the bit where the Mariners won. Made a refreshing change.

For those breezing through, If you'd like a quick primer onto the quality of the A-League, may I suggest the fine Mr JayFC's work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUIpMv3lq6c

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
SBS's broadcast schedules is here:

http://media.sbs.com.au/theworldgame/upload_media/site_242_rand_1732935497_sbs_broadcast_schedule.pdf

code:
Roar - 9 games
United - 8 Games
Heart - 7 Games
Victory - 6 Games
Sydney FC - 6 games
Jets - 5 games
Mariners - 4 Games
Wanderers - 4 Games
Phoenix 3 Games
Glory - 2 games
No surprises that there are no rivalry games, aside from Victory / United I guess. Obviously Perth and Phoenix are under represented due to the fact they're not going to be broadcasting home games.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Only two Mariners home games, one is Victory which may cost a few bums on seats, and the other is Welly which attracts precisely zero walkups so nobody will notice.

Pretty happy with that actually.

Mellow
Oct 9, 2009
So glad Ljubo got dropped. Don't like him at all.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

MiniSune posted:

Enjoyed that code show, I liked the bit where the Mariners won. Made a refreshing change.

For those breezing through, If you'd like a quick primer onto the quality of the A-League, may I suggest the fine Mr JayFC's work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUIpMv3lq6c

I think this represents the a-league more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZH0RMvfn8s

also i'm going to miss trent's gents :smith:

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

dj_pain posted:

I think this represents the a-league more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZH0RMvfn8s

also i'm going to miss trent's gents :smith:

Alright, I concede. I still can't believe you bought him after we saw with our own eyes how unspecial he was.

Also, for those without Fox / travelling around / don't have a TV and want to at least listen to the game without resorting to a community radio station broadcasting on a 30w lightbulb for a transmitter, your tax dollars have come to the rescue:

quote:

Every Hyundai A-League match live on ABC Radio

Great news for football fans across Australia today as it was announced that every Hyundai A-League match in the 2013/14 Season will have live coverage on ABC Radio platforms.

Under the historic four-year agreement, all 127 Regular Season matches and five Finals Series matches this season will have start-to-finish, uninterrupted live commentary.

FFA CEO David Gallop hailed the new agreement as another sign of football's breakthrough into the mainstream of Australian society.

"Live sports on ABC Radio have long been a staple of Australian life and I'm delighted that hundreds of hours of A-League action will be on the radio this season," said Gallop.

"The national radio broadcaster adds significantly to our reach at a time when audiences for the A-League are booming and there's a massive surge in interest in football.

"The ABC is a great supporter of the game, including the live TV coverage of the Westfield W-League, and I know the new partnership will be a major boost to our growth story."

ABC Radio has broadcast Socceroos FIFA World Cup qualifiers and major internationals over the past 30 years and coverage of the Hyundai A-League has grown steadily since the league's inception in 2005.

"The ABC looks forward to taking our partnership with the FFA to a whole new level," said Kate Dundas, Director ABC Radio.

"Under a new four year agreement we have committed to call each game of A-League football live via the ABC Radio mobile App and online streaming via the Grandstand website.

"After such a stellar 2012 season, we're confident this significant investment will help grow the A-League and deliver a great game to new audiences across the country."

ABC Radio will also broadcast matches on ABC Local Radio and on Grandstand Digital Radio.

The opening round of the 2013/14 Hyundai A-League Season will be covered as follows;

11-Oct | 19:30 | Sydney FC v Newcastle Jets - Allianz Stadium - 702 ABC Sydney/ 1233 ABC Newcastle
12-Oct | 17:30 | Central Coast v Western Sydney Wanderers - ABC Central Coast 92.5/702 ABC Sydney
12-Oct | 19:30 | Melbourne Victory v Melbourne Heart - 774 ABC Melbourne
13-Oct | 17:00 | Wellington Phoenix v Brisbane Roar - NZ/612 ABC Brisbane
13-Oct | 16:30 | Adelaide United v Perth Glory - 720 ABC Perth /891 ABC Adelaide

All times are local

Season 9 of the Hyundai A-League kicks off this Friday night when Sydney FC plays Newcastle Jets at Allianz Stadium, Sydney.

For internode / iinet and associated company subscribers, pretty well much all ABC stations can be listened to quota free in the freezone.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!

Ewar Woowar posted:

We still have Ifill

In the sense that he's still contracted to the club or in the sense that he will play games and not be a crock

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MiniSune posted:

Alright, I concede. I still can't believe you bought him after we saw with our own eyes how unspecial he was.

Also, for those without Fox / travelling around / don't have a TV and want to at least listen to the game without resorting to a community radio station broadcasting on a 30w lightbulb for a transmitter, your tax dollars have come to the rescue:

For internode / iinet and associated company subscribers, pretty well much all ABC stations can be listened to quota free in the freezone.

Legitimately pleased with this. I remember back in the day you had to hope your team was playing one of the teams that had their games broadcast on FM radio that was then streamed online.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

LordPants posted:

Legitimately pleased with this. I remember back in the day you had to hope your team was playing one of the teams that had their games broadcast on FM radio that was then streamed online.

I hope that Roy and HG revive the festival of the boot for the A League final.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

MiniSune posted:

His signing explains our recruitment policy in the 12/13 season.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
has anyone posted those a-league blooper videos people do every year

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Your Weird Uncle posted:

has anyone posted those a-league blooper videos people do every year

No, please do

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUIpMv3lq6c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylf2YS1Qk84

this is the only thing i knew about the a-league outside of "where emil heskey went" and "where our left wing was acquired from"

edit: the second one has crucial hawaii five-o theme music

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Amazing.

Guardian has done some :effort: videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRAo2uApLX8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iras7NTXi1g

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 9, 2013

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
First game of the season in 22 minutes, who's keen?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I'm already watching it on SBS, and I'm just as excited about A-League being on free-to-air as I am about Sydney getting bummed.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Go Jest

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Hell yes let's do this Sydney and our mostly empty stadium

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
SBS and Fox sharing commentry. Interesting.

Del Piero looks fit.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Sydney look more in control but Jets look more dangerous I think.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Warren doing a good McClanahan impersonation.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Great pass, too slow though.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
It has taken a bit to get going, but football quality is slowly improving.

Still rusty though.

Edit: like that goal. Scrappy as with hilarious falling over

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 11, 2013

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My TeeVee's broke - Newcastle players are appearing in some horrid mint green strip.

Newcastle Janitors more like it.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
They should have done this years ago.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
HEY GUYS

FOOTBALL

GUYS

FOOTBALL

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Piss poor Jets defence right there

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Second assist by caravella.

You dont win things with Caravella.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I honestly didn't realize Carle was playing in this game. :psyduck:

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Newcastle fans being quality.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Fair dinkum.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Jest are godawful

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
Has there ever been a successful soccer team that wears all green? I'm sure there's heaps but my brain is lovely at the moment.

Pretty exciting to be able to watch on SBS though!

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

I nominate Caravella for Sydney's man of the match.

Newcastle were dire, they desperately need the Heskey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Jest disappointing. Not a good start! Maybe next week.

• Locked thread