Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I've been rewatching past seasons as I work. I forgot how much of these episodes I know, but also how drat funny they are. However after some of the debate over the last year about the politics, it's tough to ignore when you think about it. I usually brush off all the middle ground crap, but there's one episode where it really bugged me.

Cartman's Silly Hate Crime 2000

Matt and Tre's argument from the boys is that all crime is hate crime, and it really pisses me off. This is an episode that airs only two years after Matthew Shepard is killed in a way that was cruel and specific due to him being gay, and the same amount of time since James Byrd Jr was dragged to death behind a truck for being black.

I know I'm supposed to ignore it and enjoy the show, and it's funny how many other episodes I've let slide. This one really pissed me off though. I think it also highlights how tone deaf the show can be when it's just two white guys as the brains behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Boywhiz88 posted:

I know I'm supposed to ignore it and enjoy the show, and it's funny how many other episodes I've let slide. This one really pissed me off though. I think it also highlights how tone deaf the show can be when it's just two white guys as the brains behind it.

You're just being sensitive. Murder is murder. Killing someone for money, for revenge, to get your rocks off or because the victim was gay are all equally heinous motives for an incredibly heinous act.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Irish Joe posted:

Murder is murder. Killing someone for money, for revenge, to get your rocks off or because the victim was gay are all equally heinous motives for an incredibly heinous act.
Well yeah but a hate crime is done not just against the victim, but to all members of the victim's race/sexuality/gender identity that the victim belongs/belonged to. Killing a guy because he slept with your wife isn't the same as killing him because he's black. One sends the message of "don't sleep with my wife" and the other sends the message of "don't be black." It's intimidation against an entire group of people, and that warrants a longer sentence.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Irish Joe posted:

You're just being sensitive. Murder is murder. Killing someone for money, for revenge, to get your rocks off or because the victim was gay are all equally heinous motives for an incredibly heinous act.
No, that episode is one of the shining examples of South Park Libertarianism in full flower. The central argument boils down to "there's no such thing as terrorism", which is ignorant and offensive on its face and cannot -- or, at least, should not -- be defended.

And they commit the crowning sin of putting their "racism? ha ha, boys, racism was something that happened in the past, there's no such thing now" filibuster in the mouth of a black man.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

And in their yard we'll burn a giant lowercase t, for time to leave!

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Saying anything is offensive is lazy, juvenile and ultimately pointless. Good job being on the side of fundamentalists and lonely old ladies with nothing else going on.

edit - easier, don't say something was offensive, say "I was offended" because otherwise you're making yourself an arbiter of things that you have no business deciding.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's not about being offended. It's about people putting loving damaging messages out into the world and pretending to be above criticism because comedy.

I'm not offended that they're that stupid and reckless. But it should be pointed out.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

LividLiquid posted:

It's not about being offended. It's about people putting loving damaging messages out into the world and pretending to be above criticism because comedy.

I'm not offended that they're that stupid and reckless. But it should be pointed out.

That's all your opinion, which you're entitled too. Feel free to criticize all you need to, but understand that other people will point out what a sensitive baby you are about a cartoon.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ChesterJT posted:

That's all your opinion, which you're entitled too. Feel free to criticize all you need to, but understand that other people will point out what a sensitive baby you are about a cartoon.
Yes. Pointing out prejudice and problem-thinking is good. Unless it's the kind ChesterJT thinks is funny. Then you're a sensitive baby.

EMoney
Jul 19, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Yes. Pointing out prejudice and problem-thinking is good. Unless it's the kind ChesterJT thinks is funny. Then you're a sensitive baby.

Yes. You're a sensitive baby.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I wake up in the morning with a fresh head on my shoulders wondering how I will apply my critical thinking and problem solving skills to solve the question that is South Park. Such as: what is a South Park, why do I let my kids watch it, and are Jews really loving Jews.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Do you even like TV, LividLiquid? The only time I see you post is to complain about it. Maybe you should, you know... find a new hobby?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
As an overweight person is real life I am disgusted with this show's treatment of overweight people like that one little fat brave boy. This show's creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone just do not understand the prejudice we face every day in our lives being that they are wealthy, white and skinny males.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I thought Trey had had weight issues on and off over the years. Phone posting, so I can't quickly dig up any embarrassing photos.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Do you even like TV, LividLiquid? The only time I see you post is to complain about it. Maybe you should, you know... find a new hobby?

It seems people enjoy being offended because it gives them a chance to rush to the internet to share the injustice. If I ate at a restaurant I didn't like I'd just stop eating there but livingliquid seems like the kind that would camp out front with a big sign warning people that the food is bad while yelling "why are you still going in? I'm trying to save you!".

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Can you all not see the difference between being offended by audacious politically incorrect humor and taking issue with the clearly stated moral lesson of a single episode?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Can you all not see the difference between being offended by audacious politically incorrect humor and taking issue with the clearly stated moral lesson of a single episode?

I guess we all learned something here today.

The world is full of other people, whether we like it or not. The internet has even more people than that. And even if they seem totally insane, or self-righteous, and even if they're stupid loving fat-asses [HEY!], the simple fact that they all exist is what challenges or own beliefs and makes the world an okay place to be. If we all agreed all the time, the world wouldn't just be boring; it would be dangerous.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Propaganda Machine posted:

I guess we all learned something here today.

The world is full of other people, whether we like it or not. The internet has even more people than that. And even if they seem totally insane, or self-righteous, and even if they're stupid loving fat-asses [HEY!], the simple fact that they all exist is what challenges or own beliefs and makes the world an okay place to be. If we all agreed all the time, the world wouldn't just be boring; it would be dangerous.
I disagree.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

I am offended because

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

We should implant some sort of "V-Chip" into everyone that shocks you when you're about to post something potentially offensive.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

See, that's what bugged me. My family has a legacy related to voting, and "Giant Douche Vs Turd Sandwich" doesn't bug me as much as "Cartman's Silly Hate Crime 2000." "Giant Douche Vs Turd Sandwich" ultimately concludes that you should vote, even if it is between a giant douche or a turd sandwich and frankly, if you lose then your vote was "worthless." It's not until that moment that it's worthless.

But "Cartman's Silly Hate Crime 2000" ignores the facts around cases that had recently received "hate crime" attention. A white man hurting a black man isn't a hate crime, but a white man purposely looking to brutalize a man specifically because he is black is a completely different thing. It's targeted, and frankly when a hate crime charge is brought the situation is particularly brutal.

I'm not being sensitive, it's a really hosed up conclusion to that episode and Matt and Trey's views on that issue.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

I loving love TV. I even love South Park. If I hated everything that I thought was ever at one point damaging to society, I wouldn't like very much.

But you can't bring this poo poo up anywhere on the internet without people being all, ":rolleyes: lol SJW," and that's fine, but it really comes across to me as being on the wrong side of history. Like, "minstrel shows aren't hurting anybody" levels of rhetoric sometimes.

In any case, I can think some episodes have lovely, stupid messages and still enjoy the show.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Boywhiz88 posted:

I've been rewatching past seasons as I work. I forgot how much of these episodes I know, but also how drat funny they are. However after some of the debate over the last year about the politics, it's tough to ignore when you think about it. I usually brush off all the middle ground crap, but there's one episode where it really bugged me.

Cartman's Silly Hate Crime 2000

Matt and Tre's argument from the boys is that all crime is hate crime, and it really pisses me off. This is an episode that airs only two years after Matthew Shepard is killed in a way that was cruel and specific due to him being gay, and the same amount of time since James Byrd Jr was dragged to death behind a truck for being black.

quote:

Stan: All hate crimes do is support the idea that blacks are different from whites, that homosexuals need to be treated differently from non-homos, that we aren't the same.
Kyle: Instead, we should all be treated the same, with the same laws and the same punishments for the same crimes.
I have to agree with them here. All crime done to another person IS hate crime. Being in a protected class like homosexuals and blacks is a double-edge sword, since it seems we must treat them as gingerly now as we did savagely in the past. Maybe that was a necessary thing 14 years ago when that episode came out, but now there's gay marriage, so maybe society is closer to Matt and Trey's vision. Still, those groups (LGBT, NAACP, etc.) will exist until true equality, which is what MnT were aiming for in that episode, is achieved. Isn't that what those groups want?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

WillieWestwood posted:

I have to agree with them here. All crime done to another person IS hate crime. Being in a protected class like homosexuals and blacks is a double-edge sword, since it seems we must treat them as gingerly now as we did savagely in the past. Maybe that was a necessary thing 14 years ago when that episode came out, but now there's gay marriage, so maybe society is closer to Matt and Trey's vision. Still, those groups (LGBT, NAACP, etc.) will exist until true equality, which is what MnT were aiming for in that episode, is achieved. Isn't that what those groups want?

We are hundreds of years from things being equal, gay marriage is being fought tooth and nail by bigots so I would not use that as a bastion of equality.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

WillieWestwood posted:

It's a ridiculous proposition because the fact is, hate crimes against minority groups happen on a regular basis and by their nature have more weight as a crime than an otherwise identical crime which was more prosaically motivated. A violent crime against someone who is gay because they are gay hurts all gay people by perpetuating a culture of hatred against the group. It is effectively incitement to or encouragement of similar violence in a way that a money-motivated murder isn't.

To flesh this idea out, it's misleading to call black people a "protected class", for instance, because sure, there's stuff like affirmative action and hate crime laws, but those things exist as an attempt to counterbalance the gigantic and very real bias against black people on almost every level of society. In a pure legislative sense as well as in a social sense, white people are a protected class to a far higher degree. If you're white, you will almost certainly receive shorter sentences for the same crimes, see a lower conviction rate in the courts, and be treated more kindly by the press than you would be otherwise.

Basically, yeah, in a perfect world, we wouldn't need hate crime laws, but we're so ridiculously far from anything like that that any argument to change nothing else, but abolish hate crime laws, essentially functions as an additional disenfranchisement of an already disadvantaged minority group.

Not that I particularly care what South Park thinks! I just think this is an interesting topic.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Android Blues posted:

It's a ridiculous proposition because the fact is, hate crimes against minority groups happen on a regular basis and by their nature have more weight as a crime than an otherwise identical crime which was more prosaically motivated. A violent crime against someone who is gay because they are gay hurts all gay people by perpetuating a culture of hatred against the group. It is effectively incitement to or encouragement of similar violence in a way that a money-motivated murder isn't.

To flesh this idea out, it's misleading to call black people a "protected class", for instance, because sure, there's stuff like affirmative action and hate crime laws, but those things exist as an attempt to counterbalance the gigantic and very real bias against black people on almost every level of society. In a pure legislative sense as well as in a social sense, white people are a protected class to a far higher degree. If you're white, you will almost certainly receive shorter sentences for the same crimes, see a lower conviction rate in the courts, and be treated more kindly by the press than you would be otherwise.

Basically, yeah, in a perfect world, we wouldn't need hate crime laws, but we're so ridiculously far from anything like that that any argument to change nothing else, but abolish hate crime laws, essentially functions as an additional disenfranchisement of an already disadvantaged minority group.

Not that I particularly care what South Park thinks! I just think this is an interesting topic.

Agreed. As someone put it earlier, killing someone for sleeping with your wife says "Don't sleep with my wife", killing them because they're black says "Don't be black", which is far more vicious and damaging to a healthy society.

One thing I was curious about, though - can hate crimes be committed against whites? Like, if a person brutally murdered someone explicitly because they were white and publicly (and anonymously) threatened white people, is that legally considered a hate crime? Or does the victim have to be part of a protected class for it to be a hate crime?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

BreakAtmo posted:

Agreed. As someone put it earlier, killing someone for sleeping with your wife says "Don't sleep with my wife", killing them because they're black says "Don't be black", which is far more vicious and damaging to a healthy society.

One thing I was curious about, though - can hate crimes be committed against whites? Like, if a person brutally murdered someone explicitly because they were white and publicly (and anonymously) threatened white people, is that legally considered a hate crime? Or does the victim have to be part of a protected class for it to be a hate crime?

There are definitely cases of hate crimes against white people. Intent and motivation is the biggest factor in classifying something as a hate crime, not the class part.

That's why this episode miffed me enough to bump the thread. It's not one of their messages that I disagree with, but it's one that's an actively harmful idea. The timing also really bugged me because it aired only a few years after very well publicized, very real hate crimes. It ignores everything that happened in our history to make these laws necessary.

It's the conclusion that kills me. It's one thing to point out that Cartman hitting Token with a rock because he called him fat and being charged with a hate crime is absurd, it's another thing to say all hate crimes are absurd.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I think the Trayvon Martin episode was good enough to sort of make up for Cartman's Silly Hate Crime. Sort of.

vv :stare: What? Just because I didn't specifically say that in my post doesn't mean that I don't know that.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 16, 2014

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They made Cartman's Silly Hate Crime like 14 years ago. Maybe sometimes people change their minds over the course of more than a decade. Woah.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, because most social libertarians change their minds and support censorship and thoughtcrime later in life.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lotta' good stuff here. I certainly couldn't have said it better.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Boywhiz88 posted:

It's one thing to point out that Cartman hitting Token with a rock because he called him fat and being charged with a hate crime is absurd, it's another thing to say all hate crimes are absurd.
In the commentary for this episode, Matt and Trey said they thought hate crime legislation was silly, even if others thought it necessary, and they still thought so a year later. For them, it's always been "Okay, this thing is bad (read: this happened a couple of years ago), or that thing is bad, but why must there be laws against them?" Do we need laws to tell us a crime against a black person or a homosexual person is wrong? Isn't society going to filter this kind of stuff out anyway?

But that's been covered further up in the page already, and they would probably roll their eyes at it.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Who was that goon that played Cartman in the live action segment of that one episode? He's pretty rad, does he do any other acting?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Beartaco posted:

Who was that goon that played Cartman in the live action segment of that one episode? He's pretty rad, does he do any other acting?

Brandon Hardesty. Yes. Look here.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I keep catching up with "must-see" movies that I never got around watching and, after watching Clockwork Orange, that scene from the Coon & Friends trilogy where Cartman agrees to compromise before walking down the street in slow motion and beating the poo poo out of his friends seems a lot less weird and out-of-nowhere with that music.

I like getting references several years too late.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Boywhiz88 posted:

I remember them talking about people sending in hate mail about the show, and they said almost all of it starts out, "I really like watching South Park, but with this new episode XXXXX you went too far."

You can make jokes about other people's religions, but once you talk about mine you went too far! Joking about rape was funny, but don't even start about hate crimes!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

You can make jokes about other people's religions, but once you talk about mine you went too far!

This is exactly why Isaac Hayes left the show.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Stanley's Cup got me to stop watching the show for a while. The episode was pretty funny, but the ending was too much to stomach.

Good thing it was the season finale.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Stanley's cup had the best ending out of any episode in the show. Possibly out of any episode of any show. It blew my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

ChairMaster posted:

Stanley's cup had the best ending out of any episode in the show. Possibly out of any episode of any show. It blew my mind.
No hope...

• Locked thread