Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

WMain00 posted:

They should kill off the entire FBI side of things and have The James Spader Show.

The only good thing about this episode is we didn't get the London hacking underground version of Chloe Lizzy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

*flicks a few pages back*

I see i'm not the only one that has thought this. Someone phone up NBC.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
The episode was pretty "meh" overall, the whole deus ex legal-ica coming in and clearing the path. But Red's speech to Lizzy at the end was pretty good, and pretty heartbreaking.

I am sick of Tom on the show, but at the same time I crave more shirtless Ryan Eggold. I am so torn.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
This show is so unbelievably frustrating. It bores me to the point that I'm spending most of the episode playing Sim City on my phone, and then it turns into The James Spader show like it did at the end of this week's episode. That speech was amazing.

Every time I consider dropping it altogether, this happens.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mouse Dresser posted:

I am sick of Tom on the show...

It's a Catch-22. Tom is the only character other than Spader who has (or is seemingly ALLOWED to have) any loving depth.

An interesting show would honestly be an offshoot explaining Tom's training and life *up* to meeting Agent McCrysalot.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's a Catch-22. Tom is the only character other than Spader who has (or is seemingly ALLOWED to have) any loving depth.

I loved skinhead Tom, but they forced the whole Germany plot through so fast it was a waste. He was much more convincing as an amoral sociopath, to the idiot that gave himself to the court, because love. Spader's speech at the end was captivating. But sadly the rest was pure dross.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I wish he'd hung out with the neo nazi drug/gun runners for a while longer.

And I agree, it was stupid to have Tom go there and profess his love of Liz. Completely unlike anything the character has ever done.

I hate this show so much.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Does he? Didn't he come in as a surprise after Spader put on his thinking face? I may've missed something from one of those scenes that doesn't have Spader in it, but I just assumed he coaxed/coerced Tom into doing this somehow.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
I unironically like this show. Literally all of it, even the last two episodes. :negative: Is-is there something wrong with me?

Seriously though, the last two episodes were kinda the standard "almost get caught, magic happens and they get out of it" plotline that happens in a lot of these kinds of shows. I don't think they should have set it up as its own two episode thing though, maybe had it going in the background while pushing on the Fulcrum plotline or something. As it stands, it's an elaborate setup to make the soon-to-be-Attourney-General as the next antagonist, and it kinda works, just for the look on Cooper's face when he's like "I never had any principles." The realization that his "friend" is actually just another power hungry rear end in a top hat like the people they hunt down with the task force is just priceless. Plus the fact that he waited just a little bit too long and wasn't quite enthusiastic enough for that "I'm Kidding," part of his new blackmail material over Cooper and the task force was just a bit too sinister. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be somehow involved with the cabal that want the Fulcrum or whatever, though in all probability, he's just gonna be a side antagonist while they work through the Fulcrum plotline.

Seriously though, they had Ron Perlman on the show and he had all of like seven speaking lines in like two episode, what the hell NBC, was he getting paid by the word or something? :mad:

Fake edit: So apparently the show got approved for a third season at the beginning of February, gee, wonder if the Fulcrum plotline will be resolved by the finale of the second season! :v:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Fake edit: So apparently the show got approved for a third season at the beginning of February, gee, wonder if the Fulcrum plotline will be resolved by the finale of the second season! :v:
A miniseries would've fit the writers better. When I see Tom I'm starting to have flashbacks to Jack's tattoo.*

* A filler episode regarded as Lost's low point.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I do remember the one bit of superfluous dialog I wished I could've edited in post:

Red: "They're less concerned with 'White Power' as they are with 'White Powder.'"

Super Meera: "They're drug dealers?"

Red: "No, they sell Girl Scout cookies...and here I thought you were the *smart* one."

You know, aside from:

"Lizzie's in trouble. You put her in it."

"I don't care. She chained me up on a loving boat for months." :fuckoff:

*cut to one day later*

"Oh hey, suddenly I care. Put me in jail."

Even if there's a ~twist~ coming, which of course there is, that's just lovely writing.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 22, 2015

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Marshall Flinkman out of nowhere.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Gonz posted:

Marshall Flinkman out of nowhere.

And once again, a guest star knows more than 99% of the main cast. Super Meera seems to be losing her edge being around morons, and now Harold's pretty much setting himself up to be put in a position where he'll have to ultimately sacrifice himself due to jeopardizing the team to keep getting doses of Cancer Killer #9.

*pushes forward the Red King*

"Seriously, do you remember *anything*? Say something! I know the lady just said you're all usually non-verbal, but I can only understand slowly-spoken English, preferably with labeled diagrams and finger puppets, and I'm obviously not looking for non-standard forms of communication."

*pushes forward the Red King...again*

"Fuckin' useless lump of poo poo." *walks away in a huff*

REALLY OBSERVANT THERE, LIZZY. I wonder what the next clue would've been, a Vigenère cipher using the playing cards to tell her not only the *name* of the guy kidnapping people, but precise GPS coordinates where to find him?

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 27, 2015

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
So... this episode had even LESS of a point than the clip show that preceded it? The most interesting part was after everything was resolved and Bishop tried to kill Tom (or Jacob or whatever the hell his name is). Also I thought the German bikers died in that gunfight an episode ago? :confused:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

So... this episode had even LESS of a point than the clip show that preceded it? The most interesting part was after everything was resolved and Bishop tried to kill Tom (or Jacob or whatever the hell his name is). Also I thought the German bikers died in that gunfight an episode ago? :confused:

I wouldn't say that. This episode returned to the more effective Monster of the Week format where the A-plot centers around some really bad person doing bad things for bad reasons, and the taskforce's efforts to take care of said bad man. The clip show that preceded this episode didn't have that A-plot. The "monster," if you will, was really just a judge who didn't even serve the function of a monster. He just was the scaffolding used to erect the framing device for the clip show.

The overall C-plot arc, Lizzy's memory and the fulcrum and all that crap, didn't progress at all. But, if that arc continuously progresses, it'll resolve too quickly, and then they'll have to come up with some other convoluted sub-sub-plot to drive Red's motivations. I'm OK with that arc not moving each and every episode. But the clips shows? They didn't move anything forward, not even a basic monster plot, and that ate up two whole episodes. Inexcusable.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
Fair enough, they did return to their usual format with this one, but the whole plot seemed a bit too out there to seem really credible. There was minimal sense of urgency, unlike something from an earlier episode like the one serial killer targeting abusive parents/spouses etc (Which they did twice, once in season one with the "Good Samaritan" and again in season two with "The Deer Hunter") All they really did was tie in some human experimentation on people with disabilities and try to tie in the billionaire that wants to live forever. And they had that bit with Reddington trying to tie it to Liz's memories, but that fell sorta flat. With the way they brought in the "downfall of Cooper" arc, and the fact that Reddington is STILL preparing for something (making friends with the billionaire seems like a first step in this) The whole thing feels like a setup episode without the benefit of having a payoff of a second part where things get resolved.

I will say one thing for this episode though: Outside of Reddington, Dembe is Best Character.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I haven't watched any episodes since the Ron Perlman 2-parter. Is it worth getting back on the train or should I abandon a sinking ship?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

I haven't watched any episodes since the Ron Perlman 2-parter. Is it worth getting back on the train or should I abandon a sinking ship?

With the exception of a recent 2-part glorified clip show, it's been pretty entertaining. Keep in mind, though, that easily one third of this show's charm is pure and simple James Spader brand Badassery®.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
I kept expecting the judge to be working for someone else the way he just kept going every time he was slapped down.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Josh Lyman posted:

It's worth for moments like "Whoops, what are the chances of that?".

az
Dec 2, 2005

so why did the germans let tom go? first they threatened to kill her, then he warned them she's fbi and he could help them in some way and next he was free on the street. ugh

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

mcbexx posted:

It's worth for moments like "Whoops, what are the chances of that?".

I loved that. I think Red's fortune is made up of all the gold tokens he gets for Stylish Kills.

It ranked up there with "Oh my God, the suspense is killing me."

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

pasaluki posted:

I actually thought the judge sort of owned. I'm sure he will turn out to be evil, because he is an old white man, but he in many ways pointed out how loving retarded and implausible the characters and script are. I don't know if the show was being self aware or what?

Then when Keen spergs out and gives her speech about how much she sucks the judge and the stenographer look at each other like "yup!"

Also I love he just got up in the middle of it like he couldn't bother to listen to all of the bullshit in one sitting.

The show is so bad I seriously want Keen and Cooper thrown in jail, and the taskforce to be disbanded. Give that detective a promotion for saving us from more lovely TV. Just have Reddington go on his own adventures.

I'm two episodes behind but I just want to say that the scene in the judges chambers was the most meta thing I've seen and was basically channeling this thread right up to the point where she says what a terrible profiler she is and how she sucks

And I don't understand why Lizzie couldn't just lay out what she suspected about Reddington and her past instead of explaining things as she stumbled onto them pissing off the judge by being withholding. But then I guess we wouldn't get our flashback episode that way

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 31, 2015

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Shelffffffffffffffffffffffff.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

WhyteRyce posted:

And I don't understand why Lizzie couldn't just lay out what she suspected about Reddington and her past instead of explaining things as she stumbled onto them pissing off the judge by being withholding.

.... no, I don't buy it. I bet you do too know!

WhyteRyce posted:

But then I guess we wouldn't get our flashback episode that way

Told ya.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Maybe I'm imagining it, but it looked like there was a section in part 2 of the flashback ep where the actor playing Ressler broke character. Spader makes a comment like "Every time you open your mouth Donald, hay flies out... <keeps talking>" and you see Klattenhoff briefly look surprised, break into a laugh, and then quickly put back on his super-serious "Must save fellow agent!" face.

I imagine it would be super hard to keep a straight face with the way Spader delivers all of his lines.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
So Tom shot Red, right

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mouse Dresser posted:

So Tom shot Red, right

yeah why the hell not. the writers still haven't decided probably

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

yeah why the hell not. the writers still haven't decided probably

it turns out that the fulcrum is actually a person and also in love with Lizzie so the fulcrum has killed all the men in her life. With his dying breath Ressler curses the task force and asks Lizzie if Red can save her. She whispers "He was the first to die." The fulcrum swoops in and grabs Lizzie and they ride off on the back of a horse to go stop crime together forever.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Mouse Dresser posted:

So Tom shot Red, right

Red shot Red.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Denny Crane shot Red

No Manners No
Jul 15, 2010
He was stabbed.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Phummus posted:

Denny Crane shot Red

That's what he gets for enjoying scotch and cigars with other people.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Trammel posted:

Red shot Red.

Just the kind of double bluff I'd expect from the loving Lizard King.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Show update: still terrible

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

HookShot posted:

Show update: still terrible

"Where are you?"

"This warehouse. Here's a link to its Yelp page."

*minutes later*

"THEY'VE FOUND US!"

-----

Agent McCrysalot: "Here's a copy of the entire Fulcrum, Mr. Chief Bad Guy. :smug: You can have that one. :smug: We've got copies."

Big Bad: "And now *I* know everything I have to potentially set up spin for, and who I have to kill to make it so everything on here remains smoke and mirrors forever. Thanks!"

Agent McCrysalot: "I'm...really bad at this."

Big Bad: "I know. Everyone hates you for it, but *I* love you for being an idiot."

-----

Mr. Kaplan: "I'm staying here. I'm going to protect you."

Red: "No you're not, you've got things to do for me that can't be done if you're dead. Now go."

*pouts, hands him her gun*

Red: "loving *seriously*? Get an automatic, Kappy. The *small* firefights in this show involve enough ammo to topple a medium-sized Central American nation, and you're still rocking a .38 six-banger? Even *I* use a Glock, and I'm Mr. Headshot-Every-Time."

-----

Tonight's the night that this show finally became Alias ~redux~. They might as well start calling Lizzy "Sydney."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 24, 2015

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
*Takes off pulse monitor*
*Screen in the background still shows a normal pulse rate*

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Where are you?"

"This warehouse. Here's its Yelp page link."

*minutes later*

"THEY'VE FOUND US!"

-----

Agent McCrysalot: "Here's a copy of the entire Fulcrum, Mr. Chief Bad Guy. :smug: You can have that one. :smug: We've got copies."

Big Bad: "And now *I* know everything I have to potentially set up spin for, and who I have to kill to make it so everything on here remains smoke and mirrors forever. Thanks!"

-----

Mr. Kaplan: "I'm staying here. I'm going to protect you."

Red: "No you're not, you've got things to do for me that can't be done if you're dead. Now go."

*pouts, hands him her gun*

Red: "loving *seriously*? Get an automatic, Kappy. The firefights in this show involve enough ammo to topple a medium-sized Central American nation, and you're still rocking a .38 six-banger? Even *I* use a Glock, and I'm Mr. Headshot-Every-Time."

Given your fine taste in avatars, I'm surprised you didn't work "Super Kill Guy" in there somewhere.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

tarlibone posted:

Given your fine taste in avatars, I'm surprised you didn't work "Super Kill Guy" in there somewhere.

You'd have to be more specific.

Also:

Agent McCrysalot: "You mean you've been able to hide from *Red* for years, and you *developed* this thing we've been fighting and dying over?"

Retired CIA Guy: "Yep."

Agent McCrysalot: "Then why aren't we like, erecting statues of you and sacrificing goats in your honor?"

Retired CIA Guy: "Because you're all morons."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Also, you just know when Red's on an operating table, you kind of expect Peter Griffin to pop out from the side and go..."Yeah, it's gonna be a Lizzy episode. You might just wanna change the channel now. No one'd blame ya."

• Locked thread