Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

This is a native client for browsing/posting on the forums from an Android phone or tablet.

:siren:Screenshots:siren:

:siren::siren:Install it today!:siren::siren:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ferg.awfulapp

What is this Android nonsense? Will this work on my iPhone?
I think you're looking for this, or maybe even this.

Kindle Fire user?
Grab Awful here: https://www.amazon.com/Awful-LLC/dp/B01LWMSR61/

:siren:Developer/designer? Contribute!:siren: (Seriously though, please do)
https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk
Development thread

Things the app does:
- Browse the forums
- Browse your bookmarks
- Quote and post replies on a thread
- Rate, bookmark and share threads
- Receive and send PMs (plat only)
- Report terrible posts like this one (plat only)
- Search (plat only)
- Leper's colony / see probation reasons
and lots more

Things the app does not (yet):
- Allow you to create threads
- Show user profiles
- Display polls
- SAclopedia
and lots more

Is it stealing my credentials?
Nope. The app simply stores the authentication cookies you use to browse the site. We throw out your username and password as soon as you log in.

How can I help?
Dive in and fix a bug! Feature requests are always rolling in, so post it here if you have an idea or just throw us a pull request. And submit any bugs you find as issues yourself. Or you could help us this way:

I like to live dangerously, give me the latest stuff
Go here and become a tester

This beta is terrible and I want out
The beta link also let's you end your beta membership.

What is the best app to d
:frogout:

Contributors:
Ferg
baka kaba
big mean giraffe
brosmike
BullChicken
crazysim
foghorn
Geekner
Glimm
JingleBells
Sereri
spanky the dolphin
wmbest2

QR Code!

Previous thread

Sereri fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

:siren:FAQ::siren:

I intentionally flashed an unfinished developer preview of the next Android version to my phone and a thing broke
k

Does the app still support custom themes?
It does indeed though it works via CSS these days. If you've got a .css file of your choice, place it in /SDCARD/awful (case-sensitive). It should be selectable from the theme list in the app. If it is a dark theme make sure to name it {THEMENAME}.dark.css or it won't have dark threadlists.

popular themes:
Arc.dark.css by ArcMage

:siren: Warning :siren:
Custom css are not part of the app and might break with future changes. Please notify the author in this case.

I can't tell whether I'm in the beta or not
Either go to the OP and click the beta link to see if you are already a tester, or check the apps version in your phone's app settings:
Current version: 3.3.1
Current beta: 3.3.1
Current :airquote: stable :airquote: versions will usually end in a zero, while beta versions do not

Oh god there are terrifying, giant black boxes all over the thread!!
Disable Hardware Acceleration in the settings (under "Device and navigation")

This app has too many settings and features I don't need
Maybe you should try Something instead.

I don't want this floating action button!
You can disable the FAB under setting -> device & navigation

My phone looks like this:

Your phone provides incorrect values and is handled as a tablet by the app because of it.
Go to setting -> device & navigation and change the layout to phone

Sereri fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 4, 2019

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
5/5 would download again!
I use this app more than everything else on my phone. I really appreciate the effort of all the people who have been involved with development on this. Thanks!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hey, I thought the new thread was supposed to come with a new app! I want my money back. All 0 dollars.

P.S. this app owns thank you for creating and maintaining it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

App is terrible 5/5 would will download terrible app again

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The store page has been updated and the updated version has been pushed out. At what time both things actually hit the market though...

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

I've noticed a few bugs when rotating the app and using the split pane thing - this is on my Nexus 7 running Android 4.3.

Missing Bookmark button:
1. Open app holding tablet portrait
2. Rotate to landscape - bookmarks list appears on right pane next to forums index, bookmarks button disappears from title bar thing
3. Rotate back to landscape - app returns to forums index, bookmarks button still missing

It can be restored by swiping to the right to get to the bookmarks page and back again.

Blank screen:
1. Open app holding tablet portrait
2. Goto bookmarks, pick a thread and open it
3. Swipe back to bookmarks
4. Rotate table to landscape - Bookmarks pane on left goes blank

If you rotate it back to portrait it still doesn't load - swiping left/right and back again restores it but says Page 1/? at the bottom.

Otherwise it's still a great app :)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This is easily the most used app on my phone. Now I can read the forums and poop at the same time!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Wow, the new update looks fantastic.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

My custom dark theme looks like it got blown away. :smith:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

This is pretty drat rad, and loads pages really fast too. Thanks very much!

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

3.0!

It's great to finally see all that work in the beta reach a full release. I hope you all find it well worth the wait!

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I've used Awful for a longass time and really like it, but the upgrade screwed with the classic theme pretty badly:

I don't have an image, but the old version didn't have all that white (blue) space and the text spacing was better. Also the font itself was different as I recall. Maybe someone else has a screenshot, but the old version was a lot less ugly. This one just looks a hell of a lot more beta than it used to.

I dunno. It doesn't look fixable in settings, and I didn't think to export my settings because as far as I knew there was no reason to screw with the classic default.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
There doesn't seem to be a way to set font/background colors anymore. Is there an option I'm missing?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Just updated to the new version, it's great but I'm missing the granular theme customization options of the old version. I assume the CSS is tweakable by editing a file or creating a new one. Works? Worth it? Also, is AmberPOS theme supposed to lock in the terminal font regardless of your selected default?

Everything about Awful Betamax is booyah-worthy, great job.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
A very minor bug: pull-for-next has the same text at the top whether it's reloading the latest page or loading the next one.

Otherwise it's perfect so far.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Currently you can only edit the theme by modifying a CSS file that I don't remember the location of. If your theme looks screwy, reset to one of the presets. There are nice looking options in both dark and light.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
There are the css files that define the current layout (here: https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/tree/master/application/assets/css). However, modifying them on the phone is a royal pain in the rear end, so it would be totally rad if the html that the app actually displays was available somewhere for testing purposes. The browser version of the html seems to be different -- i.e. if I use the browser version of the forums html here: http://cssdesk.com/, and try to use one of the css files, it doesn't display like in the app.

So, does a test html file that has all the relevant elements exist somewhere?

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Loucks posted:

I've used Awful for a longass time and really like it, but the upgrade screwed with the classic theme pretty badly:

I don't have an image, but the old version didn't have all that white (blue) space and the text spacing was better. Also the font itself was different as I recall. Maybe someone else has a screenshot, but the old version was a lot less ugly. This one just looks a hell of a lot more beta than it used to.

I dunno. It doesn't look fixable in settings, and I didn't think to export my settings because as far as I knew there was no reason to screw with the classic default.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think of the new default theme and what made you revert to the classic version?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I would just like to state for the record that I am extremely peeved about the removal of the spinning frog.

The update looks great though.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Salvador Dalvik posted:

Just out of curiosity, what do you think of the new default theme and what made you revert to the classic version?

Way too much wasted space. After removing all the padding in the css it looks OK though.

e: Should add that this is on the phone. Things may be much roomier on a tablet.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Salvador Dalvik posted:

I prefer the blue post separators of Classic. I don't know what to call it, but the "floating page" effect used to separate posts in the default looks ugly to me, especially due to the waste of space along the sides of the screen in portrait orientation. The old version made efficient use of the display without unnecessary stylistic flourishes, and making it both less efficient and more ugly seems like a misstep to me.

I also hate the Web 2.0 look of the New Forums, so my opinion is quite probably in the minority.

Edit: Agree that it might look fine on an N10 or other high-res tablet. Not on a 1920x1080 phone though.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 25, 2013

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

After pulling to refresh, the progress bar overlaps the usual loading bar, and it looks really weird (you can see a pixel-wide gap between the two at the top).

My thread subtext is set to last poster only, and it looks really weird. Unread threads show the OP instead of the last poster (is that intentional?), and the pipe divider is attached to the front even though it's the only setting I have enabled.

Enabling "author" doesn't change how it looks at all (presumably it would have both "OP" and "Last" in there).

Some threads have the subtext left-aligned, and some right-aligned. It appears that any threads that I've read are right-aligned, except for stickied threads where it's still left-aligned.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

404notfound posted:

Unread threads show the OP instead of the last poster (is that intentional?),

I also just noticed that, and wanted to say thanks. It's almost as if the app knows what information I want there. Spooky!

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
ack my themes!

Love the speed but I would love the dark theme to have its black background :/

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

404notfound posted:

After pulling to refresh, the progress bar overlaps the usual loading bar, and it looks really weird (you can see a pixel-wide gap between the two at the top).

My thread subtext is set to last poster only, and it looks really weird. Unread threads show the OP instead of the last poster (is that intentional?), and the pipe divider is attached to the front even though it's the only setting I have enabled.

Enabling "author" doesn't change how it looks at all (presumably it would have both "OP" and "Last" in there).

Some threads have the subtext left-aligned, and some right-aligned. It appears that any threads that I've read are right-aligned, except for stickied threads where it's still left-aligned.

hey santa baby posted:

I also just noticed that, and wanted to say thanks. It's almost as if the app knows what information I want there. Spooky!

Oh, I knew I missed a detail. The change to make unread threads show OP instead of last poster was intentional. I forgot to double-back and revamp that setting, so it'll show up weird if you change it from default. I'll get that fix in the inevitable bugfix update in the next few days.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Roundboy posted:

ack my themes!

Love the speed but I would love the dark theme to have its black background :/

I have to agree but maybe a very dark blue would work too. I think the extra padding is the most annoying thing though. I also miss the spinning frog so bad. :(

Everything else is great, great work everyone! 5/5. Would poop with again.

Edit: just noticed that unread posts are a nice dark grey so it's just the read post blue that I don't like.

Edit2: using the default dark theme. I also notice that the backing 'black' is not proper black and differs from the Awful title bar. Is this intentional?

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 25, 2013

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Wow, it's crazy fast now.

An easier way to test custom css would be nice though, maybe an example thread page html hosted somewhere?

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 25, 2013

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

gmq posted:

An easier way to test custom css would be nice though, maybe an example thread page html hosted somewhere?

I knew I was just not saying it right.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

hey santa baby posted:

Way too much wasted space. After removing all the padding in the css it looks OK though.

e: Should add that this is on the phone. Things may be much roomier on a tablet.

Leaving my phone installation stagnant for a while with the last play store release because of this and the custom theme limits. I didn't specify, but the earlier post was about the update on a Nexus 10.

Nice bonus among the limited color options, the AmberPOS theme with "enable bookmark star colors" turned on is a good forums scheme for autumn.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
I wish I had joined the beta program, because I kinda hate the new pull-to-refresh/next. Maybe I just need to give it some time, but it doesn't give clear enough feedback, gives that feedback away from where I'm looking, doesn't override scrolling if I decide to un-pull to not refresh, and just seems fiddly. It's no longer pull-to-refresh, it's swipe-kinda-like-you're-pulling-to-maybe-refresh-or-go-to-the-next-page-but-we're-calling-that-refresh-too.

The rest of the changes look pretty nice, though.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Galaxy s3 with android 4.1.1 and my only problem is the thread ratings are a big black rectangle. I cleared the cache but it stayed the same.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I'm going to consider this an opportunity to learn CSS, and stick with one of the yospos themes for now.

Everything else is groovy, I know this is the least useful sort of trip report, but this is how it is.

Excellent app, would learn a markup language for

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Jethro posted:

I wish I had joined the beta program, because I kinda hate the new pull-to-refresh/next. Maybe I just need to give it some time, but it doesn't give clear enough feedback, gives that feedback away from where I'm looking, doesn't override scrolling if I decide to un-pull to not refresh, and just seems fiddly. It's no longer pull-to-refresh, it's swipe-kinda-like-you're-pulling-to-maybe-refresh-or-go-to-the-next-page-but-we're-calling-that-refresh-too.

The rest of the changes look pretty nice, though.

To be fair, it seems to be the "official" way to do it on Android now. Gmail implements it the exact same way.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

404notfound posted:

To be fair, it seems to be the "official" way to do it on Android now. Gmail implements it the exact same way.

Yea, the pull-to-refresh library we used in the prior version was depreciated and the replacement is what you see now. It caused a few issues during the beta but Sereri worked out the bugs. Hopefully the library author will improve it a bit, it's still in active development.

swarthmeister posted:

Leaving my phone installation stagnant for a while with the last play store release because of this and the custom theme limits. I didn't specify, but the earlier post was about the update on a Nexus 10.

Nice bonus among the limited color options, the AmberPOS theme with "enable bookmark star colors" turned on is a good forums scheme for autumn.

While we look at the themes, I would really recommend upgrading even if it's a bit annoying. There are many behind-the-scenes bugs that were fixed I would rest much better knowing fewer people were exposed to them. I'm not sure what tweaks will be made the new default theme, but we can definitely improve the classic theme.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
On a ten inch tablet (I'm on a note 10.1) you have to swipe your finger like seven inches up the screen to trigger a refresh in portrait, which is way too much. Can't be done with a thumb like before.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Did the gif-animation option go away? I can't see it, but it looks like my animations are still turned off.

Edit: Just saw it on the main options. I was looking for it under Image settings.

vvv also this vvv

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 25, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Geirskogul posted:

On a ten inch tablet (I'm on a note 10.1) you have to swipe your finger like seven inches up the screen to trigger a refresh in portrait, which is way too much. Can't be done with a thumb like before.

This and the loss of the dark theme with black backgrounds are my biggest peeves. Otherwise I am excited to see how this looks and performs. The dark theme is particularly important to me because I like to do as much as possible to preserve battery life.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This and the loss of the dark theme with black backgrounds are my biggest peeves. Otherwise I am excited to see how this looks and performs. The dark theme is particularly important to me because I like to do as much as possible to preserve battery life.

Only if you're on an OLED device, true. I prefer the grey for night browsing, so I end up using grey for the tablet and black for one of the phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Sereri posted:

Amazon charges $99/year even for free apps and their review process is pretty long and tedious

:qq: