Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Just updated to the latest Market version, and noticed a bug from the earlier beta (I forgot to report it :sweatdrop: ) is still around. On the Bookmarks page, when you mark a thread unread, it throws an error and tells you to check your network connectivity. If you refresh the Bookmarks page, that thread is unread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Loucks posted:

I've used Awful for a longass time and really like it, but the upgrade screwed with the classic theme pretty badly:

I don't have an image, but the old version didn't have all that white (blue) space and the text spacing was better. Also the font itself was different as I recall. Maybe someone else has a screenshot, but the old version was a lot less ugly. This one just looks a hell of a lot more beta than it used to.

I dunno. It doesn't look fixable in settings, and I didn't think to export my settings because as far as I knew there was no reason to screw with the classic default.
Since everything concerning composing the thread view has been thrown out, the classic theme shares very little code with it's previous incarnation. It's more of an interpretation. That said, I'm sure we can make it more like before. Or better.

...! posted:

There doesn't seem to be a way to set font/background colors anymore. Is there an option I'm missing?
Fonts yes, background colors only through theme.

swarthmeister posted:

Just updated to the new version, it's great but I'm missing the granular theme customization options of the old version. I assume the CSS is tweakable by editing a file or creating a new one. Works? Worth it? Also, is AmberPOS theme supposed to lock in the terminal font regardless of your selected default?

Everything about Awful Betamax is booyah-worthy, great job.

hey santa baby posted:

There are the css files that define the current layout (here: https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/tree/master/application/assets/css). However, modifying them on the phone is a royal pain in the rear end, so it would be totally rad if the html that the app actually displays was available somewhere for testing purposes. The browser version of the html seems to be different -- i.e. if I use the browser version of the forums html here: http://cssdesk.com/, and try to use one of the css files, it doesn't display like in the app.

So, does a test html file that has all the relevant elements exist somewhere?

gmq posted:

Wow, it's crazy fast now.

An easier way to test custom css would be nice though, maybe an example thread page html hosted somewhere?
I was gonna write a guide for the css today and that's a great idea. I'm not sure about the font, I'll take a look.

404notfound posted:

After pulling to refresh, the progress bar overlaps the usual loading bar, and it looks really weird (you can see a pixel-wide gap between the two at the top).
I knew there was something else I wanted to fix before pushing it out. Oh well it doesn't break anything at least.

Roundboy posted:

ack my themes!

Love the speed but I would love the dark theme to have its black background :/
I suspect such a theme will exist soon.

Jethro posted:

I wish I had joined the beta program, because I kinda hate the new pull-to-refresh/next. Maybe I just need to give it some time, but it doesn't give clear enough feedback, gives that feedback away from where I'm looking, doesn't override scrolling if I decide to un-pull to not refresh, and just seems fiddly. It's no longer pull-to-refresh, it's swipe-kinda-like-you're-pulling-to-maybe-refresh-or-go-to-the-next-page-but-we're-calling-that-refresh-too.

The rest of the changes look pretty nice, though.

Geirskogul posted:

On a ten inch tablet (I'm on a note 10.1) you have to swipe your finger like seven inches up the screen to trigger a refresh in portrait, which is way too much. Can't be done with a thumb like before.
P2R needs you to clear half the screen before it's armed and you need to let it go before it reloads. I guess the half screen might be a bit much on tablets, I'll see if I can reduce it to 30% there.

Mercury Hat posted:

Galaxy s3 with android 4.1.1 and my only problem is the thread ratings are a big black rectangle. I cleared the cache but it stayed the same.
Yeah that's not normal. I kinda want you to make a screenshot even though I can picture how it looks.

anthonypants posted:

Just updated to the latest Market version, and noticed a bug from the earlier beta (I forgot to report it :sweatdrop: ) is still around. On the Bookmarks page, when you mark a thread unread, it throws an error and tells you to check your network connectivity. If you refresh the Bookmarks page, that thread is unread.
Is it possible that your connection was lovely and the acknowledging answer didn't get through. Works fine for me.

Heh :v:. I'll repeat my statement from last time: If there's a goon with an amazon dev account he's welcome to publish Awful there (as long as he keeps it up to date). But $99/year for the convenience of not downloading an apk from the OP is a bit much.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Sereri posted:

Since everything concerning composing the thread view has been thrown out, the classic theme shares very little code with it's previous incarnation. It's more of an interpretation. That said, I'm sure we can make it more like before. Or better.

Well that makes sense. Really the superfluous bluespace is the only significant issue.

I'm enjoying the new version's ability to load almost as fast as chrome. I do appreciate the update.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Pull-to-refresh on subforums is still semi-broken, turns out. If you have pull-for-next disabled, eventually p2r stops working if you read threads for long enough. When it stops, you can re-enable p4n and then p2r will start working again; if you then disable p4n again, p2r stops too.

I understand that people who disable p4n are in the minority, so I understand that is low-priority. Nexus 4, stock 4.3, etc.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I can't find an option to hide avatars in the new version. Where is it hidden?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!
Ah, OK. Does anyone have the apk for the previous version?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Haven't figured out a pattern yet, but sometimes when I go to the bookmarks page through the app's widget shortcut, pull to refresh doesn't work. Dragging down on the list does not show the pull prompt.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
So crisp. So fresh. I didn't realize how often I used Awful App until a was taken aback by newness like 30 times today.

Seriously thanks to everyone who made it happen, 99% of my SA browsing these days is by phone so this is a big deal for me.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Sereri posted:

P2R needs you to clear half the screen before it's armed and you need to let it go before it reloads. I guess the half screen might be a bit much on tablets, I'll see if I can reduce it to 30% there.

On my phone, it seems to need about 60% of the screen cleared to refresh.

You can't start with your finger on the nav bar so if you hold the phone towards the bottom, the release point is mor than half way up.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Sereri posted:

Yeah that's not normal. I kinda want you to make a screenshot even though I can picture how it looks.

Yeah...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ragingsheep posted:

On my phone, it seems to need about 60% of the screen cleared to refresh.

You can't start with your finger on the nav bar so if you hold the phone towards the bottom, the release point is mor than half way up.

It's taking literally the entire length of the screen to get pull to refresh on my Galaxy S4. This is awkward and difficult on a phone with that large a screen.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Jedit posted:

It's taking literally the entire length of the screen to get pull to refresh on my Galaxy S4. This is awkward and difficult on a phone with that large a screen.

Get a smaller phone then (though half the screen on my N7 is also slightly too much I think)!

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
Well, if the new ptr is the way it's done now, would it be possible to put the "Pull for Next Page" text and indicator at the bottom when we're pulling from the bottom?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I know it sucks but try fully clearing the app and reinstalling. Isn't 4.1.2 out for the S3?

Jedit posted:

Is that with the multi-view thing? In theory not even that should matter. Scroll distance is height of the view (so the actual content, not the screen) times 0.5 .
The 0.5 can be changed, I guess we could make it a slider like for the font size (though I'd rather not).

Also: If someone wants to help but cannot code, I'd love proposals on a better way to arrange the settings menus.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I really, really love the new look. Keep up the amazing work!

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I'd love to help out with the coding, but I can only do C# via Xamarin, I don't guess that's a likely avenue of approach.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

-Anders posted:

I'd love to help out with the coding, but I can only do C# via Xamarin, I don't guess that's a likely avenue of approach.

C# isn't that far from Java and looking at Xamarin tutorals, it seems to use the Android layout system. Maybe take a look at the repository and see how much you can figure out. :)

/e:

404notfound posted:

Haven't figured out a pattern yet, but sometimes when I go to the bookmarks page through the app's widget shortcut, pull to refresh doesn't work. Dragging down on the list does not show the pull prompt.
Got this on my tablet this morning, it's when you leave the app on the thread view, it gets closed in the background and you reenter via the bookmarks shortcut. The P2R is still set to pull from bottom at that point. It's fixed now.

I also fixed 2 crashes, 'POS font bug and the double loading bar

Sereri fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 25, 2013

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Loving the new update, suuuuuper fast compared to the last version on my S4.

I did have an issue where no images were showing, avatars, images, thread tags. No amount of messing about with the options could bring them back. I deleted app data and cache, and after logging back in is back to normal. If anyone loses images after the update try that.

clay_
Apr 2, 2013
The new update is awesome. Gonna gently caress around and try and get a decent fyad.css going.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

For the record, the thread tags you had in the last alpha were awesome and I miss them

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Rubies posted:

Seriously thanks to everyone who made it happen, 99% of my SA browsing these days is by phone so this is a big deal for me.

Just came in to say this. I love the new look, and have been using this thing forever.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

XIII posted:

For the record, the thread tags you had in the last alpha were awesome and I miss them

Yeah, I remember some talk about square thread tags in the last thread. I haven't actually seen them, but from the description it sounded like they would occupy the whole left end of the thread title. This would take space away from the thread title text, making it so that fewer threads fit on one page.

I can't speak for people on tablets, but as far as the phone display is concerned, and also for the record: Boo! I'd take no thread tags over this nonsense.

Anybody got a screenshot so I can be properly outraged at this awful disgrace?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I just noticed the bookmarks in this screenshot, and I like it very much.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

Also: If someone wants to help but cannot code, I'd love proposals on a better way to arrange the settings menus.
I'll have this done tonight or tomorrow. Edit: This is a pretty bad rat's nest. I'll definitely have it by Friday, but probably won't get done tonight.

How open are you to using on/off toggle with the title leading to the options (like Wi-Fi is in AOSP settings, for instance)? I know you said it targeted too high of an API but it changes how you'd structure the settings so I need to know.

-----------------------------------------------

I just had an instance where going to the next page (of this thread, actually) caused the view to be at the end of the next page and then it marked all of it as having been read.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 25, 2013

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Looking great, but 2 bugs to report:

1. If you are not on the final page of a thread and pull down to go to the next page, the bar at the top still reads "Release to Refresh" rather than whatever it used to say about the next page

2. Using the icon to go back no longer remembers if you accessed the thread through your bookmarks rather than the forums, it always takes you to the thread's back to the thread's forum. However if you swipe back it does seem to remember whether you came via bookmarks

Also what is the code contribution process like - there are a few small things I would like to modify?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Nice nice nice. Super fast on my nexus 4 will test later on my nexus 7 (2012).

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Cuntpunch posted:

2. Using the icon to go back no longer remembers if you accessed the thread through your bookmarks rather than the forums, it always takes you to the thread's back to the thread's forum. However if you swipe back it does seem to remember whether you came via bookmarks

I believe that was on purpose. Swipe and the back button are 'back', and that icon is 'up a level'.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Cuntpunch posted:

Looking great, but 2 bugs to report:

1. If you are not on the final page of a thread and pull down to go to the next page, the bar at the top still reads "Release to Refresh" rather than whatever it used to say about the next page

Also what is the code contribution process like - there are a few small things I would like to modify?

For #2, the top-left button is hierarchy up, per Google's design standards. It's supposed to take you one level up, in this case to the parent forum. Think of it like going one step back on the "The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > Awful Android app - I Can't Believe It's Not Beta!" link chain you see at the top of the thread. It's been this way for a while now, and the normal back button will take you back to the bookmark screen. Honestly, the top button is terribly unintuitive, but we're sticking to Google's guidelines in the hope that it becomes better understood over time.

If you want to contribute, you can fork the project on Github and submit a pull request with any changes. You can always post bug reports or feature requests under the Issues section, that's the best place for us to keep track of them.

zeekner fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 25, 2013

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I'm gonna have to join in with everyone else and say:

Please please please can we have the 'real' dark theme back? I have an OLED screen and I just want white text on a black background, with some slight differentiation of text colour to show read vs. unread posts. The blue just looks... well, I feel a bit mean saying this, but it looks ugly to me. I'm not sure I understand the decision to remove the theme options either, but if the original dark theme can be restored then that's a start.

Everything else seems good though, and it definitely is way faster. Thanks for the hard work :)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

I'll have this done tonight or tomorrow. Edit: This is a pretty bad rat's nest. I'll definitely have it by Friday, but probably won't get done tonight.

I win! (I'd already started though)

I basically tried to group things logically and keep it to one submenu per section, so it's easier to find what you're looking for.

Forum Settings - was called Thread Settings, but since it really affects how the forum level looks I renamed it. Holds all the settings for how the thread lists are sorted and what gets displayed.

Thread Settings - I threw most of the stuff in here, it holds all the settings for how posts are displayed, highlighting, spoilers, links and videos. Image settings were a separate submenu but I think you could just have them as another section like here. I separated embedding and hardware acceleration as the former's more of a content preference, the other is more a performance tweak (it went in Look and Feel).

Theme Settings - no change here. Might be worth keeping separate, especially if it's going to be expanded? Maybe font type should be moved since font size is in the thread settings menu. I can see why it's part of the theme, so maybe font size should go in there with it, instead of in the thread settings.

Look and Feel - crap name, basically the overall app interface, navigation options and performance settings.

Account Settings - ...stuff about your account.

And the other doodads at the end. It's worth mentioning I'm on a phone, so I don't actually know what some settings do (like the layout options), so maybe they should go somewhere else. It's a starting point anyway!

e- also hopefully I didn't miss a submenu :negative:

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 25, 2013

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

rolleyes posted:

Please please please can we have the 'real' dark theme back? I have an OLED screen and I just want white text on a black background, with some slight differentiation of text colour to show read vs. unread posts.
I had the same initial reason for not updating (G-Nexus), but the YOSPOS themes are close enough to work until that change happens.

Granted, read posts and OP posts get the whole area shaded positively instead of negatively. But as long as you aren't spending much time rereading posts on your phone, it works for now. True black background with yellow or green details.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Love the new look, super sad I can't bump the contrast on fonts anymore. :(

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

baka kaba posted:

Forum Settings - was called Thread Settings, but since it really affects how the forum level looks I renamed it. Holds all the settings for how the thread lists are sorted and what gets displayed.

In Forum Settings, under THREAD DETAILS are the things that get displayed under the thread title in the forums view. Perhaps there could be a "Smart [ ]" option that has the current behavior where unread threads show the OP and read threads show "killed by." That way, the other options can be made rigid (since this seems to have confused some).

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

hey santa baby posted:

In Forum Settings, under THREAD DETAILS are the things that get displayed under the thread title in the forums view. Perhaps there could be a "Smart [ ]" option that has the current behavior where unread threads show the OP and read threads show "killed by." That way, the other options can be made rigid (since this seems to have confused some).

Honestly, I want to remove that whole section. With automatic switching between OP/last post, you might only need a toggle for thread tags. There isn't much of a reason to turn off thread tags either, they don't use much, if any, bandwidth and are a core feature of the normal forums.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Here's my settings menu structure.

For some reason Drive decided that items with notes attached need neither color nor text that's readable. Clicking on the cell shows the menu item and it should be obvious by the color coding what the original text was. All of the ones with notes are ones that I believe should have changes.

Salvador Dalvik posted:

Honestly, I want to remove that whole section. With automatic switching between OP/last post, you might only need a toggle for thread tags. There isn't much of a reason to turn off thread tags either, they don't use much, if any, bandwidth and are a core feature of the normal forums.
If the thread tags are going to be those horrible square ones I definitely don't want the option to disable them to go away. The new ones look absolutely terrible.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 25, 2013

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
I'd also like to agree with the others saying P4N takes too much scrolling on phones. I would like to see it at 35%. I use a DROID 3.

clay_
Apr 2, 2013
Suggestion: Add support for two thread tags like in Awful iOS, that way SA Mart threads show whether it's a buying or selling thread. Plus it looks nice.

Edit: With everyone talking about square tags, I'd honestly like to see an option to enable/disable square tags. I really enjoy them personally, but obviously other people don't.

clay_ fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 25, 2013

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Instead of making it a percentage of the screen size, could you make it like an inch or two and expand that based on whatever the vertical resolution is?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Why on earth do you pull from the bottom to load the next page but the only visual indication that you are doing anything is at the top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

I basically tried to group things logically and keep it to one submenu per section, so it's easier to find what you're looking for.

Thread Settings - I threw most of the stuff in here, it holds all the settings for how posts are displayed, highlighting, spoilers, links and videos. Image settings were a separate submenu but I think you could just have them as another section like here. I separated embedding and hardware acceleration as the former's more of a content preference, the other is more a performance tweak (it went in Look and Feel).

Theme Settings - no change here. Might be worth keeping separate, especially if it's going to be expanded? Maybe font type should be moved since font size is in the thread settings menu. I can see why it's part of the theme, so maybe font size should go in there with it, instead of in the thread settings.

Look and Feel - crap name, basically the overall app interface, navigation options and performance settings.

Account Settings - ...stuff about your account.

And the other doodads at the end. It's worth mentioning I'm on a phone, so I don't actually know what some settings do (like the layout options), so maybe they should go somewhere else. It's a starting point anyway!

e- also hopefully I didn't miss a submenu :negative:
I like a lot of this. A couple niggles:
  • Disable GIF animation should be in Thread settings > Image preferences as it directly relates to images.
  • Theme settings > Choose layout does nothing for me, leads to a radio button for simply "Default".
  • Can we get rid of "Show next page button at top"? Seems ridiculous.
  • What is Look and Feel > Thread layout? I can't find it unless it refers to Theme settings > Choose layout.
  • Scroll thread with volume keys needs to be renamed to "Scroll with volume keys" as it scrolls more than just the thread.
  • It seems that by definition Theme setttings should be under Look and Feel.

You're also right that Look and Feel is a terrible name.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 25, 2013