Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Dark One posted:

A really slow-loading page seemed to break the CSS in the app until I killed it:

This happened to me as well on a dark theme. Switched to a normal theme a day could see the text, but the formatting was still screwed up until I force closed the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

I like the improvements you've made, but I think you broke long pressing on links. I can't copy them directly any more
Just click on the link.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

nimper posted:

I can confirm this. I tested the bug with the link to the CSS test zip.

The test page just looks like the app, there is almost no functionality besides the post info and menu extending.

I like the improvements you've made, but I think you broke long pressing on links. I can't copy them directly any more

anthonypants posted:

Just click on the link.

See in the Settings if "always open links" is active. I don't think that links have ever required a long press.

The Dark One posted:

A really slow-loading page seemed to break the CSS in the app until I killed it:

Internet Explorer posted:

This happened to me as well on a dark theme. Switched to a normal theme a day could see the text, but the formatting was still screwed up until I force closed the app.

I have hunch of why it is, but not how it happened. Did you follow any links to that or anything?

hey santa baby posted:

Thank you for this.

Also thanks for posting the square thread tag screenshot earlier. It looks like with the square tags there will be less space for the title text, so count me as a vote against. I remember pestering SD in his Geekner period to allow linewrap of thread titles so that one could see the full thread title in forums view (I think it was him), so this is to me a step backwards.

The thread items are 2 lines by default and can still be wrapped.
vs

superunknown posted:

Thank you for this!
Where on the phone do the edited .css files go?

create a folder "awful" on your sd card / internal memory

jiffynuts posted:

Liking the new update, but one small issue I've seen so far. On my Nexus 7 (v2) when I rotate the app into landscape mode the screen blanks out and I loose all the posts (or the forums if I'm at that level). Rotating it back only seems to fix it once in a while, most times it remains blank. I usually have to quit out and go back into the app to get things working again. Other than that, the new look and feel is great. :)

That should not be happening. Do you have any crazy roms installed?

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

So I've been fiddling around today making a DarkSpank theme. It's looking cool but for some reason it only affects the view within threads. the bookmarks and forum views are all light grey like the classic theme for some reason. Any idea why that is?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

spanky the dolphin posted:

So I've been fiddling around today making a DarkSpank theme. It's looking cool but for some reason it only affects the view within threads. the bookmarks and forum views are all light grey like the classic theme for some reason. Any idea why that is?

Forum view theming isn't in yet, not sure how to do it well at the moment. You can apply the colors of the standard themes by calling your file myawesometheme.dark.css (or yospos, amberpos, classic), leaving it out defaults to, well, default.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Sereri posted:

Forum view theming isn't in yet, not sure how to do it well at the moment. You can apply the colors of the standard themes by calling your file myawesometheme.dark.css (or yospos, amberpos, classic), leaving it out defaults to, well, default.

Ah, great. That works.

Behold:

Spanking in the Dark

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

vs
I still just hate it. There's no reason the thread title, which is really the thing I care most about should be squished to the middle and thread icon (which is banner shaped already) can't be underneath with all the metadata about the thread itself. I don't like that it makes fewer threads visible at once and I don't like how much importance it gives to the thread icon which I don't really care about.

That said I know I'm in the minority but if it were to become the default I'd just disable the thread icons to have the additional title text room back.

On a different note, more than a few times now I've clicked Last Read instead of Quote when trying to quote someone. I kind of wish those were switched so that Quote is easier to click (admittedly that's a right-handed point of view).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'd just like to say thanks for putting a Report Post button in the app. The shitposter I spotted probably won't, though.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sereri posted:

vs

If you're open to redoing the attractive new posts indicator so it's smaller (and less attractive), and use a slightly smaller font to make the lines shorter, you could probably save a bunch of vertical space, like zis

I only did the first two, just a janky moving around in Photoshop but you get the idea - icon on the left, then on the right you get the thread title up top and a line of info stuff below, sort of like it is right now! Really it's taking the space reserved for the unread posts marker and moving it to the other side for the thread tag.

The second thread has the text shrunk to 90% to fit longer lines in. The unread marker does fit but it might look better tweaked. If you're up for this kind of thing.

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 27, 2013

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Ah, great. That works.

Behold:

Spanking in the Dark

Downloading this fails every time for me. I'm going to try it from my laptop.

Edit: fails there too

XIII fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 27, 2013

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sereri posted:

I have hunch of why it is, but not how it happened. Did you follow any links to that or anything?

Now that you mention it, yes I think I was following a link from another thread in the Awful app.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

Sereri posted:

That should not be happening. Do you have any crazy roms installed?

Not that I'm aware of. Just standard app stuff you get off the play store. I'll try deleting and reinstalling the app and power cycling my nexus.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

XIII posted:

Downloading this fails every time for me. I'm going to try it from my laptop.

Edit: fails there too

Use this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/250537/Awful/spanking_in_the.dark.css

I was hoping to get consistent colors for highlights but I guess yellow does look terrible on dark themes.

Internet Explorer posted:

Now that you mention it, yes I think I was following a link from another thread in the Awful app.
Anything else? Still can't get the app to do it.

baka kaba posted:

If you're open to redoing the attractive new posts indicator so it's smaller (and less attractive), and use a slightly smaller font to make the lines shorter, you could probably save a bunch of vertical space, like zis

I only did the first two, just a janky moving around in Photoshop but you get the idea - icon on the left, then on the right you get the thread title up top and a line of info stuff below, sort of like it is right now! Really it's taking the space reserved for the unread posts marker and moving it to the other side for the thread tag.

The second thread has the text shrunk to 90% to fit longer lines in. The unread marker does fit but it might look better tweaked. If you're up for this kind of thing.
Not too happy about the unread counter.

Here's a look at where the icons come from

Oh well maybe I can make choosing old/new possible after all.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 27, 2013

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Sereri posted:

See in the Settings if "always open links" is active. I don't think that links have ever required a long press.

Turning off the 'always open links' option now gives me a popup with sharing / copying. I just figured you'd want to stay with the general 'one press to open, long press for copy / share options' design all apps have for links. I think the old awful betamax had that.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Turning off the 'always open links' option now gives me a popup with sharing / copying. I just figured you'd want to stay with the general 'one press to open, long press for copy / share options' design all apps have for links. I think the old awful betamax had that.

Long press in the thread view hasn't been a thing since OG Awful switched to the webview, so around 2 years.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sereri posted:

Oh well maybe I can make choosing old/new possible after all.

That's so android of you! Us iOS types just make the change and say "deal with it our opinion is perfect! :) "

Honestly though stuff like cramming things together to save a line or two usually isn't worth it. Your users are going to scroll if they're interested in the list, having say 5 threads visible on load vs. 6 is not really that significant or worth hurting aesthetics.

I know with the iOS app it looks like we have less text available for thread titles. However:

1) I don't think anyone has ever missed out on what a thread is because of the truncated titled

2) if they ate interest in the full title text they can tap and hold on a title to get a pop up action sheet which does display the full title text.

3) I just think the squares fit our Mobil limited width better. It's a more pleasing design to me then show horning in more text around the tag.

4) Low res tags looked like poo poo the one build we tried them in on retina display devices.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Sereri posted:

Use this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/250537/Awful/spanking_in_the.dark.css
I was hoping to get consistent colors for highlights but I guess yellow does look terrible on dark themes.

Yeah it always ends up becoming a mucky vomity brown.

I noticed that with this theme the 3 vertical dots on each post are gone - it would probably have something to do with this file path in the css I'd imagine?:

ul.postoptions .more {
background-image:url(../images/ic_menu_more.png);
}

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

LastInLine posted:

I still just hate it. There's no reason the thread title, which is really the thing I care most about should be squished to the middle and thread icon (which is banner shaped already) can't be underneath with all the metadata about the thread itself. I don't like that it makes fewer threads visible at once and I don't like how much importance it gives to the thread icon which I don't really care about.

That said I know I'm in the minority but if it were to become the default I'd just disable the thread icons to have the additional title text room back.

Thanks for saying this much better than I could have. Thread tags have very limited function. Please don't make them more prominent at the expense of the title text.

Some ios devs may care more about being ornamental, but users on small phone screens are better served by showing the full text, the thing that actually changes from thread to thread. Without having to jump through hoops.

It's good to know that the title text can still be wrapped.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sereri posted:

Not too happy about the unread counter.

Well I just moved it, I didn't actually change it. I was thinking some kind of redesign that would better suit it being in the 'status line' or whatever. Like as an example

Really it's more that horizontal space is at a premium, and you have a large area (with a lot of empty space) dedicated to that one counter. Sure it looks nice, but it costs ya

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Yeah it always ends up becoming a mucky vomity brown.

I noticed that with this theme the 3 vertical dots on each post are gone - it would probably have something to do with this file path in the css I'd imagine?:

ul.postoptions .more {
background-image:url(../images/ic_menu_more.png);
}

Yeah, I had to change those paths to make it work for the test page. The path on the phone is "file:///android_asset/images/".

The Dave posted:

That's so android of you! Us iOS types just make the change and say "deal with it our opinion is perfect! :) "

Honestly though stuff like cramming things together to save a line or two usually isn't worth it. Your users are going to scroll if they're interested in the list, having say 5 threads visible on load vs. 6 is not really that significant or worth hurting aesthetics.

I know with the iOS app it looks like we have less text available for thread titles. However:

1) I don't think anyone has ever missed out on what a thread is because of the truncated titled

2) if they ate interest in the full title text they can tap and hold on a title to get a pop up action sheet which does display the full title text.

3) I just think the squares fit our Mobil limited width better. It's a more pleasing design to me then show horning in more text around the tag.

4) Low res tags looked like poo poo the one build we tried them in on retina display devices.

You guys have it a bit easier to go deal with it. I mean I look at your settings menu and you guys have 7 options in it, 3 more in the thread view. We have an option to add a third way of going to the next page.

The variety of devices is another thing. The reason I would leave the old view in is that, because of the way I need to access the big tags, they take up more memory and in combination with the gif stopper (which you guys don't need because apples webkit handles gifs better-ish) crashes the app.

And I mean I just took out a very comfortable but terrible coded styling option.

The big tags will come and they will be the default version but there will be a fall-back.

I just checked and as of yesterday , 10% of our installs (by 5% of the users) were still on an obsolete release (now 2 versions behind instead of just 1). :negative:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hey santa baby posted:

Thanks for saying this much better than I could have. Thread tags have very limited function. Please don't make them more prominent at the expense of the title text.
If the unread tags were to move down to the line with OP/LP/pages then there's basically the same amount of space for the title as there is on the current version. See baka kaba's mockup above.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

Here's a look at where the icons come from

For what it's worth, this looks way worse than than Awful.apk in every way.

Tunga posted:

If the unread tags were to move down to the line with OP/LP/pages then there's basically the same amount of space for the title as there is on the current version. See baka kaba's mockup above.
For me, and again I might be the vocal minority, the point is that baka kaba is right when he says horizontal space is at a premium and currently horizontal space is devoted to the only two pieces of information I give a poo poo about: title and unread count. Why would I want to trade one of those for anything, particularly the piece of metadata that care least about (since I probably already know what the thread is about since, you know, I've read it)?

It's really heavy ornamentation on something that neither needs it nor does anything to improve readability or usage. Worse that that, I think it's ornamentation that also happens to be extremely ugly but I'll admit that's subjective.

The Dave posted:

Maybe our OSes just have us brainwashed out of what to expect in app design. When I see the Awful.apk shots I'm completely turned off by it visually and appreciate Awful.app more. However Awful.app is pretty standard iOS in design.
That's definitely true. iOS6 and older has always looked terrible to me even when they were new though I quite like iOS7's aesthetic.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 27, 2013

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

LastInLine posted:

For what it's worth, this looks way worse than than Awful.apk in every way.

Maybe our OSes just have us brainwashed out of what to expect in app design. When I see the Awful.apk shots I'm completely turned off by it visually and appreciate Awful.app more. However Awful.app is pretty standard iOS in design.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth I think Awful (Android) looks kind of silly on the default theme. Sort of childish somehow. The blue and white gives it a kind of edutainment look. And those iOS screenshots have the same effect on me.

With a dark theme Android looks excellent though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tunga posted:

For what it's worth I think Awful (Android) looks kind of silly on the default theme. Sort of childish somehow. The blue and white gives it a kind of edutainment look. And those iOS screenshots have the same effect on me.

That's how I feel about iOS UI in general. The blues and whites feel childish and 2005 to me.

FWIW, I'm with LastInLine. I don't understand why you'd devote so much screen space to something as relatively unimportant as thread tags.

That being said, the only reason I said anything was so he didn't feel lonely, otherwise it's not important enough to me to have even brought it up.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

That's how I feel about iOS UI in general. The blues and whites feel childish and 2005 to me.

FWIW, I'm with LastInLine. I don't understand why you'd devote so much screen space to something as relatively unimportant as thread tags.

That being said, the only reason I said anything was so he didn't feel lonely, otherwise it's not important enough to me to have even brought it up.
Everyone gets lonely sometimes.

I agree it's not important and I could certainly live it but it just seems like such a bad change to make. If it always had the large thread tags it probably wouldn't bother me.

I definitely don't agree with Tunga (something I don't like to do since he's right most of the time) on the default theme though, I think it's pretty much perfect even on my AMOLED screen.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Really minor thing I noticed, when you swipe left and right between the different views, it's super slick and smooth until you swipe back to the main forum list. There's this tiny glitch partway through that makes it catch. I looked at the logcat and I see this happening
code:
09-27 17:47:09.657: I/ForumsIndex(8424): Load Index Cursor
09-27 17:47:09.688: V/ForumsIndex(8424): Index cursor: 944
I can't profile it but I'm guessing this is what's causing it to pause? It's weird because swiping to a subforum view is completely smooth, the main forum view almost never changes but it has that stutter every time

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I noticed an error in the Marvel Heroes thread that started after this guy posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=110569

After his first post here, text is all italic, quote doesn't work on other users, and you can't even click the menu button on his name

Since it's turning text italic I assume it has something to do with the <I in his title text.

He doesn't post very often, but I found another to test it and same deal here.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I also think similar things about the desktop version of SA, so there's that.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I like the big thread tags. But I was going crazy when even the little thread tags weren't showing up. For whatever reason I navigate the forums much better when there are tags. And the bigger ones look nicer to me.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Sereri posted:

I loaded the thread where things broke from the Bookmarks view. It was loading really slowly, and I swiped between thread and bookmark view a few times, refreshed things and eventually got that mess.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

baka kaba posted:

Really minor thing I noticed, when you swipe left and right between the different views, it's super slick and smooth until you swipe back to the main forum list. There's this tiny glitch partway through that makes it catch. I looked at the logcat and I see this happening
code:
09-27 17:47:09.657: I/ForumsIndex(8424): Load Index Cursor
09-27 17:47:09.688: V/ForumsIndex(8424): Index cursor: 944
I can't profile it but I'm guessing this is what's causing it to pause? It's weird because swiping to a subforum view is completely smooth, the main forum view almost never changes but it has that stutter every time

I know exactly what you mean and what line is causing it, I just don't know if that line is important for something which is why I always let it be. If SD is reading this, it's the Loader in the ForumIndexFragment's onPageVisible().

Aphrodite posted:

I noticed an error in the Marvel Heroes thread that started after this guy posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=110569

After his first post here, text is all italic, quote doesn't work on other users, and you can't even click the menu button on his name

Since it's turning text italic I assume it has something to do with the <I in his title text.

He doesn't post very often, but I found another to test it and same deal here.

You're exactly right. What a weird bug. I'll try to think of something.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Any way to disable this?

http://i.imgur.com/epoCBxZ.png

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Sereri posted:

I know exactly what you mean and what line is causing it, I just don't know if that line is important for something which is why I always let it be. If SD is reading this, it's the Loader in the ForumIndexFragment's onPageVisible().

Hmm, we can remove that if we add a ContentObserver to monitor the index data and trigger a refresh if anything changes. That line is there to cover a really rare case when the user is browsing a forum and discovers a new subforum. Normally restarting the loader isn't that big of a performance hit, since the cursor is created in a background thread. However, the index uses a tree listview library that is somewhat inefficient, so it's probably better to not restart that unless we really need to.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Possibly, what is 'this'?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sereri posted:

Possibly, what is 'this'?

Thread view and post view being side by side. I liked the previous version where categories and the thread view where their tile and post view was a separate tile.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Isn't the plan to eventually use the left side pullout menu for the forums listing? Obviously that's probably a ways from being implemented but it would solve the problem.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

SlayVus posted:

Thread view and post view being side by side. I liked the previous version where categories and the thread view where their tile and post view was a separate tile.

That's not possible anymore since we broke those two into 2 different views, they were one combined before.

LastInLine posted:

Isn't the plan to eventually use the left side pullout menu for the forums listing? Obviously that's probably a ways from being implemented but it would solve the problem.

The problem is that we have a 3 level hierarchy. Even if you put the forums into a sidebar, you still got the threads and the thread view in the viewpager. And the use is virtually identical so you can just leave it where it is.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

The problem is that we have a 3 level hierarchy. Even if you put the forums into a sidebar, you still got the threads and the thread view in the viewpager. And the use is virtually identical so you can just leave it where it is.
Thread view card UI?

Giant thread tags in place of the avatar and the three dot menu for options, metadata where the post date is. Bam problem solved. :v:

e: I posted that as a joke and now rereading I think it sounds kind of cool. Android is poisoning my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I liked the big thread tag images because having those small images on an already small display made them hard to read. A user shouldn't be expected to know what the tags look like from the desktop view.