Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
My galaxy nexus has horrible problems with loading images. Sometimes they will load, more often not. Sometimes if I refresh a page they will load, but not always. I don't have any problems with the app on me nook.

Clearing the app data helps for a short time but eventually it breaks again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Sereri posted:

Yeah, I had to change those paths to make it work for the test page. The path on the phone is "file:///android_asset/images/".

Cool, this worked. One question - spoilers with this theme are showing the white text through the greyed out spoiler block. The css appears to be telling the text to be invisible if you haven't pressed the spoiler tag. How do I fix this? Or would it be easier to just make the spoiler block white, the same as the text?

code:
section.postcontent .bbc-spoiler{
background: #969696;
}

section.postcontent .bbc-spoiler * {
visibility: hidden;
}

section.postcontent .bbc-spoiler.spoiled {
background: transparent;
}

section.postcontent .bbc-spoiler.spoiled * {
visibility: visible;
}

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Khisanth Magus posted:

My galaxy nexus has horrible problems with loading images. Sometimes they will load, more often not. Sometimes if I refresh a page they will load, but not always. I don't have any problems with the app on me nook.

Clearing the app data helps for a short time but eventually it breaks again.

All images or just attachments? Regular images load fine on my Galaxy Nexus but attachments and emoticons are hit or miss.
And clearing data only temporarily fixes it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Aleph Null posted:

All images or just attachments? Regular images load fine on my Galaxy Nexus but attachments and emoticons are hit or miss.

I have problems with all images, even thread icons.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Khisanth Magus posted:

I have problems with all images, even thread icons.
Can you change whatever network you're connecting to? Like if you're on wifi, get off wifi. If you're on 3G/4G, get on wifi.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
Is there a way to set it to fully switch screens to the bookmarks/forum list like it used to? My tablet is kinda big, and I’d rather only have to pull left once.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

anthonypants posted:

Can you change whatever network you're connecting to? Like if you're on wifi, get off wifi. If you're on 3G/4G, get on wifi.

I rarely use my phone on WiFi as I usually use my tablet at home, but I will play around with my phone tonight on the WiFi.

LT.CrownRoast
Mar 20, 2009

by XyloJW
I haven't run into any huge issues with the latest update and I love the new pull to refresh method. Nice job dev(s). Thanks!

HTC One + CM 10.2

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

jiffynuts posted:

Liking the new update, but one small issue I've seen so far. On my Nexus 7 (v2) when I rotate the app into landscape mode the screen blanks out and I loose all the posts (or the forums if I'm at that level). Rotating it back only seems to fix it once in a while, most times it remains blank. I usually have to quit out and go back into the app to get things working again. Other than that, the new look and feel is great. :)

I also had this just happen, but it was on a Kindle which is flashed with CM10.2, so it just might be this crappy excuse for a tablet. It happened when my tablet slipped from my hand and went into tablet mode(I was in the regular mode) and I immediately tilted it back before it finished loading. Everything was blank, even through a refresh until I navigated back to the main forum view.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there a "classic dark" theme? Dark just looks like every post is quoted, making the readable column of text barely 2" wide, and classic burns my retinas at night...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Also I can't get "pull for next page" to work, unless I'm an idiot of some sort.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
It seems if I use a post's three dot menu to quote someone and post, the next time I try to access a different post's three dot menu it just won't register any touch on the icon. If I jiggle the screen after failing to open it, it suddenly works again.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I did a good amount of browsing on my galaxy nexus tonight on WiFi, so the image problem I have seems to be limited to non-wifi, and seems to be most common when I'm on a 3g signal.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Hadlock posted:

Is there a "classic dark" theme? Dark just looks like every post is quoted, making the readable column of text barely 2" wide, and classic burns my retinas at night...

This. Love what you guys are doing with the app, but I already miss my dark nighttime reading theme.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

I did a good amount of browsing on my galaxy nexus tonight on WiFi, so the image problem I have seems to be limited to non-wifi, and seems to be most common when I'm on a 3g signal.

Can you turn of the GIF-disable option and let me know how it acts?

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Tadhg posted:

This. Love what you guys are doing with the app, but I already miss my dark nighttime reading theme.

I'm sure it'll be back soon (or something functionally similar). For now try YOSPOS green or amberpos; refined themes for discerning posters.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

For those wanting a dark theme, I've been working on this one.

I've adjusted the edge padding a wee bit in here too and fixed the spoiler display from my last one.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
What I wish it could do was choose the theme based on what the ambient light sensor reports when you first open the app. I really like the default theme a lot but at night I'd prefer it to be something dark athough unfortunately I don't prefer it enough to actually change it.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

LastInLine posted:

What I wish it could do was choose the theme based on what the ambient light sensor reports when you first open the app. I really like the default theme a lot but at night I'd prefer it to be something dark athough unfortunately I don't prefer it enough to actually change it.

I was thinking the same thing last night, but thought perhaps it could use use the time of day to trigger the change.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

spanky the dolphin posted:

Cool, this worked. One question - spoilers with this theme are showing the white text through the greyed out spoiler block. The css appears to be telling the text to be invisible if you haven't pressed the spoiler tag. How do I fix this? Or would it be easier to just make the spoiler block white, the same as the text?

Yeah that's a bit weird. Apparently * doesn't work for elements without tags inside it (so text). Just change the background-color tag to white.

Aleph Null posted:

If anything, you only need to clear the app's cache.

Mrit posted:

I also had this just happen, but it was on a Kindle which is flashed with CM10.2, so it just might be this crappy excuse for a tablet. It happened when my tablet slipped from my hand and went into tablet mode(I was in the regular mode) and I immediately tilted it back before it finished loading. Everything was blank, even through a refresh until I navigated back to the main forum view.
Ok, I'll give tilting while loading a try.

Geirskogul posted:

Also I can't get "pull for next page" to work, unless I'm an idiot of some sort.
If you pull to refresh when not on the last page, it will load the next page. The label is just wrong. I'm working on this but it had the same problems as the PfB and will appear in the other views in certain cases. Soon.

Khisanth Magus posted:

You don't have the 3g-images option on by any chance?

Ricardio
Dec 3, 2012

Completely Consensual
Gnex user here. I'm having the image issue as well. Clearing cache doesn't help. Refreshing doesn't help.
Doesn't matter if I'm using WiFi or data, all I get is text.

Edit: If I clear data it works properly for a few minutes of browsing.

Ricardio fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 28, 2013

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

I've adjusted the edge padding a wee bit in here too and fixed the spoiler display from my last one.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious. How do I actually apply this theme? I noticed you or someone said to make a folder "Awful" in the internal memory and throw it in there.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RVProfootballer posted:

I noticed you or someone said to make a folder "Awful" in the internal memory and throw it in there.

That's correct. Once it's in that folder the name should show up in the theme selector.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

nimper posted:

That's correct. Once it's in that folder the name should show up in the theme selector.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong :( Tried clearing cache, then tried clearing data. Nexus 4, 4.3 stock, if it matters, though it sounds like I'm just doing something wrong since no one else mentioned having an issue.

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart

RVProfootballer posted:

Not sure what I'm doing wrong :( Tried clearing cache, then tried clearing data. Nexus 4, 4.3 stock, if it matters, though it sounds like I'm just doing something wrong since no one else mentioned having an issue.

Needs to be all lower case "awful" for it to work. I like the spanky.dark.css, thanks for doing that.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Try making it lowercase awful.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
That did it, thanks guys. I appreciate it! Also thanks for the app everyone and the theme spanky.

E: Never mind, I think spanky's theme just has read posts as the same color as the new dark theme. I'm dumb.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 28, 2013

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
I don't normally have auto-orientation turned on so I hadn't noticed before, but if you switch from portrait to landscape and back, the page view resets back to the top if the current thread page. Is this intended behavior?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Heresiarch posted:

I don't normally have auto-orientation turned on so I hadn't noticed before, but if you switch from portrait to landscape and back, the page view resets back to the top if the current thread page. Is this intended behavior?

That sounds like a less than ideal user experience, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it probably shouldn't be that way. And I know for sure that there's a way to properly maintain a ListView position across activity recreation: http://blog.denevell.org/android-save-list-position-rotation-backpress.html

I finally made a Github account and checked out the Awful code, so I'm going to start taking a look at it myself and hopefully making some contributions. I half-assed an Android code challenge for a company who almost immediately thereafter offered me a $140,000 job (which I turned down for a couple different reasons), so my Android programming ego is a bit puffed up at the moment :v:

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Heresiarch posted:

It's not necessarily the top of the page; if you came into the thread through a "last read" link, it resets the view to the post you linked in on. Also agreeing that it's probably not intended.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

How do I get this to work on my phone? What I mean is: every time I click the link and try to view it in a browser or even in the Google Drive app, it just displays the text of the .css file. It does not give me any options to download the file to save it.

Edit: downloaded it on my laptop, saved it as an attachment to an email in drafts, opened email on phone, saved file to /sdcard/awful
success
thanks

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 29, 2013

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Aleph Null posted:

How do I get this to work on my phone? What I mean is: every time I click the link and try to view it in a browser or even in the Google Drive app, it just displays the text of the .css file. It does not give me any options to download the file to save it.

Hmm, I'm not sure about on your mobile. I tested it out on my desktop chrome and it gave an option to download the css file in one of the menus.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Aleph Null posted:

Edit: downloaded it on my laptop, saved it as an attachment to an email in drafts, opened email on phone, saved file to /sdcard/awful
success
thanks

Not the most graceful option, but I just highlighted the whole thing, copied it, then pasted it into a new text file in the proper folder.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Aleph Null posted:

success
thanks

Mobile Browser Settings -> Request Desktop Site -> File -> Download

I'm a bit tossed on it myself. After using it for some time, I like the New Dark theme but wish it had just a touch more contrast, not the High Contrast experience from Spanky's. One thing I think would really help is making the thread list colors match the in-thread colors, so there isn't that jarring jump (although maybe that's intentional?). As for the thread icons, I suspect it's a matter of how you use the app and your browsing habits. I think they're actually quite important when you're hunting for a particular thread in a list; your eye filters color blobs in a scrolling column much faster than parsing text. Personally, I would say the majority of my phone browsing is reading backlogs of bookmarked megathreads, where the sorted-by-killed is probably more hindrance than help and the icons help make that search easier when I know which one I want to read right now. Conversely, if you're someone who mostly just stays at the tail end of threads where the thread list is already sorted for you then they're essentially useless and a waste of space.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The "last refreshed..." Time appears to be missing from the pull to refresh GUI element. I actually use this quite a bit it turns out. Especially when my connection is spotty, like near the elevators in my office.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sereri posted:

Anything else? Still can't get the app to do it.

Sereri -

Actually, it just happened to me after replying to the thread. Is there anything I can do to help you troubleshoot it? I have a rooted Galaxy Nexus running stock. I think I can do whatever fancy logging is available.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Internet Explorer posted:

Sereri -

Actually, it just happened to me after replying to the thread. Is there anything I can do to help you troubleshoot it? I have a rooted Galaxy Nexus running stock. I think I can do whatever fancy logging is available.

If you could get a logcat of it happening, that would (probably) help a lot. If you're rooted, the simple alogcat app from the market should work. If not, use the adb from the Android SDK or this thing and do "adb logcat > /sdcard/logcat.txt"

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3525590&pagenumber=550&perpage=40

I was not able to reveal any of the spoilers on this page with my tablet.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Just had a new problem with my galaxy nexus. For some reason the app stopped using any CSS for thread viewing and then wouldn't load threads at all until I cleared the app data.

As for the image problem, it continues to happen periodically, and the only image losing setting I can find is load images on WiFi only and that is not selected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Khisanth Magus posted:

Just had a new problem with my galaxy nexus. For some reason the app stopped using any CSS for thread viewing and then wouldn't load threads at all until I cleared the app data.

As for the image problem, it continues to happen periodically, and the only image losing setting I can find is load images on WiFi only and that is not selected.

While I still haven't been able to recreate this, SD fixed this bug yesterday. It'll be in the next patch that'll be out very soon. Unless the Android fragment/activity lifecycle makes me want to kill myself first that is.