Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Sereri posted:

While I still haven't been able to recreate this, SD fixed this bug yesterday. It'll be in the next patch that'll be out very soon. Unless the Android fragment/activity lifecycle makes me want to kill myself first that is.

Great to hear, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Sereri posted:

While I still haven't been able to recreate this, SD fixed this bug yesterday. It'll be in the next patch that'll be out very soon. Unless the Android fragment/activity lifecycle makes me want to kill myself first that is.

Uh, the bug I fixed was rotation on 7" tablets messing things up. I don't think the CSS problem is related.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ah, I thought it was this:

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Salvador Dalvik posted:

Uh, the bug I fixed was rotation on 7" tablets messing things up. I don't think the CSS problem is related.

Awesome, so happy this has been fixed! It happened again today.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I finally did what I wanted to do and pushed 3.0.1 out into beta and you'll get it as soon as google feels like it.

A bunch of different bugs were fixed. See if your bug is gone and if not, create an issue here.

Again, if creating an account in <30 seconds is too :effort: for you, use AnAwfulUser:thispasswordneeds1digit .

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
The latest update fixed the rotate-resets-page thing. Thanks.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Disabling pull-for-next in settings disables pull-for-refresh and not pull-for-next, on a Note 2.

E: This is probably expected behaviour, and I'm probably just whiny. In the event that you did, in fact, want pull-to-refresh and pull-for-next separately handled, there's my report. They were definitely separate functions in betamax.

There's been a lot of ptr discussion that almost certainly contained the entirety of my question, so I'll get back to reading it.

Thanks!

ArcMage fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 1, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Any reason why, since I used the 'go to the awful app thread' once yesterday, it's loading this thread by default when I pull the app up again?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Any reason why, since I used the 'go to the awful app thread' once yesterday, it's loading this thread by default when I pull the app up again?

I mentioned this bug in the old thread, pre-3.0. I'm surprised to see that it hasn't been fixed yet. Sereri said that it's caused by a second instance of Awful being opened, and a workaround for the issue is to hit the back button until you get out of the app, which should close that instance.

I guess if it's still not fixed in trunk, I'll take a crack at it when I get home from work.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Thanks again for the app, it just keeps improving. I did basic Java work in the mid-2000s, don't remember much for programming purposes though. Might join the beta.

Spanky, thanks for that theme. I haven't built a website since my programming days, but I can tweak your setup to be perfect for my OLED phone (GSM G-Nexus).

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
Loving the new card style layout, makes it really easy to read. Couple of issues though.

It seems pull to refresh on bookmarks screen is disabled now? Any particular reason? I used that a lot in betamax.

And when I refresh a thread I'm reading, it still shows posts I've just read as new posts, and I have to scroll down to find where was the post I was at when I refreshed. If that makes sense. Maybe I'm missing something and this behaviour is intentional as well? But I have never noticed it in Betamax or a browser.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

WienerDog posted:

It seems pull to refresh on bookmarks screen is disabled now? Any particular reason? I used that a lot in betamax.
It's a known bug. The pull to refresh code still thinks you're in thread view so watches for the pull event at the bottom of the bookmarks list. Try it! (It's allegedly fixed in the next version)

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

nimper posted:

It's a known bug. The pull to refresh code still thinks you're in thread view so watches for the pull event at the bottom of the bookmarks list. Try it! (It's allegedly fixed in the next version)

Good to hear. Interestingly enough, when I swiped back to bookmarks after initially reading the quoted post, P2R worked as intended.
And another thread I was reading just now didn't exhibit the other issue I mentioned in my first post, but I know I experienced it while reading the MLB gameday thread yesterday.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm getting a weird bug recently. It seems fairly reproduce able for me by just refreshing bookmarks and loading a thread. All the posts, or all the posts beyond what is initially in view, at least, are unreadable:

Refreshing from the bottom refresh button (but not p2r) works a lot of time to clear it up. I've found that hitting the more dots on a post will clear it up always.

I didn't try stopping the app or clearing data or anything but I'm guessing it would fix it. I'm seeing it on wifi and I saw it before on data (when the screen shot was taken)

Also I tried to post about it before and attach the image and the post didn't happen at all. Does attaching work?

myron cope fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 2, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Your image URL is missing the extension:

Try resetting your theme settings by changing to a different one (and then back again, if you want).

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3520914&pagenumber=577&perpage=40

I was unable to click any links on that page or the the dots.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I just had an interesting experience on the market version of the app:

I caught up on the last 4 or so pages of a fast moving thread. When I got to the end of the last page, I pulled to refresh to check for more posts. For whatever reason, the app kept sending me to the middle of the page's old posts, but they were still colored as though unread. The posts at the top were properly colored as read.

Eventually I scrolled to the last post and manually marked it as last read, and hopped back over to my bookmarks. When that loaded, I saw that the thread I was just in had -20 unread posts. When the bookmarks page reloaded, everything was fine again.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Nth Doctor posted:

I caught up on the last 4 or so pages of a fast moving thread. When I got to the end of the last page, I pulled to refresh to check for more posts. For whatever reason, the app kept sending me to the middle of the page's old posts, but they were still colored as though unread. The posts at the top were properly colored as read.

Eventually I scrolled to the last post and manually marked it as last read, and hopped back over to my bookmarks. When that loaded, I saw that the thread I was just in had -20 unread posts. When the bookmarks page reloaded, everything was fine again.

This happens to me ALL OF THE TIME. I'll go to the next page of a thread and it drops me somewhere in the middle or at the end of the page. Even happens on my bookmarks page, or in any forum's page. On both my Epic 4G and Note 10.1 8013

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

Geirskogul posted:

This happens to me ALL OF THE TIME. I'll go to the next page of a thread and it drops me somewhere in the middle or at the end of the page. Even happens on my bookmarks page, or in any forum's page. On both my Epic 4G and Note 10.1 8013

Do either of you have posts-per-page set to anything other than 40 on either app or forums?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Salvador Dalvik posted:

Do either of you have posts-per-page set to anything other than 40 on either app or forums?

Not me.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
I was wrong, the thing where rotating your device causes it to reset to the top of a thread page is still there. It's not doing it all the time, though, and I can't figure out what makes it happen. Is it happening for anybody else, and if so, do you know how to replicate it? I'll put in a bug report once I know how to reliably make it happen.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Salvador Dalvik posted:

Nope, all default settings on the new app.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Got an occasional recurring problem with the current version. Every now and again I become unable to open anything in the post header; clicking the main section doesn't reveal the custom text, clicking the button doesn't give the Quote/Last Read/More options. This persists until I exit the thread.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jedit posted:

Got an occasional recurring problem with the current version. Every now and again I become unable to open anything in the post header; clicking the main section doesn't reveal the custom text, clicking the button doesn't give the Quote/Last Read/More options. This persists until I exit the thread.
Same here. Sometimes the ⋮ simply does not work on posts. I can scroll but no post's ⋮ will bring up the bar. I've gotten it to work by waiting or turning the screen off and unlocking the phone again. I've never had to exit the thread to get it working.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I changed my settings to be 20 posts per page instead of 40, and that seems to have helped my unresponsive spoilers and links issues.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I had to switch back to Betamax today (the latest apk I could find is 2.4.3). This version just has way too many problems for me to deal with. At first I just didn't like the new UI but after using it for awhile, it seems like a lot of the core functionality is very broken. At first it was small things like tapping avatars not doing anything and then pull-to-refresh would randomly stop working and now, about half the time it tells me it couldn't load the page. :(

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

...! posted:

I had to switch back to Betamax today (the latest apk I could find is 2.4.3). This version just has way too many problems for me to deal with. At first I just didn't like the new UI but after using it for awhile, it seems like a lot of the core functionality is very broken. At first it was small things like tapping avatars not doing anything and then pull-to-refresh would randomly stop working and now, about half the time it tells me it couldn't load the page. :(

I plan to make a low-tech gif replacer over the weekend. I suspect this will solve like 70% of the problems people are having.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 3, 2013

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Sereri posted:

I plan to make a low-tech gif replacer over the weekend. I suspect this will solve like 70% of the problems people are having.

I'm going to ask a stupid question: why not a fixed-list replace of the known animating gif smilies with pre-stopped ones? There can't be that many, right?
You could have a background thread scrape the processed html after it's been displayed to find gifs with multiple frames and upload the urls back to you (with an opt-out option), so you could iteratively expand the list from user feedback.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Just ran into the css problem again. This time on my nook tablet. However, because it was on my tablet, I was able to use my phone to take some pictures of it to better explain what I mean by it.

As you can see, the menu and such are just shown as lists. No images seem to load either. I was able to fix it by backing completely out of the app and restarting it, but it is somewhat annoying.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

The current g+ beta has just stopped loading thread icons and avatars. Force stop and clearing the app data hasn't fixed it, either, so I have no idea what happened.

[edit] And of course, right after posting, it fixed itself. I am confused now.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Don't laugh, but I have just upgraded my Jiayu G3 to the latest MIUI rom based on Android 4.2.2. I realize this is a fairly esoteric combination, but most apps work without a flaw. The Awful app crashes on startup though, giving a NullReferenceException when it tries to launch the activity. It used to work on the same device with the stock Android 4.0.4 ROM.

I noticed in the code you use Bugsense, so maybe you're already right on top of things :) But is there a place where I can send any debug logging, or should I file a GitHub issue?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Sagacity posted:

Don't laugh, but I have just upgraded my Jiayu G3 to the latest MIUI rom based on Android 4.2.2. I realize this is a fairly esoteric combination, but most apps work without a flaw. The Awful app crashes on startup though, giving a NullReferenceException when it tries to launch the activity. It used to work on the same device with the stock Android 4.0.4 ROM.

I noticed in the code you use Bugsense, so maybe you're already right on top of things :) But is there a place where I can send any debug logging, or should I file a GitHub issue?

It's crashing the appcompat support library somehow. Definately the rom. I can pm you the stacktrace if you need it.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Is the UCP in Betamax not autoreloading when opened a known issue?

If not, it's been happening since the new version on my stock 4.1.2 HTC One.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Betamax is the old version now.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Alright, I've finished dicking with this thing. Here it is for anyone who wants a slightly more colorful version of spanky's dark theme.

Full credit to spanky for his edited dark.css, and free use to anyone.

Theme here.

Screenshot:

May you have joy of it.
:shobon:

E, f: Twice, it wrapped url tags around urls inside of other tags, resulting in incorrect behaviour of a timg and a url with text other than the link itself. Dunno if that can be helped.

ArcMage fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 6, 2013

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

anthonypants posted:

Betamax is the old version now.

Sorry, it wasn't Betamax. I forgot that I switched to the main one.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Sereri posted:

It's crashing the appcompat support library somehow. Definately the rom. I can pm you the stacktrace if you need it.
Yes, please. It's not something I can probably do a lot about, but it won't hurt to take a look.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Whenever I make a post it won't redirect me to the last page but to an empty one and it will look something like this: 1604/835

So basically a page way ahead of the last one. It's only a minor inconvenience though.

Today I noticed another one: I can make posts with Umlauts in them no problem, but when I go back and edit my post they will get hosed up and look like this: Motörhead

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The app seems to have gone all weird on me today.

I couldn't view anything in a thread except emoticons. and the blue names of posters. The rest of the screen is black (I'm using dark theme).

Switching to default theme allowed me to see posts as well but the layout is all over the shop. Peoples avatars are copied five time across the screen and "mark, quote, more" now look like a quoted post and I can't differentiate the words from peoples posts.

Nexus 4 if it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'm having a lot of trouble with spoilers, most if the time when I tap on then they don't reveal. A lot of the time they'll flash blue momentarily (dark theme), but still not reveal. I'm trying to read a CD thread and I'm not able to see like half of it. :(

E: may only be on, my GNex, doesn't seem to be happening on my N7 yet.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 7, 2013