Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Great that this show is still on the air. It is like bliss when I catch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coulrophobia
Oct 11, 2012
Aside from that completely :psyduck: promotional poster where Crowley was somehow half as tall as a church, I'm liking all the promos they've been putting out. Getting me mad hyped, I can't believe it premieres in a week. It feels like only yesterday that I was screaming at the S8 finale.

Kimmalah posted:

I don't know if "lap it up" is really the right phrase. From what I've seen they make fun of the whole thing pretty mercilessly every chance they get. And I think Jensen just stopped even acknowledging anything related to shipping at cons after a while.

Not exactly. I mean, yeah, Wincest has been mocked pretty heavily on the show itself (and hilariously) but as far as Destiel goes the actual reactions from the cast and crew seem to range from "huh, well ok" to that one time Misha called it a "legitimate interpretation" (I think a writer said this once too). The "Jensen hates shipping" thing also seems to have been spawned from a fandom overreaction to a grand total of two cons banning shipping questions just because the constaff didn't want the audience to devolve into a bloodbath over it and it had nothing to do with actor request--all other occasions they just seem to treat all shipping questions as spoilers and spend their panels harmlessly goofing off because that's "safe".

All of this alleged giant feud between the shippers and the cast/writers seems to be something almost entirely invented by the shippers themselves, for whatever bizarre reason. It's probably just a side effect of Tumblr trying to convince everyone that having a hobby makes you an oppressed minority.

A lot of the Supernatural fandom is kind of the worst when it comes to inventing things to be upset by, honestly. Can't we all just write great sperglord character analysis and look at pretty fanart in peace? :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
With all this shipping talk I'm surprised that nobody has put Misha answer to the question if he's a shipper:

https://twitter.com/mishacollins/status/384055932235161600

:haw:

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

With all this shipping talk I'm surprised that nobody has put Misha answer to the question if he's a shipper:

https://twitter.com/mishacollins/status/384055932235161600

:haw:

One page back :)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Season 8 is now on netflix.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

bobkatt013 posted:

Season 8 is now on netflix.

And this is going in the OP in big honking letters. Thanks :D

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared
Now that Season 8 is on netflix and I've had a chance to consistently sit down and watch it, I have to say: does it seem to anyone else that Sam and Dean were way off character for the first half of the season? Up until about episode 9 they just seem way different, and then episode 10 rolls around and boom they're back to their normal selves (relative to the show, that is)

edit: also oh my god i can not give a gently caress about amelia or whatever her name is

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Yeah, I think the writers really came together to destroy the first half of the season.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Corny posted:

Now that Season 8 is on netflix and I've had a chance to consistently sit down and watch it, I have to say: does it seem to anyone else that Sam and Dean were way off character for the first half of the season? Up until about episode 9 they just seem way different, and then episode 10 rolls around and boom they're back to their normal selves (relative to the show, that is)

edit: also oh my god i can not give a gently caress about amelia or whatever her name is

Nobody gave a poo poo about her, and the wrapping up of her story was celebrated far and wide.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Corny posted:

All across the Supernatural fandom, from young to old, exactly ZERO fucks were given about Amelia total. You are by far not alone.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

KilGrey posted:

All across the Supernatural fandom, from young to old, exactly ZERO fucks were given about Amelia total. You are by far not alone.

But I did want the dog to stick around :(

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I liked Amelia ='(

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The first half of season 8 was pretty awful; the constant flashbacks were awkward, I didn't care about Benny or Amelia.

Once the boys' grandfather showed up and the Men of Letters plot started up, the season got way way better.

I'm pretty psyched for season 9.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Bring back the dog as their hunting partner. Two Three(?) guys and a dog in an old car with awesome rock music. Slayin' evil.

Coulrophobia
Oct 11, 2012

Corny posted:

Yeah, I don't think Dean was quite as bad this time around as he was in parts of S7 (the Amy thing :psyduck:) but I definitely wasn't buying anything Sam was selling. It's like they were trying to do an inversion of the Dean/Lisa thing from Season 6 except way dumber and that was pretty dumb to begin with too.

I mean, I believe Sam would want to settle down, but not while he knows his brother and friend are trapped in another dimension, the Leviathans are still out there (and he and Jody are the only people that know how to disable them), and the one guy who can read the Word of God got kidnapped by the King of Hell.

Amelia was also the only plotline in the show that I actively call irredeemably terrible. I always describe it as being seemingly written by a soap opera writer that accidentally wandered into the wrong writer's room and no one had the heart to tell them to leave. The whole "your husband who was killed in battle is secretly alive whoops our bad lol" thing was just the hilariously melodramatic cherry on top.

Say what you want about them and I agree that the flashbacks were awkward, but at least Benny and Purgatory were actually related to the overarching story.

f;e I don't know what is and isn't kosher for spoilers around here so I used the tags just to be safe :ohdear:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

KilGrey posted:

I always thought Amelia's story could have been interesting if they had just gone somewhere, anywhere with it. Like I remember in the old thread when some people were half-joking/half-speculating that maybe Amelia's long lost husband would turn out be some kind of revenant or some other kind of monster. Or that maybe she'd have some kind of ulterior motive instead of just playing house with Sam.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Coulrophobia posted:

I mean, I believe Sam would want to settle down, but not while he knows his brother and friend are trapped in another dimension, the Leviathans are still out there (and he and Jody are the only people that know how to disable them), and the one guy who can read the Word of God got kidnapped by the King of Hell.

f;e I don't know what is and isn't kosher for spoilers around here so I used the tags just to be safe :ohdear:

I think spoiler tags are only used for before an episode airs, and after that it's basically fair game. However, since I'm not 10000% positive either, I'll use em as well. All the leviathan were gone when Dick got stabbed. To wipe em all out, you had to take out the head, and that's what Dean did. Sam was basically completely alone, his only family gone, and no backup or idea where either Meg or Kevin had been taken. After all the poo poo he's been through it kinda made sense he'd follow his brothers wishes and just bust a fuckit and settle down.

The one thing I noticed about the Amelia storyline that I actually enjoyed was the lighting effects. It starts out all bright and happy and sunshiny when the arc starts and they are all happy, but the closer it gets to the actual ending of it, it's all black and grey. Kinda like how the lighting was handled in Mystery Spot.

That being said, I was really hoping they'd find a way to kill off Amelia cause if someone survived Sam's poison dick, it should have been the art dealer from Season 1 :colbert:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think spoiler tags are only used for before an episode airs, and after that it's basically fair game. However, since I'm not 10000% positive either, I'll use em as well. All the leviathan were gone when Dick got stabbed. To wipe em all out, you had to take out the head, and that's what Dean did. Sam was basically completely alone, his only family gone, and no backup or idea where either Meg or Kevin had been taken. After all the poo poo he's been through it kinda made sense he'd follow his brothers wishes and just bust a fuckit and settle down.

Well the OP has a big bold warning that this thread is full of spoilers for previous seasons, so it's probably OK to go without the spoiler tags. Everyone here who hasn't finished the series so far knows they're here at they're own risk.

Also the spoiler rules for TVIV in general only require you to spoiler tag stuff that hasn't aired yet. And the Netflix spoilers thing only applies to posting outside the thread for that show.

So yeah as far as I can tell, no tags necessary unless it's about future unaired plot developments that have leaked or something.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Some Numbers posted:

The first half of season 8 was pretty awful; the constant flashbacks were awkward, I didn't care about Benny or Amelia.

Once the boys' grandfather showed up and the Men of Letters plot started up, the season got way way better.

Yeah, pretty much this for me too. The problem with Amelia (and even Benny) was that it was yet another endless iteration of Sam/Dean conflict. "No, this time they are REALLY never going to talk to each other again! We swear! It's OVER!!!" It just gets really old, and it's a thread they need to bag once and for all. Also related is the retreaded ~~*FOREVER ALONE*~~ plotlines for Sam and Dean about how they can never settle down and find true love. OK, so they can't. Let them and us just accept they will be swinging bachelor monster hunters til they die, and we can all just move on.

I didn't mind Benny quite as much, because his own story was actually interesting and compelling. But him as a source of conflict between Sam and Dean was lame.

The Men of Letters stuff and their new Secret HQ is rad, and a great direction for the show (at least til they blow it up in season 12 to "shake things up and get them back on the road like Classic Supernatural").

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

This thread follows the standard TVIV spoiler rules. If it's aired, it's fair game.

Most of the stuff spoilered is addressed in the op directly after that big honking spoiler warning, so it's not really necessary to spoiler it here.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Astroman posted:

Yeah, pretty much this for me too. The problem with Amelia (and even Benny) was that it was yet another endless iteration of Sam/Dean conflict. "No, this time they are REALLY never going to talk to each other again! We swear! It's OVER!!!" It just gets really old, and it's a thread they need to bag once and for all. Also related is the retreaded ~~*FOREVER ALONE*~~ plotlines for Sam and Dean about how they can never settle down and find true love. OK, so they can't. Let them and us just accept they will be swinging bachelor monster hunters til they die, and we can all just move on.

I didn't mind Benny quite as much, because his own story was actually interesting and compelling. But him as a source of conflict between Sam and Dean was lame.

The Men of Letters stuff and their new Secret HQ is rad, and a great direction for the show (at least til they blow it up in season 12 to "shake things up and get them back on the road like Classic Supernatural").

Yeah, I've gotten pretty tired of the old "We can never have a normal life! :qq: " thing while staring longingly at Amelia/Lisa/whatever chick of the week they fall in love with.

I also didn't care much for the Benny storyline because I guess for me personally, I just didn't feel it. Like I guess I was supposed to feel really attached to him and there was supposed to be this strong bond between him and Dean because they were purgatory war buddies, but I don't feel like that really got conveyed very well. To me it just felt like "Here's this guy Benny and he's really, really good friends with Dean. Love him dammit!" I feel like they kind of missed the whole concept of showing instead of telling when it came to them, so it all rang very hollow.

Plus the whole idea of a tragic vampire struggling to not feed on humans is so played out by now.

Coulrophobia
Oct 11, 2012

I thought taking out Dick just caused the remaining Leviathans to become disorganized and retreat? "Taking out the head" wasn't entirely literal, it was just indicating that they weren't nearly as threatening without someone to give them orders (because Leviathans are actually pretty dumb). I don't know if this was ever 100% clarified, though.

Even if you could argue that he had no leads on Meg and Kevin, I still don't quite believe that he wouldn't try to figure out how to get Dean and Cas out of Purgatory. It was one of those things where I see what they were trying to do but it was executed really badly and came off as out-of-character. Even if Sam had said that he thought Dean was dead or that he tried to look but just had absolutely no leads, sure, I would've bought that, but I don't buy him just giving up as soon as Crowley ditched him.

I'd probably be a bit more forgiving of the ideas behind it if the Amelia plotline wasn't just...dumb :v:

I think a lot of S8's problems would be solved if the first half hadn't been told in flashbacks and we'd just had concurrent storylines between Sam-on-Earth and Dean-in-Purgatory dealing with their respective issues. Also if Purgatory--such a great concept--had been a little more interesting than "desaturated forest somewhere", but I guess that was a budget thing more than anything. If it had consistently been like it was in the five minutes at the end of the S7 finale I would have forgiven all the dumb things.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Coulrophobia posted:

I thought taking out Dick just caused the remaining Leviathans to become disorganized and retreat? "Taking out the head" wasn't entirely literal, it was just indicating that they weren't nearly as threatening without someone to give them orders (because Leviathans are actually pretty dumb). I don't know if this was ever 100% clarified, though.

Yeah, the leviathans didn't just disappear but as long as they don't have a leader they're basically not much worse than a tough monster like the ones hunters deal with all the time rather than an organized global threat. The tablet about them mentions it:

quote:

"Cut off the head, and the body will flounder. Waste not thy time nor your breath upon the leviathan herd. Point thy blade at the heart of their master, for from him springs all their messages. Leviathan cannot be slain but by a bone of a righteous mortal, as light and good as the leviathan are hungry and dark, washed in the three bloods of the fallen: a fallen angel, the ruler of fallen humanity, and the father of fallen beasts."

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Unruly Amoeba posted:

Castiel and the rest of the angels having to learn what and how it is to be Human.
Just Cas. The rest of the angels got kicked out just like Lucy. Only Cas lost his Grace.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

eNeMeE posted:

Just Cas. The rest of the angels got kicked out just like Lucy. Only Cas lost his Grace.

They did lose their wings and quite a bit of their mojo though. According to interviews, they still have some powers but can't teleport around. Which means they are pretty much like most demons.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I thought it killed all the leviathan because they were in Purgatory. All the ones shown on the show that the boys took out were basically just incapacitated by borax and decapitated, and the heads kept separate so they wouldn't grow back together.

Cas sucked up all of em when he juiced off Purgatory, so seeing em in there again meant they had all gone poof (to me).

Makes sense to me anyway.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I thought it killed all the leviathan because they were in Purgatory. All the ones shown on the show that the boys took out were basically just incapacitated by borax and decapitated, and the heads kept separate so they wouldn't grow back together.

Cas sucked up all of em when he juiced off Purgatory, so seeing em in there again meant they had all gone poof (to me).

It's possible that the Vampire King and Crowley wanted to clear them out a little as well.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
I watched the first couple of episodes of this when it first came out and then forgot the show existed until two months ago. :suspense: I'm all caught up now.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I just got it from looking around at wikis and stuff, I don't really have time right this minute to go back through the episodes to see what they're referencing. But basically it seems the leviathan didn't go "poof" but hung around on Earth being hunted down like regular monsters basically. I think in the episode where Dick is killed, Meg or someone mentions demons having to go through and wipe out the rest that were in the compound.

And like the previous poster said, since leviathan tried to kill off the stuff that preyed on humanity, they're probably going to have monsters hunting them too. As for why they were in Purgatory, I'm guessing Cas just didn't get them all.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

CannedMacabre posted:

I watched the first couple of episodes of this when it first came out and then forgot the show existed until two months ago. :suspense: I'm all caught up now.

One of us.

I won't be able to watch this live tonight and I am seriously bummed about it, but the second this is on Hulu I'm on it.

This show and now Shield are the only reason I'm subscribed to Hulu plus.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

cool kids inc. posted:

One of us.

I won't be able to watch this live tonight and I am seriously bummed about it, but the second this is on Hulu I'm on it.

This show and now Shield are the only reason I'm subscribed to Hulu plus.

Yeah, I got my sister hooked on it too. When we got to season 7 on Netflix, the audio was all jacked up on my Roku (all background music and FX and no dialogue). It was annoying enough to run out that night and buy the DVDs of season 7 and 8.

Coulrophobia
Oct 11, 2012
Okay re: Leviathans, here's what Crowley says in the S7 finale after Dick explodes and Kevin and Sam are freaking out:

Crowley posted:

Not to worry. I have a small army of demons outside. Cut off the head, and the body will flounder after all. [...] Without a master plan, the Levis are just another monster--hard to stomp, sure, but you have the challenge. Your job is to keep them from organizing.

So yeah, there are still Leviathans in the real world. I assume the ones in Purgatory were ones that either Cas missed somehow or that Crowley's demons killed.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Coulrophobia posted:

Okay re: Leviathans, here's what Crowley says in the S7 finale after Dick explodes and Kevin and Sam are freaking out:

So yeah, there are still Leviathans in the real world. I assume the ones in Purgatory were ones that either Cas missed somehow or that Crowley's demons killed.

But, were ALL the Leviathans let out originally? Or were there some that never got out of Purgatory? (It's a little bit of a blur for me.)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
There were a bunch still in Purgatory; Dean and Cas fought a bunch while they were there.

Coulrophobia
Oct 11, 2012

CannedMacabre posted:

But, were ALL the Leviathans let out originally? Or were there some that never got out of Purgatory? (It's a little bit of a blur for me.)

I don't think that ever really got explained one way or another. I assumed Cas absorbed them all when he went nuclear and that the ones that they found in Purgatory had been killed by other Leviathans (like the Doctor, Joyce and George were) or by Crowley, but that's still just working off assumption.

e: Apparently Sam and Dean got turned into Neopets for the virtual pet site's Halloween plotline and I haven't stopped laughing about it all day:

Coulrophobia fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 8, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Sam :ohdear:

e: Oh poo poo it's Helo from BSG!

computer parts fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 9, 2013

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Aw poo poo, Dean is desperate and holy gently caress it's Helo.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Bobby! :neckbeard:

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

This show spoils us :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Somebody ought to explain to Cas how roads work.

Hahaha oh my god, was that a Terminator 2 reference? I love this show so drat much.

empty sea fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 9, 2013

• Locked thread