Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Covok posted:

Henchmen, like the ancient skeletons, do not escape. Beating them will also close the location they are in.

Beating them will give you the option of immediately attempting to close the location they are in. It's not mandatory, nor is it automatically successful unless the location specifies that attempts to close it autosucceed.

Sometimes you might want to skip the attempt, either because you want cards further down in that location deck, or because you don't want to pay the cost associated with closing right then. (So far it's mostly been checks in my experience, but sometimes you have to dump or even return cards to the box.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Just remember that a lot of that space is so that you can fit the cards from the next five adventures.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Rutibex posted:

This is excellent, I hope they try and keep the basic cards somewhat different than Rise of the Rune lords so that the two sets can be mixed. I don't know if I would want an entire new base set if it had to be played independently.

It's definitely going to have some different characters and the two sets will be compatible, mechanically speaking. There's no telling at this point how many basic weapons/spells/items/etc they might have to repeat for a new independent base set, though.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Generally that sort of thing is done to avoid cease and desists by making sure you have to have your physical copy on hand to play. I don't suppose anyone could fault you for scanning your own copy and playing with those, but distributing them would essentially be :filez:.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I don't feel like there's an optimum, although I wouldn't consider one character to be very viable and two might struggle. We've played anywhere from three to five and they were all really enjoyable, but more characters has meant more ability to specialize and a wider variety of locations so I personally feel like more is better in this case. You may not get a large number of individual turns in a given scenario, but this is a long haul game where you'll be playing dozens of scenarios, and those turns will better focus on your strengths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Fenarisk posted:

I got to play this as a demo for the first time this last weekend at a convention, and it was a ton of fun and right up my group's alley (not much prep, no reading a lot of rules, easy to pick up, etc). I got the base game as a belated birthday present from a friend, and I'm wondering which expansions people recommend (or if all of them are good).

Here's the thing - this is not a game with expansions, this is a game released in installments. It's not a question of picking the "good" expansions. The base box starts the Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path, and there are a further five adventures in that path, which are being released separately. The intent is that you will play all of them, in order. So you don't actually need any of the addons (except maybe the Character Pack) until you've finished with the first adventure on the path, but you'll want all of them eventually, assuming you continue to be interested in the game.

• Locked thread